Timothy West/Prunella Scales - Channel 4

deckhand

Featured Posts

majorminor, on 10 Mar 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

Well, going by the "coming next week" bit at the end of the prog, Tuel Lane and a tunnel through the pennines must now be in North Walesbiggrin.png

I stand (sit) corrected :

Monday 17 March brand new: Prunella Scales and Timothy West travel the Rochdale Canal, past once-mighty mills, the epic beauty of the Pennines and the longest and the highest canal tunnel in Britain.

So how did he manage to dislodge the lock gate? Locking up and got the bow caught under the beam? Impatient and tried to ram the gates before the lock was completely full?

Edited by Kendal

Monday 17 March brand new: Prunella Scales and Timothy West travel the Rochdale Canal, past once-mighty mills, the epic beauty of the Pennines and the longest and the highest canal tunnel in Britain.

Wouldn't that be Standedge Tunnel, on the HNC? It looked to me like Standedge in the film-clip too.

The programme was very well produced. Made the canals look very good, while dealing with Pru's early dementia with respect.

Lost my father-in-law just under 2 years ago, following a long period of Altzheimers.

I hope that Timothy and Pru enjoy the next few years cruising.

• Greenie 1

Stevie101, on 10 Mar 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

It made us wonder what the 'affected by this' was supposed to mean but we decided it just made us want to go for a cruise in the sun ;0)

It's increasingly used at the end of programs that feature any sort of affliction or illness - it often can sound a bit patronising and unnecessary to those of us who are not suffering from the same type of illness (and neither is a loved one).

But I suppose such programs could trigger anxiety/worry in some people so it gives the producers a bit of a safety net if it does.

I do think on balance though it's becoming increasingly overused.

The program sounds good so I hope to catch up with it 4OP today.

Good luck to Prue. Battling old age.

Bashing boats. mmm

Forgetting things.

forgetting to un tie.

sounds very familiar.

Did any one get the issue line phone number.

Edited by woodjam

Fantastic program, really enjoyed it. Refreshing to see such genuine people and a very well made program which would appeal to many viewers. Shame it was not shown on a more mainstream channel.

The "affected by this" message at the end got us initially as well, we looked at each other and said "broken lock gates?", before the penny dropped.

I agree with all the comments about Timothy West & Prunella Scales, very enjoyable programme and very likeable people. Why was it only on More4, though? Given there are some 35,000 boats using the waterways, I'd have thought they'd show it to a much wider audience.

I thought we were pushing it at 70 & 69 but greatly heartened by Tim & Pru's example. Hoping to see their boat as we're on the South Oxford at the moment. Does anyone remember Timothy in Big Breadwinner Hogg on TV back in the 70s?

A lovely programme.

A little note for the scriptwriters:

The Caen flight is NOT a staircase lock.

Next week - the Rochdale!! Whoo Whooclapping.gifclapping.gif

Interestingly Timothy West also said that the Caen Hill flight was built largely by Irish labourers. I have always understood that the bulk of the workforce were in fact French prisoners captured during the Napoleonoc Wars and billeted in Devizes. The name Caen Hill being attributed to the fact that many of them came from the Caen area of France.

Interesting programme as it covered the area where we live. I hope I can still climb lock ladders when I am, 81

Edited by David Schweizer

Loved this programme and just can't wait to be back on the boat. One thing bothered me and that was Timothy standing on the side runner (correct name?) while in the lock. If I did that on mine my feet at least would get crushed. Is it possible to do this normally as I think that my runner is quite narrow and I do have big feet.