Timothy West/Prunella Scales - Channel 4

deckhand

Featured Posts

I can't remember the name of their current boat but it's not Honey Street. I think it's a person's name. They moor in Banbury, have seen the boat but not them.

The one e saw them on was called "Peggy Thompson"

Here Timothy West has managed to get blown across intothe offside vegetation, and shortly after was hard at work with the long shaft trying to pole the front end away from them, so he could continue his journey!

IMG_1748_zps4bb0246e.jpg

They are advertising it as a newly filmed series and I did see an article somewhere, which is when it first caught my eye, about them filming toward tail end of last year. So hoping its a bit more up to date than the 1980's .

Yes, it is modern - a friend of ours was involved in the Rochdale filming, so we look forward to seeing if she made it through the edit suite!

That looks to me like the same boat and livery as their boat Honey Street in the 1980's TV film. Maybe it was named Honey street specially for the film as they travelled on the K&A from Honey st to Reading, changing its name afterwards. Being long standing boaters It wouldn't surprise me if they kept an eye on CWDF, if so perhaps they'll come on and enlighten us.

That looks to me like the same boat and livery as their boat Honey Street in the 1980's TV film. Maybe it was named Honey street specially for the film as they travelled on the K&A from Honey st to Reading, changing its name afterwards. Being long standing boaters It wouldn't surprise me if they kept an eye on CWDF, if so perhaps they'll come on and enlighten us.

I think this is possible.

It certainly wasn't a swanky new boat, and it's 45274 seems to date is as 1988.

I really liked the fact it had had umpteen rust spots dug out, and small "dobs" of primer applied, but repairs had apparently got no further. That and the fact that an open tool box full of spanners was unceremoniously dumped on a rear bunk. I felt Tim an Prue were very much "normal" boaters, who, although they clearly could afford otherwise, were happy to carry out minimalist running repairs on their own boat.

The only think that separated them from us mere mortals was, I feel sure, the quality of the white wine they were enjoying as they made their way down the Oxford. I'm fairly confident that, unlike us, it wasn't whatever Tesco were offering at a discounted £4.99 a bottle on our last visit.

I think this is possible.

It certainly wasn't a swanky new boat, and it's 45274 seems to date is as 1988.

I really liked the fact it had had umpteen rust spots dug out, and small "dobs" of primer applied, but repairs had apparently got no further. That and the fact that an open tool box full of spanners was unceremoniously dumped on a rear bunk. I felt Tim an Prue were very much "normal" boaters, who, although they clearly could afford otherwise, were happy to carry out minimalist running repairs on their own boat.

The only think that separated them from us mere mortals was, I feel sure, the quality of the white wine they were enjoying as they made their way down the Oxford. I'm fairly confident that, unlike us, it wasn't whatever Tesco were offering at a discounted £4.99 a bottle on our last visit.

Yes I'm certain its the same boat. Named Honey st just for the film maybe and changed afterwards probably mainly for security reasons. During the film the boat broke down with a busted Aquadrive. Many B/W workers helped them through locks with stiff new gates.

The one e saw them on was called "Peggy Thompson"

Here Timothy West has managed to get blown across intothe offside vegetation, and shortly after was hard at work with the long shaft trying to pole the front end away from them, so he could continue his journey!

IMG_1748_zps4bb0246e.jpg

That boat seems to have an affinity for the offside vegetation, see the entry from our summer trip in 2011, where we came across Timothy just north of Banbury, and then later had to pull that boat off as it was hard aground on the offside. Timothy was not on board then though so not his fault!

I agree they do seem to be very down to earth which is refreshing.

We went up Caen Hill with them and Dominic West one morning in 1996. Can't remember what their boat was called. Lovely people, good boaters, good trip. At that stage their white wine of the day was champers. ISTR we all went for a beer in the pub nearly at the top.

Hope we are still boating when we are their age.

N

I am now 78 and still go boating singlehanded. It is not a problem for me as long as I get everything in the right order, watch where I put my feet and take no chances. Obviously, everything is a bit slower without a crew, but I can please myself where I go, which pub to stop at and although there is a not of cursing sometimes, it's difficult having an argument with myself! cheers.gif

My latest blog post might well interest other 1.5 BMC engine fanatics out there.

http://nbstronghold.blogspot.co.uk

I can't remember the name of their current boat but it's not Honey Street. I think it's a person's name. They moor in Banbury, have seen the boat but not them.

There's a boat up this way , named Basil- always reminds me of Ms Scales. I doubt it belongs to them thoughlaugh.png

Havent seen the programme yet, but I would like to see a programme that follows a boater so that we can genuinely see what its like to be a continuous cruiser. Someone who is travelling the canals properly. Maybe several different CC ers on different canals. All about boats, boaters, cruising, buying a boat, selling a boat, what its like cruising through Birmingham, how different it is in London, what its like going through the Anderton lift or the Stoke Bruerne tunnel, there is a whole world of boating out there that I for one would find interesting. And I am a boater. ;)) rather watch that than a street full of people on benefits (not that ive done that though)

Havent seen the programme yet, but I would like to see a programme that follows a boater so that we can genuinely see what its like to be a continuous cruiser. Someone who is travelling the canals properly. Maybe several different CC ers on different canals. All about boats, boaters, cruising, buying a boat, selling a boat, what its like cruising through Birmingham, how different it is in London, what its like going through the Anderton lift or the Stoke Bruerne tunnel, there is a whole world of boating out there that I for one would find interesting. And I am a boater. wink.png) rather watch that than a street full of people on benefits (not that ive done that though)

I already tried with Channel 4 but it seems the general populace mostly want period drama that helps them escape or the peeping tom documentary/soap that helps them feel smug....TOWIC just wont cut it ....sadly!

I am now 78 and still go boating singlehanded. It is not a problem for me as long as I get everything in the right order, watch where I put my feet and take no chances. Obviously, everything is a bit slower without a crew, but I can please myself where I go, which pub to stop at and although there is a not of cursing sometimes, it's difficult having an argument with myself! cheers.gif

My latest blog post might well interest other 1.5 BMC engine fanatics out there.

http://nbstronghold.blogspot.co.uk

That's very good Oakie, hope for you that you'll be able to enjoy your boating for many more years to come, and would be happy if I may be as lucky as you.

Peter.