Timothy West/Prunella Scales - Channel 4

deckhand

Featured Posts

(However...... I do think though that if Tim is working the boat, and Pre the gates and paddles, then responsibility for making sure the boat is not tied up when you leave the lock should firmly be with the steerer, particularly if he is not the one who has the memory problems!)

I thought the same too. It was Tim who should have been apologising, not Pru.

As a local I was spotting the locations throughout. So it was rather obvious to me when they had bits out of sequence, or ocasionally with the boat travelling in the opposite direction, as well as a few mill shots from the Lancashire side inserted into Yorkshire.

In the first half of the programme they made much of the heavily locked climb up to the summit, but in the end they spend almost the whole programme getting from Sowerby Bridge to half way between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden, where their son abandoned them, and then they glossed over the last bit. I was particularly surprised that Tormorden got barely a mention, and they whizzed straight past the more distinctive and oft-photographed features such as the guillotine gate at Tod, the Great Wall of Todmorden and the Gauxholme Railway bridge.

But enjoyable all the same.

I think if you could see it, then it hadn't sunk

Sunk is a simple past tense and past participle of sink

Sunk - "fall or descend into or below the surface or to the bottom (often followed by in or into )" Examples : The battleship sank within two hours. His foot sank in the mud.

However the contra argument could be that if it was resting on the bottom it had 'sunk' as far as it could even if it had not totally gone below the surface.

Alan, my dear boy, I do not require a lesson in English lit. WHAT are you on... I mentioned it was half SUNK, leaning quite a bit, possibly bottomed out and just resting there HALF SUNK or just HALF VISIBLE. Oh by the way, I've just remembered it was on the right of the picture. Now go to bed and leave the glass where it is.

• Greenie 2

Alan, my dear boy, I do not require a lesson in English lit. WHAT are you on... I mentioned it was half SUNK, leaning quite a bit, possibly bottomed out and just resting there HALF SUNK or just HALF VISIBLE. Oh by the way, I've just remembered it was on the right of the picture. Now go to bed and leave the glass where it is.

Wouldn't 'half sunk' be 'sinking' ?

One of the camera locations for the *side on* shot was taken from one of the inter-connections with the railway tunnel. They probably spent somewhat more than 1½ hours for the passage whilst waiting for the camera crew to get set up for some of the filming? And maybe did a bit of reversing to get a few good shots....

Thanks for that. I wondered how they got a shot from the side.

I think it is a very 'pleasant' programme to watch on a Monday evening, it conveys the pace of life on the canals, the beauty and some of the history - like any programme or film a small number of 'anoraks' will notice faults and innacuracies but it does not - or should not - detract from the overall pleasure in watching.

I was recently watching the film 'The Somme' - the soldiers were using rifles that were not manufactured prior to 1942

I was watching a 'historic farming' reenactment and they featured Charollais cows that were not imported into this country until 30 years later.

On some of the old 'cowboy' flms you can see the Indians wearing black plimsolls and rifing riding with saddles under their blanket

Just sit back and enjoy the entertainment - thats what it is.

Edit - this puter is still doing it

And Bonnie & Clyde, a police car with quartz light bulbs & modern dollar bills not bad for 1932 :)

As a local I was spotting the locations throughout. So it was rather obvious to me when they had bits out of sequence, or ocasionally with the boat travelling in the opposite direction, as well as a few mill shots from the Lancashire side inserted into Yorkshire.

In the first half of the programme they made much of the heavily locked climb up to the summit, but in the end they spend almost the whole programme getting from Sowerby Bridge to half way between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden, where their son abandoned them, and then they glossed over the last bit. I was particularly surprised that Tormorden got barely a mention, and they whizzed straight past the more distinctive and oft-photographed features such as the guillotine gate at Tod, the Great Wall of Todmorden and the Gauxholme Railway bridge.

But enjoyable all the same.

I noticed that too..............One of the mills which appeared twice in the programme is actually 5 locks beyond Summit on the downhill run to Littleborough. However that is the fault of the programme makers, and no reflection on the enchanting coverage provided by Tim and Pru.

Hopefully I will be having two weeks holiday with my caravan near Mytholmroyd at Easter, and look forward to walking and cycling much of the Rochdale again.

Definitely God's own canal.

I saw that too, agree with your description!

We have watched both episodes and have enjoyed both of them. We live very close to where the first episode was filmed and recognised all the locations, and yes some were out of sequence, We have never been on the Rochdale and thought it was lovely, in or out of sequence. I can now see why John Orentas (remember him) used to claim that most other canals were less scenic.

We've watched both episodes so far and thoroughly enjoyed them. We are on the K&A so it was nice to see that. We've never been to the Rochdale but have decided that will be our first hire holiday once we've sold our boat. I thought it looked lovely.

It is a slow pace, but that's what canals are all about!

Grumble, grumble -

It's a low budget TV production - that's why it's on More4.

They take a small (camera) crew, take lots of shots, do a few 'voice to camera' sessions, go away and much later stitch it together in a hurry.

In those terms 'twas an excellent job - better than a good amateur setup could hope to be and yet low cost enough for it to happen in the first place. Having two professional actors doing all the action was BRILLIANT because everything flowed smoothly and coherent.

Yes,

• The stitching and more than obvious repeats was disappointing - especially as exactly the same happened in last week's episode.
  • Tim's boat handling and their practices; only using one gate and then ramming it, line handling, senior person jumping off the boat while still moving; should not be a good example to beginners.
  • Using various hire fleets, though expedient (in not having to move T&P's boat around as well as preserving its anonymity) was excellent plus a plug for those companies. Aren't Shire boats lovely??

I did find hammering Prue's disability a bit distasteful and over repetitive - once is enough.

We're all spoilt by the quality of good BBC and ITV productions and not realising how much they cost to make.

Given that this was not a mainstream programme or production and thereby limited in what they could do - not to mention filming in a very restricted and hostile environment, I feel it is really fantastic - warts and all.

Blurry 'ell if I could shin up one of BW's cra**y ladders at 81 as Prue did - I'll be well pleased.

I commend the series (two more to come) to the Readers hereon.

I was surprised it took over three hours to do just over a three mile tunnel. Was this because of all the filming or where they going incredibly slowly?

That is very slow. I'd guess because of the filming. We took 1hr 47m heading east, and 1hr 37m returning west the next day. We had to wait more than 5 minutes at one of the "checkpoints" (possibly where the camera was filming from in the programme) because we had nearly caught up with the boat in front, otherwise we would probably have managed it in under 1½ hours