Timothy West/Prunella Scales - Channel 4

deckhand

Featured Posts

Oh I thought the slow speed was due to the tunnel being so narrow...looked a really interesting passage to do, though not sure if I fancy 1.5hrs under ground......I like wide open spaces :)

Grumble, grumble -

It's a low budget TV production - that's why it's on More4.

[snip]

• Tim's boat handling and their practices; only using one gate and then ramming it, line handling, senior person jumping off the boat while still moving; should not be a good example to beginners.

[snip]

Ouch yes - there was a very scary moment when Pru reached for the lock ladder to secure her rope, while the boat was moving forward pretty fast. Could have resulted in a broken arm at the least.

But a great programme. I too hope they don't keep blathering on about her disability, but I think they will sad.png

Just watched the Rochdale one and again thoroughly enjoyed it

What is annoying me though is trying to think which other canal program Tim West narrated. Each time he speaks over the images it takes me back to another canal related program and I can't for the life of me think what it is....does any body know?

Ps why was it safer to bow haul the boat past the knackered bridge? I would have thought the ropes would create more of a hazard.

Ps why was it safer to bow haul the boat past the knackered bridge? I would have thought the ropes would create more of a hazard.

No-one on board so no risk to personnel

Edited by Bullfrog

What is annoying me though is trying to think which other canal program Tim West narrated. Each time he speaks over the images it takes me back to another canal related program and I can't for the life of me think what it is....does any body know?

West also presented eight series of the Central TV series about canals and narrowboating, Water World. Thank you Wiki

It was "Waterworld"

Just watched the Rochdale one and again thoroughly enjoyed it

I think that was because they didn't want anyone on the boat as it went under the bridge in case it collapsed or bits fell off it (H&S). I wonder if they would have let anyone else's boat pass that way?

Edit:- see I cross posted, you guys are just too dam quick

Edited by Pete & Helen

Well to me they only seemed to take about 10 minutes to get through it. 3 hours!! the program was only an hour in length.

Actually if you watch it on 4od you can see it,s only 47 minutes long.

The rest is bluddy adverts....

Doing this type of program takes a long time and if they were to show you an hour program after shooting an hour you would be lucky to see them move more than a mile, as said its a bit of a mix up but they will have no say in how it is edited, i still find it interesting to watch and well done to both of them.

A well narrated obs doc of the BCN challenge - now that would be worth watching.

perhaps the idea needs to be pitched to Ch4, maybe with Tim and Pru as Narrators / Guests.....perhaps the BCN orgnisining committee could invite them along and see how it develops?

After seeing the Time Lapsed sequence put together for last years attempt (by Tawny Owl of this Parish? I stand to be corrected!) it looks like it could make a very interesting program....:)

Lovely programme.It conveys the essence of why we enjoy cruising. Noted that they did not bother to go from Summit to Manchester?The bit on Standedge Tunnel was well presented.At least one shot of the boat from an adit. .Last time we went through,we had a very interesting running comentary from our CaRT man,so went through slowly.

perhaps the idea needs to be pitched to Ch4, maybe with Tim and Pru as Narrators / Guests.....perhaps the BCN orgnisining committee could invite them along and see how it develops?

After seeing the Time Lapsed sequence put together for last years attempt (by Tawny Owl of this Parish? I stand to be corrected!) it looks like it could make a very interesting program....smile.png

I was thinking more along these lines:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_Most_Dangerous_Roads#Episode_list

2 or 3 celebrity pairs (maybe with an allocated proper boater for each boat), with similar sorts of characters to those in this series. Lots of playful banter, rivalries, fun & games. Profiles of the successful teams from previous years with the celebs picking up tips. Planning the routes etc. and then the actual 'race' with a real-time graphic of the points being scored by each team. And surely someone (Phil Jupitus maybe?) ending up in the cut. Programme ends with the post-event fall-out in the pub.

I'd watch that!

I was thinking more along these lines:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_Most_Dangerous_Roads#Episode_list

2 or 3 celebrity pairs (maybe with an allocated proper boater for each boat), with similar sorts of characters to those in this series. Lots of playful banter, rivalries, fun & games. Profiles of the successful teams from previous years with the celebs picking up tips. Planning the routes etc. and then the actual 'race' with a real-time graphic of the points being scored by each team. And surely someone (Phil Jupitus maybe?) ending up in the cut. Programme ends with the post-event fall-out in the pub.

I'd watch that!

I might mention it to my old colleagues at the Beeb

I'd watch that!

I might mention it to my old colleagues at the Beeb

sounds like it could be fun.....certainly to be involved in the filming as well as seeing the final result!

(However...... I do think though that if Tim is working the boat, and Pre the gates and paddles, then responsibility for making sure the boat is not tied up when you leave the lock should firmly be with the steerer, particularly if he is not the one who has the memory problems!)

We were boating last week, the boat sharing the lock tried to move off when the man steering found out that for some reason his wife had tied the front line as well as the centre line. After a bit of a hooha he joined me in the lock; I asked if he had done a 'Timothy West'. From now on this action shall be known as a 'Timothy West'. smile.png

It was "Waterworld"

Is this available anywhere, or does it get repeated?

Thanks smile.png

As for the program last night - I really couldn't care less about continuity errors and suchlike, I admire what Timothy & Pru are doing and it further makes me want to cut the ropes and follow in their footstep.

Edited by Psycloud

We have watched both episodes and have enjoyed both of them. We live very close to where the first episode was filmed and recognised all the locations, and yes some were out of sequence, We have never been on the Rochdale and thought it was lovely, in or out of sequence. I can now see why John Orentas (remember him) used to claim that most other canals were less scenic.

Funnily enough i have just been looking back through some old threads for reference and came across John Orentas having a ding dong with someone called ChrisW. Some of todays forum fallouts are just balloons on sticks by comparison.

I did actually meet John (it is a surname you cant forget) a few years back at a Rochdale Canal festival in the Summit pound. We were directed to him as we (4) wanted to join the society. We introduced ourselves and asked for membership to which he replied for us to wait where we were and he would be back in a couple of minutes and sort it out.

Half an hour later he had still not returned so we went to the Summit pub and drank our membership money (£40 for the four of us iirc). I've still not joined, may do one day.

We love this series, it seems to capture the essence of what it's all about as far as we are concerned.

I was intrigued to see that they first went on the canals in 1976, the same year as us, we hired at Napton and went north up the Ashby.

We are also enjoying the Dover rebuild on at 5pm .... I haven't managed to catch them all, but he looks to have done a very thorough, no-expense-spared job.

We love this series, it seems to capture the essence of what it's all about as far as we are concerned.

I was intrigued to see that they first went on the canals in 1976, the same year as us, we hired at Napton and went north up the Ashby.

We are also enjoying the Dover rebuild on at 5pm .... I haven't managed to catch them all, but he looks to have done a very thorough, no-expense-spared job.

Sorry but he not only completely spoilt a very nice old boat but I'm sure some expense was indeed spared.

It has been mentioned on here previously that there were issues with the hull on Dover that were not sorted prior to them spending what yes must have been a significant amount on the 'modern' fit out.

Ed. found the relevant thread/posts

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61546&p=1174826

Edited by The Dog House

And then their son arrives from goodness knows where to help with the 'heavy locks'. He joins them in Hebden Bridge and leaves before Todmorden? He can't have been on the boat for more than about 3 miles!

And, he had a suitcase with him all for 3 miles! It looked empty to me thoughlaugh.png There was something strange about their Son and I can't put my finger on it...............I know, he didn't have his wings with him! fatigue.gif

And, he had a suitcase with him all for 3 miles! It looked empty to me thoughlaugh.png There was something strange about their Son and I can't put my finger on it...............I know, he didn't have his wings with him! fatigue.gif

He arrived with the suitcase and a bag on his shoulder, and left with just the suitcase, whixch I afree was probably empty, but then was he supposed to have stayed overnight.

There were lot's on "continuity" issues, we approached the same lock about 3 time I think, but I still very much enjoyed the program, and I thought it was a great promoter of canals. Shame it is on More4 though, not that many people are going to see it.