Timothy West/Prunella Scales - Channel 4

deckhand

Featured Posts

Well I'm normally the first person to moan about dumbed down TV, and particularly where it is dumbed down TV about my passions of inland waterways, or maybe railways.

I guess if I wanted to I could easily fault this program, so am not quite sure why I'm not seeing it in the same vein as many that have gone before.

Maybe it is because having lost my mum to Alzheimers I totally applaud anybody who is as well known to the public as this couple choosing to make very public statements about it. It is a subject that is too often far too taboo, and I'm immensely grateful that the couple are prepared to raise the public profile on how it is viewed.

Maybe it is because we have actually followed this couple boating down the Oxford, and that this insight really is very much how they go about boating when they just want to enjoy the canals like everybody else, without the cameras rolling. They really are both absolutely charming.

Maybe it is simply that I stand in awe of a diminutive 81 year old lady who tackles these lock flights and says steadfastly "I'm not ready to hang up my windlass yet". In my mind I can't see myself still doing it at that age, but then, who knows?

Whatever the reason, I feel very different about this program from other "canal adventures" that have gone before, and very much hope the remaining episodes are equally entertaining.

May they carry on as long as they are able, and I'll help with as many stiff paddles and heavy gates as they will let me!

• Greenie 4

Have a greenie, Alan. I loved the program and thought it gave a fair representation of canals and they are a lovely couple and I take my hat off to them putting up with film crews and talking so frankly and unemotionally about Prus memory loss.

So what if mooring space had been made available for them so that they could do an off canal visit or if they had a bit of help here and there? The good publicity that this program will get for the canals makes it well worth while in my view.

haggis

It was a nice prog but the canal seemed so crowded. Not like when we were there. We wondered how many film people were around on the boat getting in the way of the experts and asking for retakes. (Just back up and do it again dear.) There was at least one person by the cups.

We also wondered how much they interfered with the old ducks normal operations. The forgotten tie up seemed to be for a tea break and not a normal thing. Pru soldiered on through everything in a slightly not with it haze of delight at being out boating.

Meanwhile I wonder how much Tim was showing his age by suffering fools grumpily and not having his humour improved by steering a too big, heavy boat he wasn't use to doing long hours rather than stopping as they must keep to a schedule. His comment of ideally having someone ahead on the flight to set the locks was maybe a hint that he felt the film people should arrange help for Pru. With spare bodies and the odd lurking lock helper I often make such a suggestion that the wife might need help. Replies are often interesting and cause certain suggestions to be made to said persons if they refuse.

Going back to the programme the film often showed them moored at lock and bridge moorings while leaving the boat to visit canal side things. What it didn't show is the reaction of others trying to moor to use the bridge and finding a hire boat moored where they wanted to get off the boat.

Maybe there should be an out-takes version brought out as part of a dvd of the series.

You are assuming this was the real world and not television.

The last day at Devises festival was actually the first of filming, to make sure they made it.

There is no hire base at Bath and if you look closely you will see a C&RT blue shirt at the first lock just before Pru climbs out. The whole thing was organised with the help of C&RT and the K&A Trust.

Ken

You are assuming this was the real world and not television.

The last day at Devises festival was actually the first of filming, to make sure they made it.

There is no hire base at Bath and if you look closely you will see a C&RT blue shirt at the first lock just before Pru climbs out. The whole thing was organised with the help of C&RT and the K&A Trust.

Ken

I'm shocked cheers.gif

K & A is a lovely canal being widebeam some of the locks are hard work and some swing bridges may need a second person but it is well worth it recommended pubs Barge at Honey Street centre of the universe. The 3 Magpies ? near seend a short walk to north of canal .Good fish and chip restaurant near station in Bradford on Avon.

Happy boating .

There is no hire base at Bath

What do Bath Narrowboats do for a living, then?

I didn't understand Ken's comment.

It was an Anglo Welsh boat, wasn't it, and their site certainly lists a base in Bath.

Linky

What do Bath Narrowboats do for a living, then?

We'll they used to build boats (they built The Dog House) We'll fitted it out.

They ceased not long after they built our boat and were subsequently doing alterations and other boaty type stuff. As far as I know they still do.

I don't know if they have any hire boats as well.

I'm continually amazed how some people just don't seem to understand how programmes like this get made. I've already said how enjoyable and moving I found it, but It's a total fiction made to resemble and occasionally reflect a reality. Sequences are filmed out of sequence, then threaded together in a way that seems to make sense to the viewer. And filming is expensive, so of course there would have been a researcher, and arrangements made for things like convenient mooring, etc.

Professionally I thought there was some lazy editing, most likely because they'd run out of material so had to rely on repeating the same shots, sometimes from different angles e.g. the same boat being passed twice.

But still, as an advert for canal boating, it was excellent. Two much loved individuals, a moving personal story, heritage and scenery, and messing about in boats. Can't go wrong!

• Greenie 1

I'm continually amazed how some people just don't seem to understand how programmes like this get made. I've already said how enjoyable and moving I found it, but It's a total fiction made to resemble and occasionally reflect a reality. Sequences are filmed out of sequence, then threaded together in a way that seems to make sense to the viewer. And filming is expensive, so of course there would have been a researcher, and arrangements made for things like convenient mooring, etc.

Professionally I thought there was some lazy editing, most likely because they'd run out of material so had to rely on repeating the same shots, sometimes from different angles e.g. the same boat being passed twice.

But still, as an advert for canal boating, it was excellent. Two much loved individuals, a moving personal story, heritage and scenery, and messing about in boats. Can't go wrong!

Very good if I may say so? Should I?

Yes, a greenie. A rare commodity.

Martyn

Just come to it late, (though I hope it's recording!).

Somewhat magically she has just used more or less the same line as she somewhat surprised Cath with when we met them out boating.......

"A lock is like a woman, it gives a little groan when it's ready!...."

Haven't seen much of it, but her infectious enthusiasm is lovely, I think!

Thanks for proving I wasn't just imagining hearing what Prunella said there !! smile.png

It was an Anglo Welsh boat, wasn't it, and their site certainly lists a base in Bath.

Linky

Not on the River Avon they don't, which is where they embarked, just next to Pultney weir. Note the lack of handover, can't remember which day in the sequence that was.

Ken

Linky

Not on the River Avon they don't, which is where they embarked, just next to Pultney weir. Note the lack of handover, can't remember which day in the sequence that was.

Ken

They just picked the boat up which was moored almost alongside another boat at a slight angle IIRC and headed off. As you say, no handover and portrayed as being close to the weir.

Roger

We'll they used to build boats (they built The Dog House) We'll fitted it out.

They ceased not long after they built our boat and were subsequently doing alterations and other boaty type stuff. As far as I know they still do.

I don't know if they have any hire boats as well.

Their web site portrays them as operating a trip boat and day boats, but also as hiring out Anglo Welsh boats.

I have watched the programme this evening and found the couple utterly charming.

Just watched this on 4OD and thought it was an excellent show.

Anglo Welsh hire base is at the top of the Bath Flight of locks, just West of Sydney Gardens. They where shown boarding the vessel down by Bath Rugby Club on the River Avon, down stream of the weir. A great overnight spot, which we have spent a couple of peaceful nights there, unfortantly I believe that Bath City Council have closed these moorings which would be a great shame!

We where on the K&A about the same period that this was filmed ( we met the Hire boat used for the filming on the return voyage with a crew from the yard who said they had been assisting with the filming!) and didn't see a single CART Lockiee , or so many free mooring spots..... Any one would think that there was a production crew involved to organises such things..... :-)

Can't wait to see the next one!

Any programme like this in what might be termed the journey genre has to be somewhat artificial to accommodate the practical difficulties of filming, so it doesn't surprise or bother me that these things happen. Just like Michael Portillo on his Great Railway Journeys series, it has to be arranged for them to meet various local experts along the way, and there has to be some sort of plan for filming. I find it quite encouraging if the CRT were helping the whole process along, it shows that they understand the need to portray the canals in a good light and encourage more people into boating. But perhaps not the man who wrecked the lock gate.

What matters it that the basic story being told is genuine, that of two people who love the canals and don't want to let old age stop them. Maybe the programme glossed over the problems of the K&A because the TV people wanted a feelgood programme and the CRT were only too happy to help deliver that, but evidently lots of people do take holidays along the K&A so they're coping somehow.

As I don't need to, I don't know what generally happens if a boater asks a gongoozler to lend a hand at locks with pushing a gate or holding a rope. I guess it varies but would have thought most would help if asked politely? Especially if it's fairly obvious that you need help and you're not just being lazy.

*bump*

on tonight! Got my TV Slot booked at home on the sofa....

The Rochdale , 9pm MORE4

Really looking forward to this one, have been along the K&A and know it fairly well (in fact going again next week, yippee!) but the Pennines is a new one for me!

*bump*

on tonight! Got my TV Slot booked at home on the sofa....

The Rochdale , 9pm MORE4

Really looking forward to this one, have been along the K&A and know it fairly well (in fact going again next week, yippee!) but the Pennines is a new one for me!

I'm watching it with a big smile on my face, because the Rochdale is my favourite canal.

Went on my first hire boat on the Rochdale and have been hooked ever since

I don't usually bother with canal related tv programmes but I've been watching the Rochdale episode of this series because I love that canal.

I really tried to like it but the constant repetition, and general dullness of it have only served to make me sleepy!

And then their son arrives from goodness knows where to help with the 'heavy locks'. He joins them in Hebden Bridge and leaves before Todmorden? He can't have been on the boat for more than about 3 miles!

Very disappointed. Reminded me why I don't bother with television much. They just kept saying the same things over and over again. Felt painfully drawn out.

I imagine that people who don't know the canals well would have come away imagining that the Yorkshire side of the Rochdale is an epic undertaking when in fact its about 14 miles and 30 odd locks. It's quite do-able in a day but makes a relaxing 2 day trip.

Another great episode. Enjoyed seeing the stunning scenery in the Pennines!

When the centre line parted I hope it was only a glass in the galley that broke and not one of the windows!!