Cut and pasted from the Engines Plus website (who marinised many Isuzu engines used in hire fleets): Standard engine foot print similar to BMC, Lister and Isuzu – Keeping labour installation costs down So probably not as difficult as using another manufacturer. I have doubts as to what an inland engine survey will tell you. I suspect the best you may get is that the surveyor starts the engine. I think the Engines Plus Isuzu had an oil drain pump fitted, so it would be a simple job for you to take a sample and send t off for analysis, but I am not sure it would be worth the expense. If it starts easily from cold, I mean first thing in the morning, there is virtually no exhaust smoke apart from possibly immediately after starting for a very short time, does not spew visible fumes from the oil filler when the engine is running and hot (compare the volume of gases with other boats you look at) then I would suggest the engine is serviceable. When it is hot and as you rev it you should not hear any knocking noises. being ex-hire as long a sit is from a reputable fleet it is more likely to have had the proper oil changes than a privately owned boat. It is also likely to have been constructed to make servicing and repair easier than on many private boats. FWIW worth I bought a 15 yea old ex-hire boat and did not even consider the engine hours. Hire bats tend to do a lot of hours under load while hot, that is far better for the engine that being left on idle in neutral for hours on end to charge the batteries or to get hot water.