Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, John Brightley said:

12 hours ago, Rob-M said:

That wasn't owned for long.

Indeed! - it seems like no time at all.
Can anybody remember the asking price last time around?

On 12/02/2023 at 20:38, magnetman said:

Nice to see Archie doing well. I was talking to Michael Pinnock about it recently he said it was a bit nackered after being out the water down at the royal docks with nothing over the hold. He was offered it but left it.

A very nice boat that one. I like the short extension cabin it is very handy and doesn't spoil the boat.

Archimedes when Al & Trish Akehurst had it. Here paired with UCCs Great Britain going down Braunston locks. Al's comment was that GB would make a good work boat with the top cut off!

Archimedes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They hauled the boats up because the site there at Thames Ditton is going to be used for water extraction. 

There was a modern motor narrow boat which was originally in steam and went down about 20 yars ago then there was a GU motor and butty the butty sunk and the motor was saved amd taken to Laleham. Also there was a nice old tug called Enterprise which sunk and was salvaged to Laleham .

The butty hasn't been down as long probably about ten yars I think. 

I tried to buy the modern motor before it sunk but the owner was a bit of a twit about so it went down. This was actually more like 30 yars ago as it was when I bought my first narrow boat in 1994. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

It is interesting you mention that as when the butty was there with the Grand Union motor I seem to recall it was perhaps not a matching boat but I'm not sure about it. I think it could indeed be a modern copy.

The motor boat which they raised at the same time is definitely not old.

The Grand Union motor was taken to Laleham before it was allowed to sink.

1 hour ago, Francis Herne said:

If this is "Bullfinch" as implied by one of the pictures in the Facebook ad, isn't it actually a (somewhat) modern replica?

It isn't a Grand Union if this is the hold

330359878_618660446785549_93955120119222

1 hour ago, Francis Herne said:

If this is "Bullfinch" as implied by one of the pictures in the Facebook ad, isn't it actually a (somewhat) modern replica?

It isn't a Grand Union if this is the hold

330359878_618660446785549_93955120119222

5 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

The link I clicked on went to but as the forum is playing sill whatsist and I have missed loads of posts I dont know it thats right

1937 Ex working woolwich bullnose

£6,000

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The link I clicked on went to but as the forum is playing sill whatsist and I have missed loads of posts I dont know it thats right

1937 Ex working woolwich bullnose

£6,000

I know the ad says that, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong. One of the pics on the ad is of Bullfinch in better days, and the details visible in the other pictures match that while being wrong for a '30s boat.

I'm honestly a bit tempted by this - seems a good price and I could use the space. Not sure towing it with Lark would go well though!

Edited by Francis Herne

12 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

I know the ad says that, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong. One of the pics on the ad is of Bullfinch in better days, and the details visible in the other pictures match that while being wrong for a '30s boat.

I'm honestly a bit tempted by this - seems a good price and I could use the space. Not sure towing it with Lark would go well though!

It is interesting because the motor boat which was also raised is a vague copy of a Grand Union. Not a very good impression but more similarity than just a standard narrow boat. When I tried to buy it all those yars ago in the 90s the owner was going on about how it was an incredibly valuable replica. I don't think so but it is an interesting vessel. Apparently originally in steam but the steam plant was cleverly removed before the boat sunk.

Both of these boats are interesting and worth looking at I think. Neither of them are 1937 or made by Harland and Wolff.