Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

Mmmmm, lovely.

My Dad served on HMS Vanguard, so it would be an emotional thing to own.

My late father in law was one of the crew who took Vanguard to Faslane for her final journey.

Edited by Ray T

Indeed. It was on for about £25k ten + years ago in London area so it seems a bit odd it would be worth more. Commercial Boat Services do seem to have put excessively high asking prices on the L&L boats the CRT took as well. Some might say they don't want to sell them for some reason. 

ETA having said that the L&L boats don't seem to be on the list any more. I'm sure they were still listed very recently. 

1 hour ago, merline said:

I must admit I missed this one - I didn't know it was for sale.

5 minutes ago, junior said:

Needs to drop about another £10k I would say.

Less than that, I would have thought.

Mind you motorised 1850s narrow boats come up so rarely there really is nothing to compare to.

The L&L boats are still listed under a different link to CBS 

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/dealer/commercial-boat-services-411072/rep--0/

29 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I must admit I missed this one - I didn't know it was for sale.

Less than that, I would have thought.

Mind you motorised 1850s narrow boats come up so rarely there really is nothing to compare to.

The 64,000 dollar question was whether the Equus was a bit wide. It seems to have got down the North okay but one does wonder if it got through Napton and Marston Doles. 

Maybe things have changed and I have not been that way for about 15 yars but last time I did, which coincidentally was in an 1880s motorised Bantock, the locks seemed fairly narrow. 

Edited by magnetman

The worst Napton lock has been rebuilt at the end that was  formerly a problem.

Marston Doles I am less clear about.

We encountered Equus on the Ashton a few years back, so clearly it is OK on a "typical" narrow canal, (whatever one of those might be!)

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Indeed. It was on for about £25k ten + years ago in London area so it seems a bit odd it would be worth more. Commercial Boat Services do seem to have put excessively high asking prices on the L&L boats the CRT took as well. Some might say they don't want to sell them for some reason. 

ETA having said that the L&L boats don't seem to be on the list any more. I'm sure they were still listed very recently. 

CBS are sometimes a bit funny about selling the boats they have advertised, a little while ago I tried pretty hard to buy a boat they had advertised ('twas a historic too) but they refused to sell it. The boat then ended up being scrapped 

3 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

CBS are sometimes a bit funny about selling the boats they have advertised, a little while ago I tried pretty hard to buy a boat they had advertised ('twas a historic too) but they refused to sell it. The boat then ended up being scrapped 

Something funny about the CRT S8 / S13 process perhaps not watertight. 

The L&L boats are still listed under a different link to CBS 

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/dealer/commercial-boat-services-411072/rep--0/

And Equus is listed at both £35k and £31.5k on that link, so presumably the price is coming down. 

Since their boats are out of the water and away from the canal, does their price include dropping it back in the water, or is that an extra the buyer would have to cover?

Edited by David Mack

Indeed. It was on for about £25k ten + years ago in London area so it seems a bit odd it would be worth more.

Boat prices have gone up a lot lately. The change in price doesn't seem unreasonable over that time.

The 64,000 dollar question was whether the Equus was a bit wide. It seems to have got down the North okay but one does wonder if it got through Napton and Marston Doles.

It was previously for sale in the South - Iver on the Slough Arm iirc, and later ended up on the L&L, so presumably it passed through many narrow locks between the two, if not necessarily Napton and Marston Doles.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

More likely they have a known buyer with agreed knock down price waiting and dont want to let them down.

The poster I was replying to said that the boat was scrapped in preference to him buying it. 

Then it's probably down to CRT and the amount deemed owing in fines and outstanding fees. If this and the boats value arent met, CRT would rather destroy a boat than let someone have it for a song.

The use of section 8 is always a dubious move, deny someone a licence and then sieze their boat for being on the water without a licence.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Then it's probably down to CRT and the amount deemed owing in fines and outstanding fees. If this and the boats value arent met, CRT would rather destroy a boat than let someone have it for a song.

The use of section 8 is always a dubious move, deny someone a licence and then sieze their boat for being on the water without a licence.

Given the boat in question I can well believe that actually.  Still, a blessing in disguise really as I'd be a very poor man had I bought it and done the required work...

Other S8 operators (Redhill and Sirius come to mind) are more straightforward, I bought my current project off one of them and it was pretty painless 

• Greenie 2

Some boats would presumably go into a revolving S8 door but this one was a "historic" which is slightly interesting. Some people really like historic boats and do the best for them.

I am not making any suggestions about the potential purchaser but is it possible that the CRT 'vet' potential buyers of older boats?

(crossed posts with above)

Edited by magnetman

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Except if CRT have to write off the unpaid fees and fines anyway, surely its better for them to get something back by selling the boat - it will almost always be more than the scrap value.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I am not making any suggestions about the potential purchaser but is it possible that the CRT 'vet' potential buyers of historic boats.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Except if CRT have to write off the unpaid fees and fines anyway, surely its better for them to get something back by selling the boat - it will almost always be more than the scrap value.

CRT are NOT interested in the provenance of boats which have crossed their enforcement threshold, and would rather them rot, sink, split in half when lifted or move to the nearest EA backwater than let them go for anything less than the previous owner owes them.

This has been quite apparent over the last 10 years.

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

What you say makes absolute logical sense - but I don't think 'logic' is in the C&RT dictionary.

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

I believe CRT and BW before them, are reluctant to sell rough boats cheaply in case they go back in the water with a new owner and the whole cycle repeats itself, costing them even more money.