Water shortages lead to restrictions on major canal route.

Featured Posts

World trade set for more chaos as Panama Canal continues to be hit by exceptional draught (msn.com)

The world trade is likely to be affected as the Panama Canal Authority (ACP) has announced its decision to restrict the number of ships passing through the interoceanic route.

From July 30, the number of vessels allowed to cross daily will be reduced from 36, the number averaged during Panama's rainy season, to 32.

This decision is linked to the extended drought that has hit the area, causing water shortages since January.

As the Canal's locks need to be fed water by two artificial lakes - Gatun and Alajuela - in order to work, the prolonged drought has been dictating the number of ships and how much cargo they can carry for months.

28 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Not sure that will impact my summer cruising, more concerned about the T&M, B&F and Shroppie staying open.

Shroppie's closed at Audlem is it not? (But not at the moment on account of no water)

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The world trade is likely to be affected as the Panama Canal Authority (ACP) has announced its decision to restrict the number of ships passing through

Haven't they thought of asking ships to share locks instead?

20 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Haven't they thought of asking ships to share locks instead?

I'm not sure how the traffic splits between the new, larger locks and the old ones - there are certain complications in working out which is more efficient. The new locks are larger and so in principle use more water, but the new locks have side ponds saving about 60% of that water - however the new ones are in two three rise staircases and are not duplicated so the staircases sometimes have to be reversed, the old ones are in a three rise, a two rise and a single and are duplicated, so the staircases are never reversed

The new locks are around 25% longer and 60% wider (if I've interpreted the figures correctly. 

Someone else can work out which set of locks use the most water...

Whatever, I think it's safe to say if I turned up on Juno they'd tell me wait for another boat to share with....

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Not sure that will impact my summer cruising, more concerned about the T&M, B&F and Shroppie staying open.

Shroppie will never close because of lack of water unless the good folk of Wolverhampton stop using their toilets.

On 28/07/2023 at 23:03, jam said:

Shroppie will never close because of lack of water unless the good folk of Wolverhampton stop using their toilets.

I believe I'm right in saying that, for the same reason, the Shroppie close to Autherley Junction very rarely freezes. Maybe don't swim in it though... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We have given up the boat we were cc’ing for 3 years now returned home to Goa India. We have had around 2 meters of rain over around 6 weeks monsoon season here, pity we can’t send you some. Next adventure is 6 months plus camping going round the outback of Australia nicking sons 4x4 for the trip. Some tracks over 1000 miles all dirt and you can do whole track in around 3 weeks and meet no one. Good as you don’t meet c’moorers either. Lol

• Happy 1

On 28/07/2023 at 09:16, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I read the title and my first thought was Leeds and Liverpool.

Ditto

On 30/07/2023 at 08:54, Tonka said:

Back pumps from the sea upto the lakes from both sides. It is not rocket science

Not a good idea to put sea water into a sensitive FW habitat.  However a commercial advantage would be that you could load the ships more heavilyif the cana became saltwater instead of fresh.

On 28/07/2023 at 08:14, Alan de Enfield said:

World trade set for more chaos as Panama Canal continues to be hit by exceptional draught (msn.com)

The world trade is likely to be affected as the Panama Canal Authority (ACP) has announced its decision to restrict the number of ships passing through the interoceanic route.

From July 30, the number of vessels allowed to cross daily will be reduced from 36, the number averaged during Panama's rainy season, to 32.

This decision is linked to the extended drought that has hit the area, causing water shortages since January.

As the Canal's locks need to be fed water by two artificial lakes - Gatun and Alajuela - in order to work, the prolonged drought has been dictating the number of ships and how much cargo they can carry for months.

Well I shall get on the phone to Stanley and get them to repair the dock ready for re-opening up the old route.

IMG_5037.JPG

Just now, oboat said:

Well I shall get on the phone to Stanley and get them to repair the dock ready for re-opening up the old route.

IMG_5037.JPG

image.thumb.jpeg.a2b9ae26b1ba556a068bcf2e1b6acd76.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought the 'old route' was thru' the roaring 40s, all the way around the 'bottom' (Cape Horn) and up the other side

Yes and this is how many ships ended up.

The opening of the canal had a devastating effect on the local ship repair/supply trade and thus the economy. 

Didn't help the South Wales coal trade either.
image.thumb.jpeg.69d955cd687bce2ac2b2f3e7e01f22ca.jpeg

Edited by oboat

I first went through the Panama when still a deck apprentice and it was run by the Americans. The ships were much smaller then but being on tankers we never shared a lock. The first timers were wound up by the crew about the mules that pulled the ship through the locks and were given carrots to feed them! We had to anchor in the lake overnight as tanker movement was not allowed at night, lots of the crew got ready for a swim until the pilot said he’d seen alligators in there recently. A few years ago we went through on the sailing ship Star Flyer from the pacific end and shared the locks with a reffer ship. The new locks were being built alongside and they are big enough for much larger ships but do not use the mules instead they have a tug which goes in the lock with them, an accident waiting to happen.

There is a proposal to build a sea level canal through Nicaragua financed by the Chinese.

P1000089.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

The new locks were being built alongside and they are big enough for much larger ships but do not use the mules instead they have a tug which goes in the lock with them, an accident waiting to happen.

A bit like this then...