Volunteer spreading the love - Gifford Park Mooring - merged topics

bigcol

Featured Posts

Unfortunately the owner of burnt out boat has made a visit.

His boat is named and showing licence number, suspected Arson

wasn't contacted by anyone, first he learnt of his fire whilst Bumping into forum member Mike Tee on the tow path

Our sympathys for the Dave, owner of the boat, certainly won't be his day today.

Col

Bugger

Richard

Yes I was thinking this. Quiet mooring zones are an EXCELLENT idea.

I'll always use them in preference. I hope they spread prolifically.

Too true.

We recently had to endure a party with music going full blast on a boat tied up across the cut from us. It was a wide beam and the roof was turned into a temporary dance floor.

it is pointless to stick one's head in the sand and say "why buy a house next to a canal ..." etc. It is as one-sided and selfish as the householder in question is being.

Do you think so? Surely if you take the pro's of that location (pleasant waterside views, ducks, pretty painted boats) you must also accept the cons (occasional noise and coal smoke). You might buy a house next to a railway station because you appreciated the convenience of the transport which it offered, but it would be unreasonable and indeed churlish if you then complained about the noise made by the trains.

We live next to a butcher's shop. We appreciate the easy availability of good quality meat. The shop has its own farm, so sometimes if the wind's in a certain direction there are "farmyard" smells permeating our garden. That's fair enough: the farm and shop were there before we bought the house, so we take the rough with the smooth. This householder should shut his trap and do likewise.

• Greenie 3

Presumably this is our man?

Taken from part of CRT "Sharing Towpaths Consultation.

Since it appears clear from his allegation, supposing it to be true, that the problem is with very long stay semi-permanent residential boats, what chance does he think of getting CRT to enforce a 48hr visitor mooring when it has done nothing effective to enforce a 14 day limit? No amount of 'rules' will help unless there is a reasonable expectation that there will be 'consequences' for ignoring them. Assumes you agree with the rules in the first place! (But do you have a choice?)

Good point, Mike. Incidentally, though I suspect that CART don't very often enforce the mooring time limits, if they do so what happens? Do they simply untie the ropes and push the boat out into the cut?

It seems clear the householder has caused damage to the towpath and is also in the habit of harassing boaters sometimes with veiled threats of the son being called , where are the police CART , why have neither taken any action against him.

Do you think so? Surely if you take the pro's of that location (pleasant waterside views, ducks, pretty painted boats) you must also accept the cons (occasional noise and coal smoke). You might buy a house next to a railway station because you appreciated the convenience of the transport which it offered, but it would be unreasonable and indeed churlish if you then complained about the noise made by the trains.

We live next to a butcher's shop. We appreciate the easy availability of good quality meat. The shop has its own farm, so sometimes if the wind's in a certain direction there are "farmyard" smells permeating our garden. That's fair enough: the farm and shop were there before we bought the house, so we take the rough with the smooth. This householder should shut his trap and do likewise.

If you buy a house next to a railway station it is pretty obvious what is going to happen, ditto a house next to a farm. However most landlubbers are unaware of life on the cut and just how noisy, dirty and inconsiderate some folk can be. If we had moored at the bottom of this guy's garden when he first got the house he wouldn't have noticed us. Even if we had to run our engine a bit, you can hardly hear it from 5yds away.

But I suspect that a succession of noisy smokey boats moored for long periods at the bottom of his garden, has pissed him off and now he is hyper-sensitised to it - that being a normal human reaction.

But anyway, what you or I think is ultimately irellevant, it is what the impartial "powers that be" think and my worry is that if we continue to pretend there is no problem, draconian limits will be placed on us regardless of the actual nuisance we as individuals create.

Edited by nicknorman

There wasnt one due to the No Mooring. I thought Hopwass and Ansty were the other way round but it was before I attended any.

I cheated and scoured the interweb, Normanton was my first so I knew about that one and vaguely remember Stafford ;)

Or the historic boatyard on the south coast that was closed due to complaints from incomers.

This is rather my point. It does no good getting your beer in a froth about it, it happens and is a facet of current attitudes hence my desire to try to reduce the nuisance problem rather than ignoring it and blaming the householders, which can only end in tears.

Remember the signs at Weedon warning people who were looking at the new houses opposite.

Yes this sign always made us smile, especially with the noise of the railway. I wonder if the householder had previously a run in with a boater with a towpath winter mooring without realising the boater had the right to be there for longer than 14 days. Either way it seems a huge over reaction to dig up the towpath I'd rather move .

This is rather my point. It does no good getting your beer in a froth about it, it happens and is a facet of current attitudes hence my desire to try to reduce the nuisance problem rather than ignoring it and blaming the householders, which can only end in tears.

Hi,

Reasonable comment, surprised others can't see the 'big picture' and realise what the inevitable solution will be - especially if the homeowners/inconvenienced parties get together and become combined (generous) fundraisers....... the thin edge of the wedge (with regard to time limits etc) has to start somewhere.

No point in CaRT trying to project a family friendly environment if it ruined by the actions of a few, no matter who those users are.

L

• Sunday 26 July, 11.29pm

Small fire on narrowboat moored on Grand Union Canal, near Broadway Avenue, Giffard Park, Milton Keynes. One appliance and crew from Broughton (call sign FJC 13P1), one from Great Holm (call sign FJC 11P4) and one from Bletchley (call sign FJC 12P1) attended, along with the Water Rescue Unit from Newport Pagnell (call sign FJC 14B5). Firefighters used a dry powder extinguisher and buckets of water.

It's not the first time this has happened in the area

FIRE: Single-deck boat set on fire at Giffard Park, Milton Keynes
8417926-large.jpg

A single-deck boat measuring 8 metres by 2 metres was set on fire at approximately 10.26pm last night (Thursday).

The fire took place at Oversley Court, Giffard Park, Milton Keynes.

One appliance and crew from Broughton was used to aid the fire, and a crew from Great Holm, also attended along with the Water Rescue Unit from Newport Pagnell and an officer.

Overall, 14 firefrighters were at the scene.

Firefighters used a jet and two sets of breathing apparatus.

According to reports, no-one was injured, however the boat was very badly damaged.

An inspection into the cause of the fire will be taken place today (Friday).

What amazes me with all this, is the fact that CRT have a "boater liaison officer" for the area, Mathew symmonds. If these boats are being reported for various reasons, why is he not "liasing" with the owners of said boats to help sort the issues?

This has so much stench with it, it's starting to look like something from allo allo.

Utterly pathetic.

Unfortunately the owner of burnt out boat has made a visit.

His boat is named and showing licence number, suspected Arson

So have the Police been called?

This really needs investigating if the Fire Service think it's arson.

Who is it that suspects arson?

Received another phone call from Hannah Roe CRT this morning

The voulenteer coordinator will be informing all voulenteers that printer orientated licences that are displayed are deemed to be sufficient, are and will be used in the future. The local voulenteer here is very new, and this information will be passed onto him this afternoon.

Re the dug up area, this has been investigated, and a third party we're dealing With reported water leaking 2 years ago

No works has known to be carried out , CRT have planed and arranged to visit homeowner,as to the what steps, and action they will take.

CRT have confirmed there is NO restriction to mooring along this stretch,

Col

Edited re really bad spelling and grammer

Edited by bigcol
  • Greenie 1