Volunteer spreading the love - Gifford Park Mooring - merged topics

bigcol

Featured Posts

Am I alone in thinking its a bad idea to moor outside this guys house? He appears from what has been said to be on the edge. I certainly would not be mooring there, yet alone leave my boat unattended. There are so many other places with happier vibes to tie up. I guess I am getting older as years ago I would have moored there just to aggravate the situation.

Ian.

Am I alone in thinking its a bad idea to moor outside this guys house? He appears from what has been said to be on the edge. I certainly would not be mooring there, yet alone leave my boat unattended. There are so many other places with happier vibes to tie up. I guess I am getting older as years ago I would have moored there just to aggravate the situation.

Ian.

Yes I think this highlights how he has shot himself in the foot. The quiet and non-confrontational types will decide to moor elsewhere, leaving space for the belligerent "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!" types who will want to go out of their way to cause nuisance just to make a point.

• Greenie 1

Yes I think this highlights how he has shot himself in the foot. The quiet and non-confrontational types will decide to moor elsewhere, leaving space for the belligerent "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!" types who will want to go out of their way to cause nuisance just to make a point.

And / or those of us live aboards, whom the home owner has singled out as being the issue, would like the opportunity to prove that we shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush.

As in, we don't all burn our stoves 365 days of the year, play loud music, leave mess on the tow path, or run our engines/genny's 24/7

Should see grass back soon!! Hurrah!

Thought I copy last emails, hopefully okay as boaters will be seeing grass again

Copy of last email to CRT

May I ask, will the vandalized length of towpath, be put Back to rights, allowing boats to moor on this stretch again. As it is at the moment it's freshly turned over soil.

Obviously this will take time, As when it's busy this long stretch can't be used, hopefully the homeowner will refrain from stoping boaters mooring here.

Many thanks for you quick response

Colin

RE: Giffard Park

28 July 2015

Good morning Colin,

I will request for this to be done.

Kind regards,

Hannah

Hannah Roe

Customer Support Co-ordinator

T 01908 302525

Please visit our website to find out more about the Canal & River Trust and download our ‘Shaping our Future document' on the About Us page

South East Waterway, Canal & River Trust, First Floor North, Station House, 500 Elder Gate, Milton Keynes MK9 1BB

Why "I know my rights"? Perhaps standing up for boaters rights maybe. Stopping stealth imposition of mooring restrictions and complete bans maybe.

As John7676 said, the NO Moorings at Ansty have been extended to the M69 bridge this year, it's not on the embankment and doesn't overlook houses... Was anyone asked or consulted, has there ever been an issue with lots of boats mooring there...NO.

• Greenie 3

The guy needs knocking down a peg or two. He is the one causing the trouble. He is the one who is over reacting to a situation he himself got into.

If, and I mean if, the unfortunate boat fire is as a result of this unnecessary ill feeling then the situation is really out of context and control.

By reading this thread, it would appear there are no longer 'long stayers' adjacent to this property, maximum 14 days, and at this time of year no smoke annoyance. He really has got himself into a lather, in addition he is enticing other to do the same.

I would moor there, if I found it a good place to moor. I would chat to this bloke in a civil tongue and explain the situation as it is, if he gets excited and aggressive the police would be invited to get involved.

Martyn

• Greenie 1

Why "I know my rights"? Perhaps standing up for boaters rights maybe. Stopping stealth imposition of mooring restrictions and complete bans maybe.

As John7676 said, the NO Moorings at Ansty have been extended to the M69 bridge this year, it's not on the embankment and doesn't overlook houses... Was anyone asked or consulted, has there ever been an issue with lots of boats mooring there...NO.

Clearly, you know your rights.

Hi Guys,

Ok, so you may have won the battle.......but what about the war.

CaRt as we know is a charity looking for donations - boaters look as their licence payment as a 'donation' which Cart will gleefully take - but really they are getting money from a 'captive' donor - you have got to pay or take your boat (Boys' toy or home) to foreign waters.

They have got your money and if you run into problems for any reason (moorings in this instance) they will consult your group of users but in the end will go their own sweet way to attract and secure donations from others.

Thus, if boaters, by their unreasonable actions upset possible donors, they will not be looked upon favourably - you will be seen as small minded troublemakers - easiest way to deal with them is to restrict moorings, etc - as said, no skin off CaRT's nose - they have got your cash for the year.

Have fun winding this guy and others up now, but medium/long term you will lose out.

L.

Edited by LEO
  • Greenie 1

Hi Guys,

Ok, so you may have won the battle.......but what about the war.

CaRt as we know is a charity looking for donations - boaters look as their licence payment as a 'donation' which Cart will gleefully take - but really they are getting money from a 'captive' donor - you have got to pay or take your boat (Boys' toy or home) to foreign waters.

They have got your money and if you run into problems for any reason (moorings in this instance) they will consult your group of users but in the end will go their own sweet way to attract and secure donations from others.

Thus, if boaters, by their unreasonable actions upset possible donors, they will not be looked upon favourably - you will be seen as small minded troublemakers - easiest way to deal with them is to restrict moorings, etc - as said, no skin off CaRT's nose - they have got your cash for the year.

Have fun winding this guy and others up now, but medium/long term you will lose out.

L.

Seems a better plan to challenge his bahaviour than, encourage him to put concrete blocks into the canal at night.

Regards kris

Seems a better plan to challenge his bahaviour than, encourage him to put concrete blocks into the canal at night.

Regards kris

I'm surprised at you saying rule breakers should always be challenged, given your recent circumstances.

Yes mike whatever you say

By the way mike is the new member of the forum

"The boilerman" your alter ego. Or have you got a challenger to the title of the forums boilerman?

Regards kris

What ARE you talking about?!

I'm surprised at you saying rule breakers should always be challenged, given your recent circumstances.

I,m surprised you are saying this householder should not be challenged , you had plenty to say when you thought kris was breaking a rule , why is a householder who is deliberate in his actions destroying part of the canal towpath different , do they not have a rule about not digging up the towpath.

Edited by gaggle

I,m surprised you are saying this householder should not be challenged , you had plenty to say when you thought kris was breaking a rule , why is a householder who is deliberate in his actions destroying part of the canal towpath different , do they not have a rule about not digging up the towpath.

I'm saying this because the matter is in hand. CRT are sending a bloke to see him according to BigCol. Like with Kriss's overstaying, I'm of the view that CRT should enforce the rules, not some random mob of boaters.

I'm saying this because the matter is in hand. CRT are sending a bloke to see him according to BigCol. Like with Kriss's overstaying, I'm of the view that CRT should enforce the rules, not some random mob of boaters.

Why do you find the need to bring up another forum member on this thread?