Volunteer spreading the love - Gifford Park Mooring - merged topics

bigcol

Featured Posts

No one has the right to intimidate anyone that goes in any walk of life, i would politely time him to go away and if he declined i would tell him to go fourth and multiply in a stern manner, if that does not work call the police and say you are being harrassed and as far as you are aware you are legally moored especially given the fact their are no sign's saying otherwise.

Its hard to keep our cool with some people.

Maybe someone could give it a good raking/chuck some grass seed down and just before they leave put up a sign saying

' All Boaters please water this new Mooring Site'

Wont call him any names, poor chap has issues.

Edited by brassedoff

Just to confirm. The home owner, and the volunteer are 2 DIFERENT PEOPLE

Their both in their 60 70s.

The volunteer had a clip board, and had a spread sheet on clip board, with boat names on.

He also talked and checked all the boats along the line.

Home owners

Wife and I get the impression, listening in to the homeowners gripping with others later yesterday afternoon, that it's residents along here that are talking to CRT head man Neil, to ban boats mooring along the stretch outside their houses.

The dug over stretch backs on to 2 houses.

The home owner was walking up and down yesterday afternoon obviously trying to work home self up for another rant.

The residents may prove to be affective with CRT and His MP

Just this guy seems head poncho.

Wife heard him saying he's lived here 22 years!, Sharon wanted to add, canal has been in over 100years.

I admit, when I moored on his stretch I was being naughty, I knew from last year I would get a response, but surprised the speed he was out having a go,

and yes I retaileated, then his wife joined, in then my wife joined in, you can imagine,

but I did pull our boat up of his stretch. There was space, but if their wasn't!!!

the house next door don't like boaters either, having a upset,went loud, even Jenlyn heard this from his boat last year.

What I'm trying to say, I imagine it's the line of houses, nice houses with balconies, that may have got together.

But it takes a head poncho, to push things along.

Maybe the CRT volunteer is a resident!

I will be phoning CRT tomorrow, who knows CRT may back the residents up.

Backing up with a email once I got a name who I'm speaking to

The pub here and facilities make this a must stop, one of the better family boat,friendly pubs with affordable meals

Col

Edited by bigcol

But again - why buy a house near a canal or a set of moorings if you don't like boats or canals?

The only thing I would agree with him on is people running generators if he was trying to get peace and quiet in his garden. Ditto parked cars and buses who leave their engines running while parked up - there's no need, it's anti-social and polluting, especially running a noisy engine to watch TV.

The rest seems like classic curtain twitching, territoriality gone mad.

Just for info, is it definite that it was him wot dug the towpath up? If as has been said, there's been a leak from the cut into their gardens, it may have been done by CRT as they repaired it, and the grass just not grown again yet. Not that this justifies any of the rest of it, obviously, but it would be good to be certain that it was him that did the vandalism.

I suppose that's true. Logs from tree surgeons for instance

My favourite is house coal that makes that thin column of yellow smoke that doesn't seem to dissipate

Richard

I'd always assumed they were burning raw sulphur......

Just for info, is it definite that it was him wot dug the towpath up? If as has been said, there's been a leak from the cut into their gardens, it may have been done by CRT as they repaired it, and the grass just not grown again yet. Not that this justifies any of the rest of it, obviously, but it would be good to be certain that it was him that did the vandalism.

Definitely, in any dispute it's essential to check the facts before acting. Newspapers often report on failed court cases where the litigant should have known their case was too weak to have a realistic chance of success; even the CPS who should know better sometimes bring cases with little or no merit and end up paying the defendant's costs.

Just thought I should start generator just for a couple of hours as no sun, Miserable day

The only thing I would agree with him on is people running generators if he was trying to get peace and quiet in his garden. Ditto parked cars and buses who leave their engines running while parked up - there's no need, it's anti-social and polluting, especially running a noisy engine to watch TV.

The rest seems like classic curtain twitching, territoriality gone mad.

Hopefully should be okay, Edited by bigcol

I'd always assumed they were burning raw sulphur......

Not quite, but coal often contains sulphur compounds which when burnt produce sulphur dioxide, That's colourless, but yellow smoke sounds sulphur-related to me because sulphur and many of its compounds are yellow.

Not quite, but coal often contains sulphur compounds which when burnt produce sulphur dioxide, That's colourless, but yellow smoke sounds sulphur-related to me because sulphur and many of its compounds are yellow.

Yes I know - but given that the house coal my brother burns doesn't produce that amount of smog I've always taken it to mean that people on boats are burning extremely cheap very high-sulphur coal

Edited by StephenA

(1) digging the towpath; it is as most of us know CRT property. So he's committing trespass, and criminal damage if he undermines a bank costing CRT money to repair it; they should then sue him for the entire cost of the works!

If someone is committing criminal damage you can call 101 and if they're not busy then the Police will come out and have a word with him.

Yes I know - but given that the house coal my brother burns doesn't produce that amount of smog I've always taken it to mean that people on boats are burning extremely cheap very high-sulphur coal

Dirty yellow Chimney smoke looks nicer, more oldy worldy. maybe not green freindly though.

I live on the side of a canal near Marple and i always liked plooms of filth.

Edited by brassedoff

Presumably this is our man?

I live in a house with the towpath 40 feet from my lounge window. My neighbour and I have had the quality of our lives
completely destroyed by the mooring of 'live aboard' boats outside of our house.during the last 3/4years. In 2013, 281 days out of
365 we had boats moored, some double parked. Smoking chimneys (We live in a smoke free zone !!) generators on the towpath,
washing lines, barking dogs, and lots of foul language. many days we cannot use our garden. We have had meetings with the
canal trust manager - Mr Whyatt who has refused to do anything to restrict the mooring. we have requested, for about 100yds,
24/48 hr mooring so that holiday boats are not affected, but stops the 'live aboards'. There are hundreds of yards of mooring that
does not affect anybody in Giffard Park. Surely this is not too much to ask, just 100yds restricted. Please, please help, we pay
£XXXX/ year house tax and the value of our houses has been reduced due to the constant mooring of these boats and their
disregard to the house holders. I have invited Mr Whyatt to visit me to see for himself, but he has never bothered to accept my
invite.

4/30/2014 3:54 PM

Taken from part of CRT "Sharing Towpaths Consultation.

There are not many places in that area that does not have the canal near their houses, and although I can sympathize with some of his alleged points, giving him 100yds would soon have the others looking for the same.

I feel if he has a complaint, he should be firstly mindful of the developers building so close to a canal, and secondly his naivety when buying it.

Good find by the way Alan.

Edited by jenlyn

I'd be a bit unhappy too, if my back garden fence had a load of pikeys setting up camp just on the other side of it, despite knowing that the canal was for boat use. However, if those boats all abided by the terms of their licenses, if they had them, I couldn't complain, nor would I expect CRT to restrict mooring there.

Isn't there a similar patch up the Llangollen, with hundreds of yards of 'no mooring' signage put in place by someone? Unfortunately, neither myself nor my wife are up to a punch-up on the towpath, but sometimes I really wish I was an Aikido expert and floor the bugger without leaving any marks.

Makes me right cross, it does. I'd be 1/4 prepared to go and join in a mass bbq there, abiding by every rule there is, and film the lot!

Where is it, again? blink.png

I'd be a bit unhappy too, if my back garden fence had a load of pikeys setting up camp just on the other side of it, despite knowing that the canal was for boat use. However, if those boats all abided by the terms of their licenses, if they had them, I couldn't complain, nor would I expect CRT to restrict mooring there.

Isn't there a similar patch up the Llangollen, with hundreds of yards of 'no mooring' signage put in place by someone? Unfortunately, neither myself nor my wife are up to a punch-up on the towpath, but sometimes I really wish I was an Aikido expert and floor the bugger without leaving any marks.

Makes me right cross, it does. I'd be 1/4 prepared to go and join in a mass bbq there, abiding by every rule there is, and film the lot!

Where is it, again? blink.png

Tis being arranged wink.png

I got shouted at there by a woman in a house, because she thought the boater behind me who was running his engine at 11.30pm was me. Had they gone upstairs and looked out the window instead of just shouting at the one person they could see from outside this door (because all boaters are clearly gits :P ), they might have had more effect

I put her right and was informed I'm not allowed to moor there anyway and somehow a boat being there causes harassment for the old bloke who lives there and I would be reported to CRT. Needless to say, I had no comeback from CRT.

Actually I feel sorry for CRT - miserable so-and-so's like them just cause them more work and wastes our licence money on unnecessary admin

Edited by BlueStringPudding

I think we probably do need a banter... We could all wear Big Cols Head Ponchos.. ;)

I know a rather large samba band looking for gigs as well. I'm pretty sure there is little the law can do quickly with acoustic music..

Presumably this is our man?

Taken from part of CRT "Sharing Towpaths Consultation.

Hi,

After 5 pages of 'Tosh' this is a fair comment from the 'other side'. really it is sad when the householder has to put up with this situation - it could all be sorted with consultation and perhaps the introduction of restricted moorings - if CaRT can do it at Stoke Bruerne and Soulbury perhaps it cold be introduced here.

This stopping point is popular, with easy access to shops and an pub and so short term moorings may help all.

Consultation may help with the homeowner being made aware that more regular checks made by CaRT means that long term anti-social overstaying is now reduced/overcome.

It's best to remember that boats on canals are way down the list on CaRT's list of canal users - canals are really just linear parks - there is no point in boaters 'cranking' up the nuisance factor (although boaters pay money for the upkeep) - the MAJORITY of visitors can still enjoy canals as a park without boats.

I can see it from both sides - if I were the home owner perhaps a few large concrete blocks sunk at the dead of night would prevent easy mooring at that point and from what I have read on this posting, we boaters seem to have stopped short in making a clay doll of the homeowner and sticking pins in it as a solution.

ATB

L

• Greenie 1

Hi,

After 5 pages of 'Tosh' this is a fair comment from the 'other side'. really it is sad when the householder has to put up with this situation - it could all be sorted with consultation and perhaps the introduction of restricted moorings - if CaRT can do it at Stoke Bruerne and Soulbury perhaps it cold be introduced here.

This stopping point is popular, with easy access to shops and an pub and so short term moorings may help all.

Consultation may help with the homeowner being made aware that more regular checks made by CaRT means that long term anti-social overstaying is now reduced/overcome.

It's best to remember that boats on canals are way down the list on CaRT's list of canal users - canals are really just linear parks - there is no point in boaters 'cranking' up the nuisance factor (although boaters pay money for the upkeep) - the MAJORITY of visitors can still enjoy canals as a park without boats.

I can see it from both sides - if I were the home owner perhaps a few large concrete blocks sunk at the dead of night would prevent easy mooring at that point and from what I have read on this posting, we boaters seem to have stopped short in making a clay doll of the homeowner and sticking pins in it as a solution.

ATB

L

Yes I agree. Unfortunately some boaters do create a huge noise and smoke nuisance. I am not anti liveaboard or anti CCer per se, but it is a fact that leisure boaters / hire boaters on holiday tend to boat every day and so have no need to run their engines when stationary, and also tend to boat less in the winter and/or rely on gas or diesel heating thus less likely to create smoke nuisance (these are generalisations of course). Whereas liveaboards / CCers tend to be more static and stay in one place for several days or weeks (no more than 2, of course!) and thus need to run their engines for several hours every day, certainly in winter. They are also likely to have solid fuel stoves that can be very smokey.

Unfortunately some have Heath Robinson generators and engines which are ridiculously, harshly and unnecessarily noisy.

So I agree that making that section of mooring 24 or 48hrs is likely to significantly reduce the conflict between boaters and householders.

Edited by nicknorman

Yes I agree. Unfortunately some boaters do create a huge noise and smoke nuisance. I am not anti liveaboard or anti CCer per se, but it is a fact that leisure boaters / hire boaters on holiday tend to boat every day and so have no need to run their engines when stationary, and also tend to boat less in the winter and/or rely on gas or diesel heating thus less likely to create smoke nuisance (these are generalisations of course). Whereas liveaboards / CCers tend to be more static and stay in one place for several days or weeks (no more than 2, of course!) and thus need to run their engines for several hours every day, certainly in winter. They are also likely to have solid fuel stoves that can be very smokey.

Unfortunately some have Heath Robinson generators and engines which are ridiculously, harshly and unnecessarily noisy.

So I agree that making that section of mooring 24 or 48hrs is likely to significantly reduce the conflict between boaters and householders.

Yup blame the cc'ers and liveaboards. Now a boat that hire boater that arrived at 7pm last night moored in front of me turned his engine on at 8.30pm was still running at 10:30 pm last night when I went and asked him if he could turn it off. The reply I got was "we have 2 small children on board and they are cold so we need to run the engine to work the heating" The engine was running again at 6am today. Now me as a CCer have been moored here for 8 days and not run my engine once and nor has Stan. Those bloody cc'ers not running there engines how dare they

• Greenie 1

Hi,

ATB

L

Yes, let's encourage people to throw blocks in the canal shall we? How stupid.

In jumps the opportunist...