Volunteer spreading the love - Gifford Park Mooring - merged topics

bigcol

Featured Posts

In which case :

"Please don’t use electricity generators, including the boat's engine between 8pm and 8am unless you are moored completely out of earshot of other people."

is just a request, as both "please don't" and "avoid" are equally wishy washy, and the use of "please" makes it merely polite request.

Whichever way, they're either both rules or both just requests.

Interesting. I thought the no generators 8am to 8pm thing was a condtion of the license agreement, but I can't see it there having checked. The nearest I can see is:

7.5. You must not do (or carelessly fail to do) anything which will cause damage or nuisance to us or any

person or their property. You accept responsibility for any such damage or nuisance caused by you,

other occupants of the Boat or your visitors. You will not be responsible for events that are outside your

control.

Which pretty much nails it just the same. We are no allowed to cause a nuisance to any other person or their propoetry.

It is still actually clearly stated in the licence terms and conditions in Schedule 5

4. Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must behave considerately towards others (boaters and

non-boaters alike) and in particular you must not:

(a) do anything which will cause damage or nuisance to any other person or their property;

(B ) use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway

between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people. We

do not intend this Rule to stop you moving the Boat from the mooring;

My red.

From here.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5962.pdf

Edited by MJG

That stretch of canal is popular. The pub has a good reputation for prices and the staff making you welcome.

The particular mooring spot being discussed is more often than not, empty, but when it's busy, it's obviously used. Its not really a ccer hotspot, it's mainly a summer use mooring.

Perhaps it needs to be used more, simply to make a point to some of the residents that a canal has boats in it.

The guy does own the property. When he approached me for mooring there, he stated that the estate agent had not told him about the boats when he first looked at the house.

He really has a bee in his bonnet, and even threatened to "get his son round".

I didn't get into any sort of real conversation with him (we were only stopping for lunch). He just followed me up and down the towpath whilst I was sorting the ropes. In the main, I just ignored him. He made a play of taking the name and number of the boat, and I left him to it, and went for lunch.

If hes dug it over, why not guerilla garden it. Everyone bring some bedding plants. Or just show up wearing hi viz, say you're CRT contractors and lay turf. What can he do?

yup, plant some mint, lots in fact!

That stretch of canal is popular. The pub has a good reputation for prices and the staff making you welcome.

The particular mooring spot being discussed is more often than not, empty, but when it's busy, it's obviously used. Its not really a ccer hotspot, it's mainly a summer use mooring.

Perhaps it needs to be used more, simply to make a point to some of the residents that a canal has boats in it.

The guy does own the property. When he approached me for mooring there, he stated that the estate agent had not told him about the boats when he first looked at the house.

I didn't get into any sort of real conversation with him (we were only stopping for lunch). He just followed me up and down the towpath whilst I was sorting the ropes. In the main, I just ignored him. He made a play of taking the name and number of the boat, and I left him to it, and went for lunch.

The thing is that some boaters would find that type of behaviour quite intimidating and would feel pressured to move on. Has anybody spoken to CRT about him? Given they shouldn't be allowing one of their volunteers to harass boaters in this manner., they should at the very least be speaking to him and if he continues removing him as a volunteer.

The thing is that some boaters would find that type of behaviour quite intimidating and would feel pressured to move on. Has anybody spoken to CRT about him? Given they shouldn't be allowing one of their volunteers to harass boaters in this manner., they should at the very least be speaking to him and if he continues removing him as a volunteer.

He's not the volunteer.

As for intimidating, he was quite aggressive. I suspect it's only due to the fact that he is getting on a bit, that someone's not twatted him yet.

I could give a flippant answer about this being an obvious venue for a CWDF banter, but this kind of behaviour is actually quite a serious issue in my view.

I also very much doubt that this chap is any kind of genuine CRT volunteer - just somebody deciding to try and force his own mark on the situation.

I assume this relates to the area that CRT intend to make,(or may possibly already have made) a voluntary "quiet zone"?. If so, the way this was presented was that there had been quite a number of complaints from different residents in that area about moored boats, and it certainly was not stated that one particular person had their own agenda to try and stop mooring completely.

As this is an area CRT are showing particular interest in, I think it definitely needs raising with them. Matthew Symonds has been directly involved, so you could try him as a starting point.

I could give a flippant answer about this being an obvious venue for a CWDF banter, but this kind of behaviour is actually quite a serious issue in my view.

I also very much doubt that this chap is any kind of genuine CRT volunteer - just somebody deciding to try and force his own mark on the situation.

I assume this relates to the area that CRT intend to make,(or may possibly already have made) a voluntary "quiet zone"?. If so, the way this was presented was that there had been quite a number of complaints from different residents in that area about moored boats, and it certainly was not stated that one particular person had their own agenda to try and stop mooring completely.

As this is an area CRT are showing particular interest in, I think it definitely needs raising with them. Matthew Symonds has been directly involved, so you could try him as a starting point.

To be frank and honest, I think personally that Mathew symmonds is quite a large part of the problem. In the past, what he has said, and what he meant has given problems. I thought we had seen the last of geff whyatt's policies, but seemingly not.

he might own his property behind the hedge but doesnt own the land on the towpath side? or does he?

i doubt he has mooring rights, - to dig the ground is criminal dammage i would of thought and will weaken the Canal side?

The loose ground either needs firming up or some hardcore putting on it to stop him if he has no rights.

He bought a house next to the canal and the estate agent didn't tell him about boats..? It sounds like he's not playing with a full deck. The problem with such people is they have a cause and will dedicate every waking moment to it.

Best thing to do is thank him for his interest and get about your own business. If he persists film him being obstructive and tell him if he doesn't go away you'll report him to the relevant authorities. Or wear some headphones and feign deafness. Just don't engage, that way lies madness.

So there are two problems here:

1) The man from the house digging up the towpath and basically being an unpleasant moron

2) The CRT "Volunteer" claiming that the boat wasn't licensed properly (although given that CRT are having problems providing me with a list of currently licensed boats for the Boat Register I find it highly unlikely that anyone knows)

So there are two problems here:

1) The man from the house digging up the towpath and basically being an unpleasant moron

2) The CRT "Volunteer" claiming that the boat wasn't licensed properly (although given that CRT are having problems providing me with a list of currently licensed boats for the Boat Register I find it highly unlikely that anyone knows)

Well, considering a licence is now sent via email, to be printed off on a bubble jet, it is hardly designed to last in humid conditions. You could draw it in crayon and it would be valid, with the right information on and current. The volunteer would need some equipment to determine what is a forgery. What can you do if, after a few weeks, your perfect printout has turned into a runny mess that can't even be read.

He bought a house next to the canal and the estate agent didn't tell him about boats..? It sounds like he's not playing with a full deck. The problem with such people is they have a cause and will dedicate every waking moment to it.

Best thing to do is thank him for his interest and get about your own business. If he persists film him being obstructive and tell him if he doesn't go away you'll report him to the relevant authorities. Or wear some headphones and feign deafness. Just don't engage, that way lies madness.

I would have thought if he wanted to point the finger at anybody (other than himself for not applying common sense) it surely would be his solicitor. Anybody with experience of conveying property in that area would surely either know about the location or would not a search pick up it was adjacent to a navigable waterway? Either way he is clutching at straws for someone to blame for his own 'mistake' in not doing his own proper research.

I find myself wondering if the CRT volunteer mentioned is actually the son given his unprofessional behaviour, and unsupported allegation that the OP's licence was forged.

I wonder if he has enrolled an a volly to help his dad deal with the unwelcome boaters.

Maybe the chap with the house should be asked for the paper that gave him planning permission. The fella obviously has a plan he's working to, carrying out on someone else's private property. If his hedge belongs to him, he might enjoy some reciprocal work doing on it. A bit of topiary in the shape of a narrowboat, perhaps, with lots of stuff on its roof. Tell him you use the same planning office, and it's ok. He'll understand. But, just in case he doesn't - get ready to leg it.

Edited by Higgs

There was (still might be) someone who lived in Waterside Drive in Market Drayton who basically had a serious problem with the boats on Tom's Moorings - if you parked your car on the road and he thought you were off a boat you'd come back to find notes on your car including one he'd sent to BW about the wood smoke and engine noise from the boats. He wanted it that no one could light their wood stoves etc. BW had simply ignored him and the advice from the mooring caretaker was to ignore him...

But again - why buy a house near a canal or a set of moorings if you don't like boats or canals?

There was (still might be) someone who lived in Waterside Drive in Market Drayton who basically had a serious problem with the boats on Tom's Moorings - if you parked your car on the road and he thought you were off a boat you'd come back to find notes on your car including one he'd sent to BW about the wood smoke and engine noise from the boats. He wanted it that no one could light their wood stoves etc. BW had simply ignored him and the advice from the mooring caretaker was to ignore him...

But again - why buy a house near a canal or a set of moorings if you don't like boats or canals?

I don't know what some people burn on their stoves, it has to be industrial waste, for sure.

Maybe he liked the house!

In addition, the general public think canals are a haven of peace and tranquility, not the wet equivalent of the M4 that the southern GU is.

I bet he had no idea how many boats used canal or that any of them would actually moor up at the bottom of his garden. A bit of a shock when he moved in, I suspect.

I don't know what some people burn on their stoves, it has to be industrial waste, for sure.

I suppose that's true. Logs from tree surgeons for instance

My favourite is house coal that makes that thin column of yellow smoke that doesn't seem to dissipate

Richard

I agree with Alan Fincher that "this kind of behaviour is actually quite a serious issue" because boaters and CRT must not allow a precedent to be set. It's the thin end of a big wedge if the occupier of a property behind the towpath can get away with:

(1) digging the towpath; it is as most of us know CRT property. So he's committing trespass, and criminal damage if he undermines a bank costing CRT money to repair it; they should then sue him for the entire cost of the works!

(2) Attempting to deny boaters their right to use a visitor mooring (subject to the CRT time limit, the rule on generators etc.). Some of what's been reported, such as threatening to send his son with the implication that carries of possible violence, is a matter for the police. The mechanism for dealing with such a threat is the Public Order Act 1986 section 4, which will land him in a whole heap of trouble if you have strong evidence such as an independent witness or a clear video.

I would encourage each person who's had an encounter with this man to write to CRT describing the incident, with a copy to the police if he has committed a criminal offence; if enough people do so, CRT could apply for an injunction against him to cease his behaviour, or the police could seek an ASBO. Even if each incident is just one person's word against his, I suppose that an accumulation of several such incidents with the boaters concerned prepared to turn up at court might be sufficient.

I like the guerrilla gardening idea, but would recommend only using plants which are suitable for moorers, not nice bedding plants which people might not want to tread on. Ideally I'm talking grass here, although some other ground cover plants would do. Just tread the topsoil flat a bit, you don't want it too loose, then either lay turf if you have some, or spread a mix of sand and grass seed and tread that in, then water gently. August is a good time of year to sow grass seed...

• Greenie 2

As a former Giffard Park resident, I feel a return to our old estate with the pair, and go full reverend on him. I can't be doing with NIMBY attitudes and certainly not when they have such aggressive attitudes to people who have the right to be there.

• Greenie 1