Fings wot have been lobbed at me

MPR

Featured Posts

Over the years I have experienced several incidences of having stones/conkers/acorns/fresh water mussels lobbed at me or else items dropped from a bridge.

Of the more (hopefully) unusual

Phlegm from Staines Bridge

A plastic duck from a tower block on the Farmers Bridge flight

A pair of underpants filled with mud (yes I did check) from the bridge at Marston Junction.

Anyone else got anything exotic to report?

I find the best deterent is to have a camera visibly directed at the yobos about to engage in such - good as you approach, but not so useful if they are on the side of the bridge where you exit.

A padlock which had been cut off of the hasp and staple. It just missed my head and bounced up the cabin roof taking paint off on the way. It was thrown from a bridge just before Kings Norton Tunnel on the Alvechurch side.

A baloon filled with water i think got dropped down the side hatch and ended up on the floor in the kitchen

4 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I find the best deterent is to have a camera visibly directed at the yobos about to engage in such - good as you approach, but not so useful if they are on the side of the bridge where you exit.

indeed... when i see what i think might be unsavoury people that could do something i get my phone out and make it look like im recording them......

Eggs at Castleford.

Abusing canal boaters is nothing new.

When chatting to Mike H in the past he told me of:

Being called water gypsies and other names.

Stones were thrown at them.

Spat upon.

Fireworks thrown at them during Novembers.

"Don't want dirty boaters in my shop, get out."

Men piddling on them from bridges.

A man "mooned" at Mike's mum at Norton Junction so his dad got his air rifle out and shot his ar$e.

Edited by Ray T
  • Haha 1

Years ago at Bridge 100 on the Shroppie after leaving Ye Olde Barbridge Inn, approx half a loaf of sliced bread that was so mouldy it emitted a cloud of dust when it hit the roof, hatch and foot of the stairs on the shareboat. Bloke got quite angry when we shouted at him, said he was trying to feed the ducks. Who feeds ducks mouldy bread??

Mooned by some kids at Hinckley on the Ashby on that big bend by some flats.

Acorns dropped by squirrels on the L&L, happened a couple of times so i reckon the fuzzy little beggars were doing it on purpose :D 

Had stones thrown at madam steering down the Wolverhampton flight. They didn’t realize I was the other side of the bridge setting the locks and I managed to get a couple of blows in before they ran off. On the Mac had some orange pop (at least I think it was) expertly poured down my neck from a high bridge. 

I was shot at when cruising down the Selby Canal by this yobbo. I saw him walkin up the towpath with an uncovered rifle over his shoulder. It was one of the rare sunny and warm days in Yorkshire so there were lots of parents and children on the towpath. I took a picture of him and he promptly fired his rifle at me. Luckily it missed and pinged off the side of the boat. It was back in BW days and there were actual waterways police back then so I reported the incident with the picture but as far as I am aware nothing was done. I also had rocks thrown at the boat from one of the bridges on the Selby Canal one of which narrowly missed my grandaughter. They ran when they saw my camera so I didn't manage to get any pictures of those scroats.

The idiot that tried to shoot me.2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

I managed to get a couple of blows in before they ran off.

I did similarly, but then felt slightly guilty as the one I caught was the youngest and slowest and probably not one of those that threw stones.  🤭

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Acorns dropped by squirrels on the L&L, happened a couple of times so i reckon the fuzzy little beggars were doing it on purpose :D 

Are you sure is was the Cyrils ?

Our mooring is under some Oak trees, and when they are 'ripe' the tree 'projectile vomits' its acorns with a sould like a muffled shotgun. They don't half hurt if they hit you in full flight.

Apparently its natures way of ensuring the new oak tress will far enough away from the mother tree to give them a good chance of survival.

48 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Been a long time since I've had anything slung at me. Last thing was a barley sugar in Chester. I thanked the lad nicely and ate it.

I had sweets thrown at me as I went onto the Barton swing aqueduct 

Coming up the Rochdale through Newton Heath year before last we had eggs thrown. Somebody said the locals have gone soft, they used to throw bricks.

Going towards Wallsall we got stuck on shopping trolleys under the bridge to the supermarket. Locals on the bridge started to tear up bread and throw the bits at us, a bit like feeding the ducks I suppose.

At Gas street the chef in the hotel wrapped all the breakfast leftovers in tinfoil and threw them at us, some went in the cut but we caught most of it.

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure is was the Cyrils ?

Our mooring is under some Oak trees, and when they are 'ripe' the tree 'projectile vomits' its acorns with a sould like a muffled shotgun. They don't half hurt if they hit you in full flight.

Apparently its natures way of ensuring the new oak tress will far enough away from the mother tree to give them a good chance of survival.

Yes, as i could see Tufty and his mates in the branches above me.

Bingley squirrels are obviously not as sophisticated as the ones in Huddersfield. Our frequent visitors at home, Squizzy Rascal and Nicholas Twitchell, come and tap on the living room window when they want some food ;) 

• Greenie 1

In the 80s I was shot in the back on the Paddington arm. Sounded like an air rifle, probably a .22 from the size of the hole in my leather jacket.

I think the distance was quite close as it knocked me forward and left my grabbing the hatches.

3 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I have a good photo of the offending bridge on the Staffs and Worcs with the offender giving me a v sign. perhaps my camera was not macho enough

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Coming up the Rochdale through Newton Heath year before last we had eggs thrown. Somebody said the locals have gone soft, they used to throw bricks.

Going towards Wallsall we got stuck on shopping trolleys under the bridge to the supermarket. Locals on the bridge started to tear up bread and throw the bits at us, a bit like feeding the ducks I suppose.

At Gas street the chef in the hotel wrapped all the breakfast leftovers in tinfoil and threw them at us, some went in the cut but we caught most of it.

Hope you told them not to feed the boat as it would get too fat to pass through narrow locks...

Many years ago I had a young lad who was fishing on the Leigh Branch fire maggots at my boat. I handed the tiller to Mrs Hound and leapt onto the bank with a windlass in my hand. The lad took off leaving his fishing gear behind. It was a pity that his rod fell into the cut when I accidentally tripped over it... :)

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Hope you told them not to feed the boat as it would get too fat to pass through narrow locks...

Aaaaaaaah so that's how wide beams are born - now it all makes sense! 😄

• Haha 2

In 1994 on the Caldon Canal in Milton two kids threw stones at us. Then 20 years later when approaching the same spot, as I was reminding my wife of this, two young scroates appeared and began hurriedly assembling stones.

This time I had a phone camera and when I pointed it towards them they dropped the stones and watched us pass by. I reckon they were probably the sons of the kids who’d done it in 1994. Coincidentally on both occasions it was the same date August 14th

10 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Wasn’t there forum participant not so long ago who had an elsan emptied on him from a bridge? I can’t remember the details but it sounded horrendous.

I’ve had beer tipped over me going into Liverpool

The alleged incident happened in Stone. Not sure what actually happened. The poster got annoyed when people questioned the post. Think he left shortly after

14 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Yes, as i could see Tufty and his mates in the branches above me.

Bingley squirrels are obviously not as sophisticated as the ones in Huddersfield. Our frequent visitors at home, Squizzy Rascal and Nicholas Twitchell, come and tap on the living room window when they want some food ;) 

They definitely do throw stuff, many a time I've been up a tree and had the buggers throwing acorns at me, fair enough tbh