Bad Language. A Reminder.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, MtB said:

My God, have you been living under a stone?!

Thunderboat is the forum set up by all the bannees from here, after The Great Banning of 2017 

Google it, as posting a link is banned in the forum rules IIRC.

Well, there's been a link in my profile for absolutely yonks. 

Jim awaits knock on door from Mod. 

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

Its actually quite an alright forum but a bit cliquey. The original continuous swearing thing isn't there any more.

I quite enjoyed my short, but sweet visit over there,but wasn't brave enough to stay. Quite funny though.

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

It's considered to be swearing in some parts of the country apparently. It's a four letter word, though not Anglo Saxon. 

I believe @Athy has led a very sheltered ! life.

Possibly Norse, thwaite 

When I was double rather than single I took the woman to visit my Aunt who lives near Holt.

She found the area quite pleasant so I asked if perhaps we should move there.

Norfolk enchants was her answer.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

When I was double rather than single I took the woman to visit my Aunt who lives near Holt.

She found the area quite pleasant so I asked if perhaps we should move there.

Norfolk enchants was her answer.

You should have tried

E sex instead. 

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I went past that sign last week. It's in Shetland.

Just off the B9071.

Orkney...

When we got the late ferry to Kirkwall from Aberdeen, I always ended up driving the minibus (12 SCUBA divers plus kit) the last few miles from Kirkwall to Stromness - that sign (just after Finstown) was the signal to ring the skipper and get him to get the kettle on! (Given it was over eight miles off the main drag - we always wondered if they kept the sign just for tourists...)

23 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I went past that sign last week. It's in Shetland.

Just off the B9071.

Maybe there are two ?

It is a Norse term so could easily have been applied to both 'islands'

It apparently is Norse for 'small parcel of land'

According to my maps, Google, and a shop I do business with (he makes diving gear & a lot of Twatt souvenirs) there is a Twatt on Orkney. 

Twatt | Welcome to our Shop (orkneysportinggoods.com)

The RNAS (Royal Navy Air Station) Twatt was based there and they also seem to think it is in Orkney.

RNAS Twatt (HMS Tern) is a former Royal Navy Air Station located near Twatt, Orkney, Scotland.

Twatt was mainly used as a training airfield. On 30 March 1944 initial plans were to make Twatt the only airfield suitable to aid the disembarkation of squadrons of the Home Fleet

Screenshot (2239).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Orkney...

When we got the late ferry to Kirkwall from Aberdeen, I always ended up driving the minibus (12 SCUBA divers plus kit) the last few miles from Kirkwall to Stromness - that sign (just after Finstown) was the signal to ring the skipper and get him to get the kettle on! (Given it was over eight miles off the main drag - we always wondered if they kept the sign just for tourists...)

I didn't know there was one in Orkney too!

Bloody Soothmoothers ...

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2023 at 16:41, frangar said:

And there are some posters that throughly deserve it!

I totally agree that there is never, ever a reason for using industrial language. If someone cannot be civil and make their comments without recourse to words that you would never use in front of your mother , why should you feel it’s necessary or ok to use on public/ group forums. 
I am old school and I hate such talk and in my opinion just demonstrates a lack of respect when they use such offensive language 

• Greenie 1