Bad Language. A Reminder.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

I didn't now that the word 'invalid' was highly offensive.

Coffin dodger: Mild language, generally of little concern. Seen as humorous, including by older participants. Some
said that more aggression or specific intent to hurt would heighten impact, but not common enough
for this to be based on experience.

I find "Cretin" offensive. I'm sure it is but

Cretin: Mild language, generally of little concern. Mostly acceptable if used to refer to stupidity in a light-
hearted or humorous way. Some worry the term is derogatory about those with learning disabilities.

23 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Speaking in a personal capacity, with my moderator hat back in its box.

It is a matter of where swearing is appropriate and where it is not. Most people, excepting those with rare neurological conditions, can reign in the bad language in situations where it is inappropriate and are able to judge what those situations are. As far as I know, keyboard, or screen tapping Tourette's is not a recognised medical condition. The rules and guidelines make clear that CWDF is not an appropriate place for bad language. Whatever language people use elsewhere, this is not the place for it. It isn't big and it isn't clever.

My own list of where *!^%# words are appropriate and where they are not.

Appropriate

Hitting my thumb with a hammer.

Listening to a government minister being interviewed.

Alone at a bus stop, in the drizzle, watching the last bus of the day disappear in to the distance without stopping.

Inappropriate

A garden party at Buck House.

Reading children's stories to an appreciative youthful audience.

CWDF.

Not arguing with your classifications of where offensive swearing is and isn't acceptable, but different people (and in different societies and times) have very different ideas about what constitutes an offensive swear word.

For example "sh*t" is commonly used in phrases like "sh*t happens" and "he couldn't get his sh*t together" and "you're sh*tting me!" -- and it was deemed acceptable both by Shakespeare and in traditional love songs...

https://mainlynorfolk.info/lloyd/songs/iwishmylove.html

"I wish my love was a ripe turd
And smoking down in yon dykeside
And I myself was a shitten flea
I’d suck her up before she dried"

Edited by IanD

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

Problem is with that word, it is almost a term of affection on the thunderboat forum, and I think our forum has that word on some kind of alarm!! 

What forum is that? never heard of it, is it to do with weather?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What forum is that? never heard of it, is it to do with weather?

My God, have you been living under a stone?!

Thunderboat is the forum set up by all the bannees from here, after The Great Banning of 2017 

Google it, as posting a link is banned in the forum rules IIRC.

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

My God, have you been living under a stone?!

Thunderboat is the forum set up by all the bannees from here, after The Great Banning of 2017 

Google it, as posting a link is banned in the forum rules IIRC.

Ahhhhhh I think I remember it now? I looked in a few years ago ONCE and found that you had to swear in every thread so gave it a miss. It had about four posts a day iirc.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

hhhhhh I think I remember it now? I looked in a few years ago ONCE and found that you had to swear in every thread

Yep that's the one!! 

It is mostly moribund nowadays apart from a really long term running battle between Kris88 and Tony Dunkley trading insults. 

Some of them are quite amusing. But not many.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Yep that's the one!! 

It is mostly moribund nowadays apart from a really long term running battle between Kris88 and Tony Dunkley trading insults. 

Some of them are quite amusing. But not many.

Tony Dunkley has been removed from Thunderboat.

Its actually quite an alright forum but a bit cliquey. The original continuous swearing thing isn't there any more.

We did get some quite good offensive terms without rude words from TD such as "Gutless invertebrates" and "Worthless inconsequential nobodies" for which one is thankful.

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Tony Dunkley has been removed from Thunderboat.

Really?

Getting banned from there really takes some effort, that's quite an achievement.

Is JohnV's little cliquey forum still running?, can't recall the name just now.

14 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Really?

Getting banned from there really takes some effort, that's quite an achievement.

Is JohnV's little cliquey forum still running?, can't recall the name just now.

I'm not sure if the JohnV forum is still running.

We don't know for sure if TD has been put on read only or not but he isn't posting. At one stage most of the content was him (TD) repeatedly posting libellous content about a CRT lawyer. I think its likely that she had a word about him and has shut him up. On ProBoards there is an option to put people on read only rather than banning.

Other theories exist. It is a lot better without his endless claptrap. There really was a lot he got the idea that he could drive things up search engine rankings by doing it. Very tedious.

A small Austrian town changed its name to Fugging after replacing stolen road signs. Personally, I think they could have done a good trade selling replicas to tourists.

Trek.Opener.Fucking.jpg.bced766500e4630ce5bf71d0a4f5855c.jpg

The name change came too late for the release of the spoof movie, Bad Fucking, (bad means bath in German), which became popular in certain circles. I think you can still get Bad Fucking on DVD.

40519068z.jpg.913b3bcea9da694c2028c72ee21d242e.jpg