Bad Language. A Reminder.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

One of my aims in life is to offend the least number of people as I  go around.  If not using foul or suspect language is one way, so be it.

One generally finds that the folk who use bad language have a poor education and suffer from an inadequate vocabulary as a result.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Jerra said:

MY problem is what is considered bad language.  For example, in a recent discussion on toilets, we were told not to use the four letter word for feaces.  I have heard the four letter version used in public and on TV but it would appear it is unacceptable on here.

Equally using the first two letters then 1 and then the last letter has, for the 12 years or so I have been a member, been accepted.   If it is why object to the usual word they both look the same.

There are times when moderation has driven me away for two or three months, if things get any sillier I will have to give myself another break.

I generally dont have an issue with moderation on here, what annoys me the most is the hypocrisy that some members display, particularly those that complain about other members posts and style and then in the very next moment indulge in the very same behaviour they complain about.

47 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Well that should effectively kill the activity in the politics section which is currently pretty well 99% personal attacks and very little actual debate.

Unless of course the politics section is going to continue its apparent excemption from moderation.

I never go there 

52 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Well that should effectively kill the activity in the politics section which is currently pretty well 99% personal attacks and very little actual debate.

Unless of course the politics section is going to continue its apparent excemption from moderation.

Are you trying to polish your halo….think my point is proved 

• Greenie 1

I've just looked at the OFCOM guide and there are words in there I have never heard of - and I spent 20 years at the rough end of the oil business! I may well have been severely insulted in the past and didn't know it. I might try a few out on the grandkids (great-grandkids are a bit young yet)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I've just looked at the OFCOM guide and there are words in there I have never heard of - and I spent 20 years at the rough end of the oil business! I may well have been severely insulted in the past and didn't know it. I might try a few out on the grandkids (great-grandkids are a bit young yet)

It's worth a read for its educational value alone. @Mike Tee and I have clearly lead more sheltered lives than we'd assumed. 😀

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

moderating is hard, one needs to use judgement while being impartial. You dont want to be too harsh, else you will drive away traffic to rival forums. But you also dont want it to be free for all. Also its an unpaid job.

which is why I hardly ever get upset about moderators, they are doing their best, am sure. 

I am well aware of how hard a job it is and that it isn't paid it is done for the benefit of the forum.

However, there are times when it gets just too silly/oppressive.   A while ago threads were being closed with monotonous regularity for comparatively innocuous reasons.  Reasons which both before and after had passed unremarked.  Now we have the arnings about excrement which for the vast majority of the time I have been on the forum has been perfectly acceptable and is so in everyday life.

28 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I generally dont have an issue with moderation on here, what annoys me the most is the hypocrisy that some members display, particularly those that complain about other members posts and style and then in the very next moment indulge in the very same behaviour they complain about.

Very true coupled with the "you have been told by a moderator" while doing themselves.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I got told off recently for using the word tw@t in a post when referring to a TV presenter. Apparently there had been complaints. I can't help thinking that anyone who finds that particular word offensive in this day and age when it's not directed at them must have led a very sheltered life.

A few years ago I drove my well spoken Welsh mother in law (in her nineties) to a nice rural pub in the hills for lunch. Talking loudly in the quiet bar, she used the term you mention to describe the Marquess of Bath. No offense was caused, but some of the other patrons taking a sip at the time looked as though they were struggling not to spray it out.

It turned out that she had heard people say it and assumed it was the modern way of saying twit, so repeated it in an attempt to be fashionable.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

30 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I got told off recently for using the word tw@t in a post when referring to a TV presenter

It is a slang term for a woman's sexual organ and used in the same context as the C word

Yeah, I don't advocate using these words, they're not very nice imo but in Scotland people use the c word far and wide with ease.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

You are supposed to read it as "S H one T"

Which of course takes us right into the realm for obvious swear words modified to avoid the censors. Sh1t or Sh!t is a good example.

Then we move onto fark, fack, fcuk, fuuk and no doubt you can see how to apply the same principle to other swear words.

Hope that helps...

6 minutes ago, wandering said:

Yeah, I don't advocate using these words, they're not very nice imo but in Scotland people use the c word far and wide with ease.

Interested, with your possessions all in the river, unfortunately, how are you coping with posting on the forum?

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, alias said:

A few years ago I drove my well spoken Welsh mother in law (in her nineties) to a nice rural pub in the hills for lunch. Talking loudly in the quiet bar, she used the term you mention to describe the Marquess of Bath. No offense was caused, but some of the other patrons taking a sip at the time looked as though they were struggling not to spray it out.

It turned out that she had heard people say it and assumed it was the modern way of saying twit, so repeated it in an attempt to be fashionable.

My wife, when being 'modern' with the kids, has occasionally said the letters 'WFT' to express surprise - the look of bemusement on their faces is magical - you can see them saying it in their minds trying to work it out!

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

I find that the grandkids are better spoken than we ever were, even after a few beers they seem better even if they dont know we are watching. Non of them have even one beer and drive either, unlike my age group. I am with you on the great grand sprogs though, they are a bit young yet lol.