Extreme flue pipe

David Mack

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I'd like to see a photo of the outside, the cabin sides look all out of proportion to the hull sides.

Yes. It's a very boxy boat. There's more pictures in the eBay ad. But probably worth it for a liveaboard boat on a permanent mooring, that never goes anywhere.

Have a read of the eBay listing. Boat has no engine and has been on the same mooring for 20 years so goodness knows what state the hull is in. Basically a floating London flat. Interesting option for deposits that I've not seen before - 

"10% deposit will hold the boat for 14 days, 20% deposit will hold the boat for 30 days, 30% deposit will hold the boat for 60 days".
Doesn't say whether the deposit is refundable (see discussion in recent 'buyer beware' thread).

"The mooring cost is £449 a month, this is untransferable.  There is some other small costs such as gas, electricity and ruver license, but its all relatively cheap.  You can obviously move the boat to a mooring of your choice, but its cheap living in London and the boat has been moored here for 20 years.  The mooring is in no way part of the deal, the price is solely for the boat only.  The moorings are rented and cannot be purchased.  You are not obliged to take the mooring.  Just giving an option as it works well here." 

• Greenie 1

The boat is out of proportion because they have had to increase the height of the cabin roof, cutting it off the sides and letting in an extra 12" of cabin side so that there is still enough headroom below the flue in the galley.

It's hard to tell; it's not obvious from the photos that the surface behind the stove is adequate. Also, pipes aren't as hot as the stove itself but the horizontal section running parallel and close to the roof surely isn't a good idea. 

10 hours ago, Ianws said:

but the horizontal section running parallel and close to the roof surely isn't a good idea. 

A horizontal run is not allowed and, recommended no more than 2x 30 degree bends for any 'angled joints'

But to quote @MtB "who checks and who cares anyway"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Inadvisable certainly, but "not allowed" by whom?

Probably the ISOs if building to RCD/RCR, but even that is doubtful as the BS/ISO we know about in relation to stoves is only best practice.

The building regs may well have something in them, but I doubt they apply to boats

Edited by Tony Brooks

41 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Probably the ISOs if building to RCD/RCR, but even that is doubtful as the BS/ISO we know about in relation to stoves is only best practice.

The building regs may well have something in them, but I doubt they apply to boats

Stove makers instructions will not allow such a flue.

59 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I suppose that the longer length of flue pipe could  mean that more heat gets extracted from the flue gases. 

That flue pipe is double the length of a simple vertical flue, and with two 90 degree bends. All that extra resistance to flow means the fire will not draw nearly as well. And the horizontal section is much more likely to soot up.

37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That flue pipe is double the length of a simple vertical flue, and with two 90 degree bends. All that extra resistance to flow means the fire will not draw nearly as well. And the horizontal section is much more likely to soot up.

I don't think anyone has been disputing the installation is stupid, having inerrant practical problems (sweeping it) and dangers.  What has been disputed is the statement that horizontal flues are not allowed and that was followed up by discussions about who enforces it, if indeed that statement even applies to boats.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Where does it say that ?

1) It was in the installation instructions that came with my stove and

2) It is stated in the Stove installation on Small boats BS spec (which is not compulsory, but shows 'best practice', and in the event of a fire / problem no doubt the insurers would wriggle saying it had not been installed in accordance with 'best practice'.)

Basic (soliftec.com)

When I saw the headimg "extreme flue pipe" it reminded me of the early days of the campaign to save the Forth & Clyde Canal from piecemeal obliteration.  In 1975 this former swing bridge was about to be replaced with an armco tube so in an attempt to stop the work this barge was fitted with a stove and flue which just cleared the bridge.   The just graduated lawyer pictured obtained an interim interdict against the County Council to stop the work.   It was a spurious case that stood no chance of sticking, but it did result in some useful publicity, and a Parliamentary Question.  The armco tube went ahead but was later replaced with a proper bridge with acceptable headroom.

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

more likely to tar up

5 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Horizontal flues are all the rage in coal- fired steam boilers.

And those flues are a part of the boiler installation and are provided with access doors so you can shove an urchin or two in to clean and sweep them.  Even then, flue explosions are not unknown.

The flues are also usually drawn by a ruddy great brick chimney.

N

3 minutes ago, BEngo said:

And those flues are a part of the boiler installation and are provided with access doors so you can shove an urchin or two in to clean and sweep them.  Even then, flue explosions are not unknown.

The flues are also usually drawn by a ruddy great brick chimney.

N

I was more thinking of locomotive boilers with fire tubes.  Bizzard has a terrifying picture of an exploded one.  Maybe the one below?image.png.5eed250a7396172cc3144f8a0ee7ef68.png