Awful incident a Autherley Junction today.

churchward

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't like to mention that, has it got an electric motor?

Yes, all electric. The props seam to be smaller than conventional on all the electric boats, maybe it’s to do with a higher rpm electric motor/drive??? hopefully @IanD will explain prop size for electric setup. It will be interesting to know the size and difference to diesel.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

You can't beat a good diesel engine as the prime mover but I would very much like to experiment with quite a powerful electric pod drive motor mounted in the rudder. Ideally it would have a single blade (or two blade if you like) propeller like an aircraft prop which would align itself with the rudder when not in use. 

This is achievable with modern electronically commutated brushless motors. 

My floating electric beer drinking platform is an 18ft long former Henley twat rowing shell which I put an electric motor on the back of. I opted for a remote control plane propeller for efficiency. 

A big version of this made into a rudder would be lovely. 

Might not work but there is nothing quite like having a really quite powerful diesel engine directly in line with the main propeller. 

Sorry to be a pain. I don't think this is the right thread to be discussing tllller/engine/prop functionality. I know discussions evolve organically but Im not sure this is the right one. Interesting stuff but a separate thread might be appropriate.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

Sorry to be a pain. I don't think this is the right thread to be discussing tllller/engine/prop functionality. I know discussions evolve organically but Im not sure this is the right one. Interesting stuff but a separate thread might be appropriate.

Agreed, esp as this thread started with a terrible accident resulting in the death of a boater, seems to have become too lighthearted. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2023 at 13:25, Higgs said:

And carry a knife. I'm never quite sure about knives, but it would be a working tool, under the circumstances.

knife.jpg.c1f3c01a9ee1c0d7515fa379d8e22904.jpg

Had my Opinel no. 7 confiscated at Windsor Castle today. Told it was illegal if I caused any more fuss they would call the police as it was/is a locking knife. I only bought it after reading this thread!

10 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Had my Opinel no. 7 confiscated at Windsor Castle today. Told it was illegal if I caused any more fuss they would call the police as it was/is a locking knife. I only bought it after reading this thread!

Well 'fool you' !

Why would you take a knife to Windsor Castle ?

Try reading up on Knife law and you'll understand - you were extremely lucky not to have been arrested.

The Opinel IS a locking knife.

A lock knife is different from a folding pocket knife, and it is an offense to carry around such a knife, even if it is 3 inches or smaller. As much as you have a good reason, chances are slim that you will be justified.

Your folding knife cannot have a locking mechanism, either. You get a maximum penalty of 4 years in prison if you are an adult caught with a folding knife and an unlimited fine. You get a prison sentence if you are convicted of carrying a knife more than once. Let’s get into some detail.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The 'safety ring' does appear to count as a locking mechanism making the above applicable.

It does seem odd that this 'illegal' knife can be bought from UK high street retailers, e.g. Blacks: https://www.blacks.co.uk/15900279/opinel-no7-classic-originals-carbon-steel-knife-15900279

Advertised as "the ideal choice for your picnics, barbecues and hiking", with no warning about use in public. Indeed the reviews say someone bought a few for their Scout troop!

I can see why the previous poster would assume an item sold that way must be legal, although taking anything pointy to Windsor Castle is certainly pushing the limits of good sense.

EDIT: doing some reading, it seems to be allowed "with good reason" as a larger fixed-bladed knife would be. Probably acceptable for boating, definitely not for visiting His Majesty!

Edited by Francis Herne

58 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

The 'safety ring' does appear to count as a locking mechanism making the above applicable.

It does seem odd that this 'illegal' knife can be bought from UK high street retailers, e.g. Blacks: https://www.blacks.co.uk/15900279/opinel-no7-classic-originals-carbon-steel-knife-15900279

Advertised as "the ideal choice for your picnics, barbecues and hiking", with no warning about use in public. Indeed the reviews say someone bought a few for their Scout troop!

I can see why the previous poster would assume an item sold that way must be legal, although taking anything pointy to Windsor Castle is certainly pushing the limits of good sense.

EDIT: doing some reading, it seems to be allowed "with good reason" as a larger fixed-bladed knife would be. Probably acceptable for boating, definitely not for visiting His Majesty!

A chef can legally have a huge sharp carving knife, a gardener a machete, and a boater a knife like the Opinel -- certainly in a place where they have a need to use them (kitchen, garden, boat), or carrying them from one place to another with a valid reason for doing this -- but definitely not taking them somewhere like Windsor Castle or the HoP... 😉

Edited by IanD

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well 'fool you' !

Why would you take a knife to Windsor Castle ?

Try reading up on Knife law and you'll understand - you were extremely lucky not to have been arrested.

The Opinel IS a locking knife.

A lock knife is different from a folding pocket knife, and it is an offense to carry around such a knife, even if it is 3 inches or smaller. As much as you have a good reason, chances are slim that you will be justified.

Your folding knife cannot have a locking mechanism, either. You get a maximum penalty of 4 years in prison if you are an adult caught with a folding knife and an unlimited fine. You get a prison sentence if you are convicted of carrying a knife more than once. Let’s get into some detail.

Re the fool they say it takes one to recognise one…..

in my defence I didn’t attempt to hide it, am obviously a 70 year old boater with picture of boat on the Windsor mooring on my phone which I showed. I was upfront showing them the knife and asking if I could retrieve it on my way out again. I explained I had forgotten to empty my pockets which also contained receipt for mooring fees, water point connector etc.

They consigned it to the Amnesty box. I will buy another one tomorrow.

Anyway there’s nowt worse than an old fool. Guilty as charged but I’m still a bit miffed 

When the boat is moving I always have this in my pocket - has a clip so it is always where I want it, and the way round that I want, also opens one handed (also closes one hand but thats not so important) and it is a lockblade (and mega sharp). But as soon as I tie up it goes in the ticket drawer and is replaced by a Boker that I carry everywhere else as it is UK legal.

Buck Selkirk.jpg

I just use box knives nowadays though i have an SAS type which sits in the bowdeck.

I would not ever use a blade on a person, too dangerous.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

That idea does not work against druggies, believe me, if I get angry because some banker tries to push the boundaries, I'll use whatever resources required, but if they are on another planet, its a bad idea.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I just use box knives nowadays though i have an SAS type which sits in the bowdeck.

I would not ever use a blade on a person, too dangerous.

I would hope you or anyone else wouldn't. Even if you didn't end up on the wrong end of the encounter you would be looking at a long time inside.

I was surprised that a Stanly knife, others are available, is regarded as a lock knife, as it has a locking blade. You may take it to and from work, but don't carry it anywhere else.

The original Stanley 99  (and its non-adjustable  successors) has a fixed blade that requires the use of a screwdriver to replace it. Some models are supplied with a slip-on blade protector. I have a couple that I use with the Stanley saw blades. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

As lads playing out in the fifties and sixties we we had sheaf knives in a leather pouch hung on a highly decorated studded belt. A status really.
I have whittled a few sticks in my time I can tell yer.

Didn’t even think of it as a form of defence.

• Greenie 3

8 hours ago, Peanut said:

I was surprised that a Stanly knife, others are available, is regarded as a lock knife, as it has a locking blade. You may take it to and from work, but don't carry it anywhere else.

I think it is because a certain element of society carry them as a sharp instrument capable of doing a lot of slashing damage to others.

• Greenie 2

On 24/06/2023 at 08:52, Nightwatch said:

As lads playing out in the fifties and sixties we we had sheaf knives in a leather pouch hung on a highly decorated studded belt. A status really.
I have whittled a few sticks in my time I can tell yer.

Didn’t even think of it as a form of defence.

When we moved 9 years ago, I found my old sheaf knife from my boyhood in the loft.

It was a lot smaller than I remembered...