Jump to content

Featured Posts

There was an article by Jo Dundee via the Coventry and Oxford Canal Facebook page about this.

 

(1) Jo Dundee | Facebook

I have only just heard that furniture at the Stop House in Braunston (GU) is being removed - because the building and garden are being sold 😡
Staff will be working from home even after the pandemic, CC’ers won’t be able to have post delivered there and there will be no chance to drop in to pay for licence or have problems sorted.
I asked a local boater and he has known since November but, despite being on FB daily, I have not seen mention on any groups.
It’s heartbreaking that such a prominent and much used waterways building (it is normally used as a welcome centre for boaters and visitors) should be sold off. At the rear of the building are local engineers’ offices.

 

Perhaps Timothy Coughlan could buy it?

 

 

Edited by Ray T
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't C&RT have to give notice somewhere on assets they plan to dispose of?

 

 

 

C&RT may :

 

3.13 dispose of or deal with all or any of its property with or without payment and subject to such conditions as the Trustees think fit (in exercising this power the Trust must comply as appropriate with the Charities Act 2011);

 

But the trustees :

 

2.4 The Trustee must obtain the Settlor’s prior written consent before:

 

2.4.1 disposing of any part of the Infrastructure Property a) by way of freehold; or b) by way of any leasehold disposal that would have the effect of restricting any generally available public access to the Infrastructure Property existing at the time of the disposal (for the avoidance of doubt the Parties agree that all towpaths are generally available to public access at the time of disposal);

 

2.4.2 seeking to amend this Settlement in any way (and any such amendment shall be ineffective without the Settlor’s prior written consent);

 

2.4.3 restricting pedestrian access to any part of the towpaths within the Infrastructure Property; for example by charging a fee for access, save that consent will not be needed for any temporary restrictions 7 either to allow maintenance/repair works or to protect persons from risks to their safety;

 

2.4.4 diverting the route of any towpath or part of a towpath, other than as permitted at Clause 3.5.1; and 2.4.5 carrying out any activities requiring the Settlor’s consent specified in any agreement between the Settlor and the Trustee or other arrangement.

 

2.5 The Trustee shall notify the Settlor in writing of its intention to carry out any matter requiring the Settlor’s consent and shall provide its reasons for doing so, before allowing the Settlor, in the Settlor’s reasonable opinion, sufficient time and providing the Settlor with sufficient information and other support to consider the matter and conduct any appropriate public consultation including, where the Infrastructure Property in question is located partly or fully in Wales, to allow the Settlor to consult the Welsh Ministers and where convenient and appropriate the Settlor may carry out such public consultation in collaboration or combination with the exercise by the Trustee of any duty to give notice to the public and invite representations under s.121(2) of the Charities Act. 2.6 Nothing in this Settlement shall require the Trustee to dedicate any part of the Infrastructure Property as a public highway nor shall it be taken as evidence of any such intent.

 

I think that the settlor is the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs;

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess they will sell anything for a high enough price - after all there are lots of tow paths to tarmac for the speed cyclists .... or useless signs for the walkers ... or some other project that does not benefit the canal system whatsoever.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CV32 said:

I guess they will sell anything for a high enough price - after all there are lots of tow paths to tarmac for the speed cyclists .... or useless signs for the walkers ... or some other project that does not benefit the canal system whatsoever.

I think you will find that work on tow paths are usually funded by sustrans or local councils so they wouldn't be funding dredging or other maintenance. Of course tow paths could always be left to return to the wild conditions of 50 years ago which isn't very boater friendly either 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never saw anything about the sale of the stop house locally. I get all updates of property for sale in Braunston. Surely CRT are obliged as a public body to achieve the best price possible for any sale of assets and usually this is done by public auction or tender however it was sold it looks like a underhand deal. Report them to the charity commission.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Of course tow paths could always be left to return to the wild conditions of 50 years ago which isn't very boater friendly either 

yes please 

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't C&RT have to give notice somewhere on assets they plan to dispose of?

 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/business-and-trade/public-notices

 

Nothing on there or on past notices about this. 

 

How do we know it's been sold?  It could be being leased to someone and the rumour mill has it wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/business-and-trade/public-notices

 

Nothing on there or on past notices about this. 

 

How do we know it's been sold?  It could be being leased to someone and the rumour mill has it wrong.

 

On another tread CRT are disposing of three lock cottages which I cannot see in the notices

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

 

On another tread CRT are disposing of three lock cottages which I cannot see in the notices

 

 

Which ones? Do they include Cropredy? (Checks bank balance, gets cheque book out).

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Athy said:

Which ones? Do they include Cropredy? (Checks bank balance, gets cheque book out).

 

You could moor your boat alongside as an end of garden mooring . . .

 

Although few agreed with me at the time, I remember posting on the forum that the passing of "British Waterways" was a sad moment - all the more so now that CRT are selling off assets.

I remember my first visit to the stop house way back in BW days when they had uniformed staff whose first priority was maintenance of the navigation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

 

You could moor your boat alongside as an end of garden mooring . . .

 

Given the current lack of boat movements, yes, for a while anyway.

Have there been many boats going through Cropredy? Here in Upwell I haven't seen one since the week after Christmas.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No - all we've seen is a gang of cut-throat pirates speeding past on Trojan!

Only joking :)

 

But there have been a few isolated boat movements barely more than one a day . . .

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Never saw anything about the sale of the stop house locally. I get all updates of property for sale in Braunston. Surely CRT are obliged as a public body to achieve the best price possible for any sale of assets and usually this is done by public auction or tender however it was sold it looks like a underhand deal. Report them to the charity commission.

Does this also mean the gongoozlers will no longer have an outside area to enjoy their unhealthy feasts in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Does this also mean the gongoozlers will no longer have an outside area to enjoy their unhealthy feasts in?

Avrils breakfast one of the best. Hope she can open again soon. Local lady with living to make.

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

CRT and Heritage or policy v reality

 

CRT and heritage

A Statement of Principles for the Waterways Heritage
To make sure that we continue to take the best possible care of our internationally important waterways heritage, we have enlisted the help of our Heritage Advisory Group to draw up a statement of six principles. These reflect our charitable objectives and our responsibilities to all of our heritage assets. 

Base our policies and practice on a sound understanding and recognition of the history and significance of the waterways heritage.
Apply the optimum conservation standards to maintain the integrity and authenticity of our heritage assets.
Accept a presumption in favour of conservation of these heritage assets, while recognising the wider aims, objectives and resources of the Trust.
Work with others to secure the conservation of the wider context and setting of our waterways.
Benchmark and report on our heritage conservation performance at regular intervals.
Maintain a Heritage Advisory Group to advise us on our policies and to monitor performance.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tuscan said:

CRT and Heritage or policy v reality

 

CRT and heritage

A Statement of Principles for the Waterways Heritage
To make sure that we continue to take the best possible care of our internationally important waterways heritage, we have enlisted the help of our Heritage Advisory Group to draw up a statement of six principles. These reflect our charitable objectives and our responsibilities to all of our heritage assets. 

Base our policies and practice on a sound understanding and recognition of the history and significance of the waterways heritage.
Apply the optimum conservation standards to maintain the integrity and authenticity of our heritage assets.
Accept a presumption in favour of conservation of these heritage assets, while recognising the wider aims, objectives and resources of the Trust.
Work with others to secure the conservation of the wider context and setting of our waterways.
Benchmark and report on our heritage conservation performance at regular intervals.
Maintain a Heritage Advisory Group to advise us on our policies and to monitor performance.

It doesn't say when they are proposing to follow this. :angry:  I think bearing in mind the importance of Braunston, this is one for the APPWG to take on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was almost certainly their main purpose from the off, as a charity selling off the silver isn't as contentious. Crt was a Cameron creation around the same time that he proposed he was planning to sell off our forestry land and woodlands. Fortunately he didn't get away with that. 

 The re investment argument doesn't cut it, rental would provide a sustainable income which must be preferable to a one off payment from a knock down sale. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.