March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

No, they have a great big diesel engine, four rubber tyres, a steering wheel and a comfy drivers cab, but they still ain't "motor vehicles".

George

Definition of a Motor Vehicle

The term 'motor vehicle' is defined in section 185(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 136(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as "a mechanically propelled vehicle, intended or adapted for use on roads".

Although this is the legal definition, ultimately it is a matter of fact and degree for a court to interpret as to whether or not a vehicle is a motor vehicle at the time of the incident.

The term mechanically propelled vehicle is not defined in the Road Traffic Acts. It is ultimately a matter of fact and degree for the court to decide. At its most basic level it is a vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means. It can include both electrically and steam powered vehicles.

Intended or adapted for use on roadsis also not defined by statute and again ultimately a matter for the court to decide based on the evidence before it.

There has, however, been extensive case law on the subject and the main point that emerges is what is known as the reasonable man test as per the following cases:

Burns v Currell [1963] 2 All ER 297

B was found sitting in a go-kart. The kart had a rear-mounted engine, a tubular frame, a single seat, silencer, steering wheel and column, but had no handbrake, horn, springs, driving mirror or wings. There was evidence that B had only used the go-kart on the unadopted road once. He was convicted and he appealed on the grounds that the go-kart was not intended or adapted for use on roads and was thus not a motor vehicle to which the regulations applied.

The Appeal was allowed and the conviction was quashed. The test to be adopted was the 'reasonable man test'. There must be sufficient evidence before the justices to prove beyond reasonable doubt that such a 'reasonable man' looking at the go-kart would say that one of its uses would be a use on the road.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences

On 18/01/2019 at 12:32, mrsmelly said:

A holiday boat...........in LIVERPOOL!!! ?

Why Not.

Liverpool was voted the best port in the UK to visit, this by the thousands of cruise ship passengers that come here, and has been for a number of years.  Hotels are still being built to cater for visitors who want to find out facts, not myths, about the city.

40 minutes ago, johnmoly said:

Why Not.

Liverpool was voted the best port in the UK to visit, this by the thousands of cruise ship passengers that come here, and has been for a number of years.  Hotels are still being built to cater for visitors who want to find out facts, not myths, about the city.

We spent a week there and found it very interesting

5 hours ago, Athy said:

I wonder if the enormous pieces of farm equipment - made by a firm called something like Klaas, I think - which sometimes lumber around our local lanes have that permission.

You will see width restrictions, posted I assume by the council, before some narrow bridges.

All the Claas combine range "fold up" to between 3m and 4m wide despite having cutter bars up to 12m wide.  The cutters are detachable and towed behind the base unit.

The notifcation requirements for this are 48 hours to the local police rather than a couple of months notice to everybody and his dog.

2 hours ago, johnmoly said:

Why Not.

I went there on a cruise on a grey funnel liner in about 1975 it was good for night life. I havnt been since as I couldnt afford to pay someone to keep their eyes on my car wheels whilst I parked up for a walk round ?

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

and of course it's had the "london whiteout" done to it.

Since we have march of the widebeams can I propose the following months...
January of the fishermen
February of the canoes
April of the paddleboarders
May of the ducks
etc etc

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not a problem, until the new owner realises how much cheaper life will be "continuously cruising" on the Paddington Arm.

George

How long before the whole system becomes a linear caravan site?  CRT won't care as long as everyone pays some sort of licence fee.   I look at Google Earth and see lines of boats everywhere.  Back in the seventies, BWB were encouraging the building of Marinas to get boats off the main line.   I suppose crawling past all these boats saves pulling the banks in with your wash.

17 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

How long before the whole system becomes a linear caravan site?  CRT won't care as long as everyone pays some sort of licence fee.   I look at Google Earth and see lines of boats everywhere.  Back in the seventies, BWB were encouraging the building of Marinas to get boats off the main line.   I suppose crawling past all these boats saves pulling the banks in with your wash.

On the present rate of decline south of Braunston I guess 5-10 years...……………….

We might as well get used to it people have a thing called "rights" these days so it wont change...…………...

I've got 5 years max to go and I estimate that after 55years of enjoyment I will just about see the end of cruising as we know it but the last 10 years haven't/wont be half as much fun - its easy to blame CRT but certainly its their "inclusive" era that will be remembered for all the wrong reasons - the rate of decline has been greater under Mr Parry and co than at any other time …………………...

44 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

But new marinas are springing up all over the place, I don't have any figures to say whether they're appearing faster than ever before but it wouldn't surprise me. In the last few years, just in the area which we regularly travel, Market Bosworth, Onley, Cropredy, Barby. This suggests that CART are still encouraging their construction and operation.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

But new marinas are springing up all over the place, I don't have any figures to say whether they're appearing faster than ever before but it wouldn't surprise me. In the last few years, just in the area which we regularly travel, Market Bosworth, Onley, Cropredy, Barby. This suggests that CART are still encouraging their construction and operation.

In the past, the idea was that on line moorings would be removed as new marinas appeared.  That quid pro quo seems to have been forgotten.

George

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

How long before the whole system becomes a linear caravan site?

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

On 04/01/2005 at 15:47, John Orentas said:

Whatever the motives where thirty five years ago, it was not to create a linear residential boat park for people, many of whom have no interest in the waterways other than for them to provide a way of life which will be subsidised by others.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, carlt said:

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

I was having the exact same thought. Mind you, we didn’t have the problem of wide beams on narrow canals in those days, did we?

PS alternate trans of your French: “I want my money back, and so does my mother.”

• Greenie 1