March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, frangar said:

Given that CRT must be aware I’m very disappointed they are letting it navigate the North Oxford. If anyone happens to see it on the water please send me a pic....

You could always ask George at the Stop House if he been informed. It would be funny if George was standing on the Towpath at the start of North Oxford when it cames round the corner. What happens next?   

21 hours ago, zenataomm said:

So you'd have no problem with Juggernauts scraping their way through villages, and should anyone else you'd then suggest motorbikes keep off motorways?

And you think we're strange?

"Each to their own" is an excellent way forward, however "Bu99er you, I'm getting what I want" is aggressive or at the very least thoughtlessly selfish.

3FA7510200000578-0-image-a-11_1493288718646.jpg

motorcycle-driving-on-empty-highway-450w-384345409.jpg

But large trucks do travel through villages and narrow lanes so why shouldn't so-called wide boats not travel along waterways in the same manner?

Just because they might present a minor challenge to you?

Keith

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, johnmck said:

Got to say, Tinternet is crap at Crick!

Hopefully, I have managed to download a couple of pictures of the boat soon heading for Dunchrch Pools from Braunston.

The fixed steel ladder on the stern is obviously for dredging...

IMG_20190525_205004.jpg

IMG_20190525_204954.jpg

That is not a Dutch barge! It has never seen the Netherlands and is an insult to the name. It is a wide beam with a centre wheelhouse!

Keith

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Given that CRT must be aware I’m very disappointed they are letting it navigate the North Oxford. If anyone happens to see it on the water please send me a pic...

If C&RT are not prepared to take action - the local council could (if it is has a residential mooring)

3.1.4 Control over the appearance of static boats and floating structures
There is the potential for some navigation authorities and/or the mooring operator to set terms and conditions relating to the type and appearance of vessel in the licence and/or mooring agreement.
A local planning authority does not normally have the power to control the design or appearance of moored vessels where no planning permission is required for that mooring, as such vessels are chattels and not part of the land subject to development control. Consequently a vessel may be altered or replaced with an entirely different type without the requirement for planning permission (although the permission of the mooring operator and/or navigation authority may be required).
A local planning authority may be able to control the design or appearance of vessels, however, in circumstances where planning permission is required for the mooring. Thus where planning permission is required for the ‘residential use’ of a mooring, the local planning authority may seek to control the design and appearance of the vessel by the imposition of planning conditions.
Local authorities do have powers to control the design and appearance of floating structures, such as houseboats, as planning permission is likely to be required for both the structure itself and the residential use of the mooring.

3.1.5 Failure to obtain planning permission: Planning Enforcement
A mooring operator should always make clear to the boater, as part of the mooring agreement, the planning designation of the mooring (and hence the permitted use) and that they are responsible for complying with local authority planning requirements.
Where the local planning authority believes there is unauthorised residential use and there has been a breach of planning control, either by the carrying out of development without planning permission or the carrying out of development in breach of a planning condition, they may consider it ‘expedient’ to commence enforcement proceedings. The relevant powers are set out in Part VII of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
A number of parties may become involved in resolving cases of unauthorised residential use of moorings:
 The local planning authority;
 The mooring operator (in some cases, this might be the navigation authority);
 The navigation authority (where there are navigational issues);
 The occupier of the houseboat or floating structure; and
 The local authority as housing and environmental health authority.
The local planning authority should first contact the mooring operator, if necessary through the navigation authority, in order to seek to resolve the issue. They may serve a planning enforcement notice upon the owner or occupier of the land and on any other person having an interest in the land, which may include the occupier of the vessel or structure, the mooring operator, the landowner and the navigation authority, requiring the unauthorised use to cease.

6 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Its being cranned in tomorrow not 5th June as i first posted.

That's an odd date to choose. Gonna cost them an extra month's license fee.

I wonder if it will remain in the marina until 1st June before venturing out. 

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well unless it’s on trade plates it’s going to need a licence to be moved tomorrow...and if it ventures out then that’s going to be fun for any other boat......these people never think what might happen if they met another boat the same travelling in the opposite direction......

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

Well unless it’s on trade plates it’s going to need a licence to be moved tomorrow...and if it ventures out then that’s going to be fun for any other boat......these people never think what might happen if they met another boat the same travelling in the opposite direction......

The chances of meeting one the same coming the other are exactly zero, given the only place it could be coming from is Dunchurch and there are no 14ft monsters in there. Or are there? And are they planning an excursion tomorrow? 

Thing is, I have no particular objection to a 'once in a lifetime' trip for a house boat like this from crane wharf to destination, but sooner or later we are gonna have one CCing.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The chances of meeting one the same coming the other are exactly zero, given the only place it could be coming from is Dunchurch and there are no 14ft monsters in there. Or are there? And are they planning an excursion tomorrow? 

Thing is, I have no particular objection to a 'once in a lifetime' trip for a house boat like this from crane wharf to destination, but sooner or later we are gonna have one CCing.

There’s already at least one or two wide beams in Dunchurch plus a couple in Barby as well...

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How often are any of them seen out cruising?

They probably think the same....”I’ll never meet another one....” 

The fact is they don’t belong on a narrow waterway in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

They probably think the same....”I’ll never meet another one....” 

The fact is they don’t belong on a narrow waterway in the first place. 

Agreed. 

Another fact is they tend to stay in their marina once they get there, so the objection voiced earlier that I was answering, that this monster might meet one the same coming the other way seems unlikely. 

• Greenie 1

I am not a boat snob but that thing might be technically a boat, i.e. it floats and it will move but its just awful. It really is not that hard to build in some sheer and a pleasing shape to something but that thing is an embarrassment. Everything is right angles and ruler straight edges. Horrible. 

1 minute ago, dogless said:

To be fair, that also says the canals are 4'7" deep :)

If boats can't physically travel that stretch of the N. Oxford they won't.

If they can I'm sure they will.

Rog

Unfortunately that view is becoming common....just because a boat can fit thro a lock or bridge hole doesn’t mean it’s suitable for the waterway....you only have to look at the bridges on the Oxford to see the damage caused by narrowboats with no tumblehome let alone a widebeam like the one pictured. 

20 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Lifted from a previous poster.

27335615_10154928351881076_1725719436_o.jpg

Do these figures change to suit the lack of maintenance as the entire Oxford Canal has accommodated full length (72') and full beam (7' and a bit) since working days - as quoted by Bradshaw's in 1904. I appreciate there will be occasional problems, such as lock 9 at Napton, but figures that suggest a narrower gauge are concerning and should be challenged :captain:

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Do these figures change to suit the lack of maintenance as the entire Oxford Canal has accommodated full length (72') and full beam (7' and a bit) since working days - as quoted by Bradshaw's in 1904. I appreciate there will be occasional problems, such as lock 9 at Napton, but figures that suggest a narrower gauge are concerning and should be challenged :captain:

as discussed on a recent thread about the K&A and navigation difficulties, CRT change the measurements to suit their maintenance budget, contractor supervision(or lack of) and amount of reservoirs full of water sold off without allowing themselves an option of future water use. They then blame boaters for falling foul of these changed dimensions.

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/32433-waterway-dimensions.pdf?v=606a43

On the current web page for the Oxford only 7ft beam is given apart from Braunston Jcn to Wigrams which is cited as 12ft 7in beam.

Yes I just found that on the CRT website - typical eh.

72' x 7' will do for me (well preferably 7' and a bit anyway) :captain:

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No its going on its wsy tomorrow. Probably has a trade plate.

7 hours ago, dogless said:

You seem annoyed about many things.

Try to relax.

Boating's supposed to be fun.

Wide beam or narrow (not sure about lorries though)

Rog

No, I don't allow such things to annoy me.

Your assumption is based on a written communication on a forum, lacking tone of voice and body language.

If we were face to face in a pub you'd see me laughing and buying you a drink.

• Greenie 3