March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, dogless said:

So the new boat and owners disappeared into their marina to live happily ever after on their floating, dream home.

The sun still rises and sets.

I love a happy ending :)

Rog

Did it sink anybody en route? 

3 minutes ago, dogless said:

So the new boat and owners disappeared into their marina to live happily ever after on their floating, dream home.

The sun still rises and sets.

I love a happy ending :)

Rog

That'll account for your wide, beaming smile.

The only problem we had on the southern oxford with the bows on a full length unconverted town with deck board and planks up, was when ( lister) the cat decided that the place to look down on everyone while boating was a foot back from the front of the deck board. He settled down and we carried on canalbulating. 

As we came into thrupp he got a bit concerned but being a pedantic little bugger insisting on staying there. Sue lock wheeling snapped a shot of him in place which i which i will look out. I swear he was muttering left a bit right a bit at times

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well I counted 11 fatties in our marina this afternoon on the T&M. They cant get to Middlewich because someone put a narrow aqueduct in the way

Are these moorers bonkers? The marina can charge them whatever they like as the competition is virtualy zero. Moving by crane and truck to save mooring fees being the only option!!

57 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Would the 6' headroom be based upon a boat of 12'7'' beam, so giving space for a cabin under the lowering section of the bridge arch.

You and I both know that a large empty Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. motor with a full size cratch needs a height getting on for 9' and will easily fit along this section because the highest point of the cratch goes through the highest point of the arch - and the cabin is nowhere near the arch.

6' does sound low however :captain:

edit - if I remember correctly the two lowest bridges are on the southern Oxford Canal, one at Kiddlington and the other astride Shipton Weir Lock - both of which can be a nuisance with a cratch up when empty.

Good point.

Keith

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And who knows how big his grin will be if he ever gets a dog!!

I had thought of our esteemed colleague on 'Paneke' as a Mr. Gless.

7 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

The only problem we had on the southern oxford with the bows on a full length unconverted town with deck board and planks up, was when ( lister) the cat decided that the place to look down on everyone while boating was a foot back from the front of the deck board. He settled down and we carried on canalbulating. 

As we came into thrupp he got a bit concerned but being a pedantic little bugger insisting on staying there. Sue lock wheeling snapped a shot of him in place which i which i will look out. I swear he was muttering left a bit right a bit at times

Was that the cat I witnessed you trying to prise out of a tree at Cowley one New Year's day in the early 80s with your long shaft?

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Are these moorers bonkers? The marina can charge them whatever they like as the competition is virtualy zero. Moving by crane and truck to save mooring fees being the only option!!

Weaver, Manchester Ship Canal, Bridgewater, then either Rochdale or Leigh Branch to Leeds and Liverpool. (In theory, anyway. Dunno if any of them have actually done it! )

7 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Was that the cat I witnessed you trying to prise out of a tree at Cowley one New Year's day in the early 80s with your long shaft?

No. Lister loved boating. That was dipper ( deliberately drowned by anglers at cowroast)

she made the mistake once at cowley of absconding on to jaguar as engines commenced. Rather than a quiet butty ride to little venice she bollindered her way there.

on arrival she saw the butty and came home rapidly

5 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Weaver, Manchester Ship Canal, Bridgewater, then either Rochdale or Leigh Branch to Leeds and Liverpool. (In theory, anyway. Dunno if any of them have actually done it! )

Passing the boatyard near lymm yesterday  I noted the number of wide beams either in occupation or being fitted out.

7 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

the mistake once at cowley of absconding on to jaguar as engines commenced. Rather than a quiet butty ride to little venice she bollindered her way there.

I wouldn't have touched Jaguar if she had a Bolinger.  Don't think my dog would have liked it either.  Nice quiet Lister when we worked her.

21 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Are these moorers bonkers? The marina can charge them whatever they like

Same as Mobile Home sites - "Your caravan is too old, you will have to get a new one", Etc  Etc.  We looked into it once - No way, thanks.  They have got you over a barrel.

• Greenie 1

There are 4 or 5 of these monsters in Salthouse dock right now. All are squarebacks and the interesting thing is they all have zero tumblehome, in fact because the cabin sides turn in at the bow they actually have negative tumblehome when looking at them from the front which looks really odd. They appear to have very effective bowthrusters :).

..............Dave

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

No an Alan Braby addition I think

Whatever turns you on.  Can't think of any good reason to change.  Some old boy on the GU told be that she once had a bus engine, complete with radiator.  Might account for the big engine room.  The engine bearers had more holes than a colander.

Edited by Chris Williams

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

No an Alan Braby addition I think

JAGUAR was fitted with a Bolinder BM 20hp in about 1983 by Alan Braby (Lister HA2 for sale summer 1983), it having come out of KESTREL (exOSTRICH). This engine was replaced by a more conventional Bolinder 15hp twenty years ago, with the 20 hp engine going into LILY. JAGUAR was fitted with a Bolinder 1113BR about five years ago :captain: 

18 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Whatever turns you on.  Can't think of any good reason to change.  Some old boy on the GU told be that she once had a bus engine, complete with radiator.  Might account for the big engine room.  The engine bearers had more holes than a colander.

Had a Lister FR3 with radiator, fitted Saltley, 1956 I believe

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh, a Gardner then?

?

He said it was out of a London bus, which would b either AEC or Leyland.

3 minutes ago, archie57 said:

Had a Lister FR3 with radiator, fitted Saltley, 1956 I believe

That could be it.  How many engines??