Bargees Complain about Schooling Problems

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

It's just a game with each side using the tools available to them? I'll have a little rant anyway though. :)

Personally, I find much of my life has been made worse by a few moaning idiots making a fuss about easily circumvented nonsense leading to clamping down and tightening up.

E.g. bank charges. Before banks were forced to set them out and apply them fairly, I wormed my way out of every single charge for decades, now it's computer says no!

Peace convoy: These idiots made it impossible to wild camp in England.

Bargee travellers I fear are water born equivalent of the peace convoy, probably msome of the same people, still hell bent on fighting authority for it's own sake. If it wasn't this they'd be camped on a grouse moor claiming the right to educate their own children in a community yurt that didn't actually exist. Anything for delay, obfuscation and argument will do, it's a way of life.

• Greenie 2

oh those poor children growing up

without a state funded education... eh up

i've had an idea ...why not "home educate"!

Weaving yoghurt bonnets is hard to teach on a wobbly boat.

I can see where they are coming from, i might start something along the same lines, i cant move because the trees block my solar further down the canal, they should let me stay here and charge my batteries all day..... What will i do without my fix of soaps each night.

If local authorities have to pay for transport for children further than 2/3 of a mile from school, why aren't all the LAs bankrupt (as opposed to just some...) and why are the roads clogged with 4x4s twice a day?

The NBW report (if it can be believed) is yet another example of somebody wanting to assert his/her rights without the accompanying responsibilities. The chosen lifestyle is incompatible for legal reasons with having children of school age, although there is nothing to prevent anyone from seeking a permanent mooring.

Bread buttered on both sides, anyone?

• Greenie 2

If local authorities have to pay for transport for children further than 2/3 of a mile from school, why aren't all the LAs bankrupt (as opposed to just some...) and why are the roads clogged with 4x4s twice a day?

sorry, my mistake 2 OR 3 miles from school depending on age

If only someone had raised children on boats years ago and could have explained to these poor poor barge dwellers the difficulties it brings, maybe they could have made a different choice in their lifestyle.

oh hang on...

If only someone had raised children on boats years ago and could have explained to these poor poor barge dwellers the difficulties it brings, maybe they could have made a different choice in their lifestyle.

oh hang on...

Yeah oh hang on, some have never lived in houses, you do know that don't you?

Surely the problem has been created by former authority turning a 'blind eye' to boaters who move very little, for whatever reason.

This set a kind of precedent which is only now being overturned.

I have to say I feel very uncomfortable damning young families for wanting to live aboard, and in very many instances there simply aren't moorings available.

I hope some long term strategy can be acheived, as I for one love to see young families on the canals, instead of being entirely grey haired dodderers like me. After all, diversity is a good thing isn't it?

Rog

Yeah oh hang on, some have never lived in houses, you do know that don't you?

Greenie for that

Oh I can't

Rog

• Greenie 4

Dogless, yes.

we are where we are because as you say,

CRT have moved the goalposts, there are families who never had any trouble and now they get threatened with section 8

And:
They can't just 'get a mooring' please show me some moorings in these areas that they can just go and 'get' ones which are residential and will welcome kids.
Social housing shortage.

ban on squatting - yes I know a lot of land based travellers are now on boats too, i know families where the parents are registered as travellers and therefore the kids are too. If you reduce peoples options you will get to the point that they are sleeping in tents.
Unaffordable or no/little public transport to work in some places. Have you seen how much some season tickets are?
Funding cuts for charities - I know two single parent families who fled violence and are on boats, have you seen how many womens refuges have closed? And the ones that are left have no spaces. Same as homeless shelters, no spaces.
Because there is no social housing available you have to rent private sector. There is a shortage of suitable properties in some areas - eg all of the building near me is executive flats and the social housing has all been cancelled from the stadium development. Where will these people go?
Landlords can pick and choose who they rent to - executives get priority over messy families with kids and pets.
I don't blame anyone for taking to the water, especially if they are poor as the bankside choices are so grim in some places.

We're taking about a couple of hundred families at the most, though, here, its not ever going to be a lifestyle most people will ever think about is it? And surely we should not hold children responsible for their parents decisions? we have a duty to educate them don't we?

Edited by Lady Muck
  • Greenie 1

I suspect that may be because the School being attended is not the nearest available one to their home, and therefore not eligible for free school transport, The School in our Village routinely gets good SATS results, which has led to amost half the children attending not living anywhere near the School. We live five doors down from the School and the road outside is clogged with big vehicles at both ends of the School day.

Edited by David Schweizer

Ladymuck.

Wow, you're on a roll. I don't profess to know the answer but I'm sure people aren't choosing to put themselves in this situation.

I think we sometimes forget how fortunate we are.

Rog

Edited by dogless

Ladymuck.

Wow, you're on a roll. I don't profess to know the answer but I'm sure people aren't choosing to put themselves in this situation.

I think we sometimes forget how fortunate we are.

Rog

It does tend to push my buttons a bit ! :D

But they might choose the situation because the alternative is grim, or because they've always travelled, because they fall pregnant and don't want to lose their home all sorts of reasons. I say, best of luck to them.

Most urban schools (and that is the majority of kids) don't have a catchment area so large transport is needed( nobody outside the 2 or 3 mile limit). The roads are full of people doing the school run because either they are so scared of modern life they won't let the kids out on their own or the little dears can't face the walk to school.