Behaviour - Lock queuing without helping?

Timx

Featured Posts

Yes it is a bit of a modern trend unfortunately. In the past we would help at locks without a second thought. These days there are so many uptight people who want to shout at you if you open the paddle too quickly, or who resent receiving any help at all because (perhaps) it makes them feel inadequate. Sometimes it is tempting just to wait your turn. What is at the root of that is too many inexperienced boaters who are on edge at locks because they find it slightly scary / difficult / unfamiliar or whatever. It is their insecurity that makes them tetchy and hence the temptation to just let them get on with it. All a bit sad really.

But let's not forget that there are folk out there like you and me too!

Edited by nicknorman

At Penkridge lock the other day, Jane, my wife, went forward to the lock as it was her turn.

A gentleman single hander was bringing his boat into the set lock.

"Are you alone love" my wife asked.

"Yes" he replied.

"If you want you can stay on and I'll work the lock, we're coming up anyway"

The man ignored her. She thought perhaps the A5 traffic noise was the problem.

She repeated her offer as he began to close the gate.

"You can ask me but don't tell me what to do" he said.

"Do it your bloody self then" she said, and stood back to watch.

It won't put either of us helping at locks, but it does make you realise why some people don't.

Rog

I did point out to my wife that perhaps his interpersonal skills may explain his being alone :)

I've only seen this once or twice, the vast majority of boaters help each other in my experience.

I am saddened to say that it is getting to be the norm. We are not what I would call long time boaters as we didnt move on board until 1989 so relatively recently but I have to say that in those few years I have seen assistance at locks/bridges etc decline greatly. As soon as we get to a lock even if several boats back swmbo goes to the lock windlass in hand and assists locking peeps thro. I of course dont often do this as I am a bloke and rightly stay with the boat but if we have to tie up nearer the lock I too go and help, always have always will. Most things in life it appears are going the same way. I think too manu boaters feel waiting at a lock is time to catch up on Farcebook or twatter or some such other nonsense. Its a shame but alas true.

Tim

I am saddened to say that it is getting to be the norm. We are not what I would call long time boaters as we didnt move on board until 1989 so relatively recently but I have to say that in those few years I have seen assistance at locks/bridges etc decline greatly. As soon as we get to a lock even if several boats back swmbo goes to the lock windlass in hand and assists locking peeps thro. I of course dont often do this as I am a bloke and rightly stay with the boat but if we have to tie up nearer the lock I too go and help, always have always will. Most things in life it appears are going the same way. I think too manu boaters feel waiting at a lock is time to catch up on Farcebook or twatter or some such other nonsense. Its a shame but alas true.

Tim

Seconded....it's very sad....seems when you offer help now you are eyed with suspicion. Even when I'm single handed I've helped others through that are coming towards me or in front.....it really confuses some people!....I hope if enough of us keep doing it then we can get back to how it was.....I've only had a hissy fit once or twice when a well crewed boat seemed unable to leave their craft and wer happy to let me do all the work.....I was forthright in my indignation!

Cheers

Gareth

I always wander up when i can - usually singlehanding so it isn't always possible. i must admit that if I see a crewed boat waiting, either the other way or behind me, and no-one bothers to come and help, then i slow down considerably. I always make sure I tie the boat up afterwards and walk back to shut the gate as well.

But it's still rare, in my experience - i think more help than don't. The one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people don't move their boats up when queueing any more, just let the gaps develop, which is irritating if you want to get to a ring so you can go and help at the lock, or you're stuck standing in the thistles at the back of the line.

It's a social time. Even if you only go forward for a chat I wish everyone would.

We don't mind if you'd rather operate the lock yourself, but it doesn't hurt to be pleasant about it,

Anyway, we'll continue, and I'm sure the majority will too.

Rog

• Greenie 1

I love having help through the locks though it is much slower...little sis gets gossiping with normally the woman off the next boat and life histories, medical ailments and hobbies are discussed at length whilst me and normally the guy on the other boat stand watching exchanging comments over our boats..oh and then they are normally joined by women from boats waiting to use locks from the other direction. No hurry, no unpleasantness yet but guess at some point we will meet someone without patience whose gotta get through quick.

• Greenie 1

We were told by a few hire crews last year that they had been instructed not to assist other boats. When i asked how they felt about that they said they would love to help. I said most people would be ok with that as long as they ask first if help is required and what form that help should be in. One hire crew even came up to a lock and asked if they watch because they didn't know what to do! Bizarre.....

Some of the nicest people I've met on the canals have been hire boat crew nervously walking up to their first lock, often well aware that they haven't a Scooby and very anxious not to give offence to other boaters. I've seen them sometimes standing on the towpath windlass in hand wondering whether they should wait there until a boat in the lock has gone, and having to be encouraged to approach like some timid form of wildlife in one of those nature documentaries. Please be gentle with them everybody.

The one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people don't move their boats up when queueing any more, just let the gaps develop, which is irritating if you want to get to a ring so you can go and help at the lock, or you're stuck standing in the thistles at the back of the line.

I tend to do this (as a single-hander) mostly because I've tethered the boat (one way or another) and moving up merely means that everyone has to untether and retether. So, I encourage a game of leap-frog whereby all know who next to enter the lock although they might not be at the physical head of the 'queue'.

We've always enjoyed chatting at locks. We always help where it's appropriate, remembering that it's the helm who remains in charge. It's a real shame that people (with big crews) are starting to stay with their boats.

Our girls at 16 and 14 (already with 6 years experience) would often disappear for hours at busy lock flights like Atherstone, helping others. Boats coming the other way would tell us that they were 3 locks ahead of us, aiding a single hander. They received many thanks, and us compliments on our parenting skills. I'm sure they were better behaved on the boat than at home!!

Now 22 and 20, they will both be joining us aboard next week for one of the first foursomes since then. Looking forward to it.

• Greenie 1

At Penkridge lock the other day, Jane, my wife, went forward to the lock as it was her turn.

A gentleman single hander was bringing his boat into the set lock.

"Are you alone love" my wife asked.

"Yes" he replied.

"If you want you can stay on and I'll work the lock, we're coming up anyway"

The man ignored her. She thought perhaps the A5 traffic noise was the problem.

She repeated her offer as he began to close the gate.

"You can ask me but don't tell me what to do" he said.

"Do it your bloody self then" she said, and stood back to watch.

It won't put either of us helping at locks, but it does make you realise why some people don't.

Rog

I did point out to my wife that perhaps his interpersonal skills may explain his being alone :)

I think I met the same guy on the T&M just recently!

Tim

A man stays with his boat??? Please tell me you're joking? I single hand and almost always go up to help.

Some of the nicest people I've met on the canals have been hire boat crew nervously walking up to their first lock, often well aware that they haven't a Scooby and very anxious not to give offence to other boaters. I've seen them sometimes standing on the towpath windlass in hand wondering whether they should wait there until a boat in the lock has gone, and having to be encouraged to approach like some timid form of wildlife in one of those nature documentaries. Please be gentle with them everybody.

Yes!! Great post.

I think I met the same guy on the T&M just recently!

A man stays with his boat??? Please tell me you're joking? I single hand and almost always go up to help.

Yes!! Great post.

Of course I stay with the boat. Usualy there are no rings etc back from the lock so I either hover off or walk along holding the centre rope. I have a female onboard she goes and helps at the lock like women should I always carry her with me for the washing up and cleaning and lock work etc. I know some people think things have changed but there are things women do and things blokes do. Just as a " For instance " last time I checked females had babies and not blokes though like as not that will change sometime with bloomin medical intervention.

Tim

Having just got through the 11 th March winter stoppages for maintenance, happy to be on our way ,pointing in the right direction. I have noticed today Sunday wow a massive increase in traffic from the last few weeks, it must be the start of boating ,although all owned boats etc so far. Going along the Trent and Mersey this aft it was a boat meeting at every blind bend and bridge, seen more moving boats today than in the last month, and all heading towards me, but turned off on to staffs and Worcester never saw a boat move again, must be something going on ?

When we queued up at the lock stoppage, we noticed as there was a queue, people only seemed to be approaching the lock windlass in hand when it was there turn, I thought it is quicker for all concerned on both sides that we help each other through, so g/f went up about an hour before we would of got through, and locked about eight boats through before us, when it was our turn to go through, we had to do it alone, how sad.as all had there own boats so must know the score. Spread the word all help each other.

So, to take the other point of view, those at the back of the queue aren't actually trying to help those in front of them are they?

They are actually trying to hurry those ahead of them through for their own advantage.

If I'm going through a lock, and there are 8 boats behind me, do I actually want the guy on the back boat in the queue throwing paddles up a bit too fast to shave 2 minutes of the time of each boat in front of him?

• Greenie 1

How very unusual!

A topic that would do better in General Boating, posted in the VP. It's usually the other way around.

I hope no one minds if I move it there now.

That's not how i see it, Dave. I always walk up to the lock with windlass in hand but the main purpose is to chat and to be there to help if the skipper wants any help. I would never wind up a paddle without getting an OK from the steerer although this means that I sometime stand there for ages trying to attract his attention :-). Even if there is a crew member winding the other paddle, I still wait for the skipper to indicate that it is Ok for me to wind the one I am at. This gives the skipper the opportunity to decline any help or to indicate that he wants the paddle up slowly, fast or just part way. I don't actually put my windlass on the gear until I have the OK to do so.

Seems to work..

I don't take exception if my offer to help is declined and just stand back.

haggis

Going up the Audlem flight on the Shroppie last year (6 of us on a hire boat) we caught up to a single-handed lady in -- I guess -- her sixties, who was obviously very experienced but equally obviously much slower than we were.

She quickly realised this and pulled over and waved us past, so I stayed behind (with her thanks!) to help her up the flight behind our boat. We spent the next couple of hours having a good old natter with her (mostly) on the boat and me doing (most of) the locks, keeping one lock behind our boat since they were setting the next lock ready for us. I left her as she was going into the next-to-top lock, went ahead to set the top lock for her, and waved goodbye as we went on our way.

Net outcome, everybody happy -- we put a bit more effort in to help (but I love doing locks anyway), she got up the flight a lot more easily than on her own, I got some interesting stories -- like the time her dog (also lovely!) was partly responsible for the sign at the Black Lion in Consall Forge (also lovely!) warning about the incompatibility of dogs and chickens, having got off the leash as she was leaving and killed one in front of the customers...

Going up the Audlem flight on the Shroppie last year (6 of us on a hire boat) we caught up to a single-handed lady in -- I guess -- her sixties, who was obviously very experienced but equally obviously much slower than we were.

She quickly realised this and pulled over and waved us past, so I stayed behind (with her thanks!) to help her up the flight behind our boat. We spent the next couple of hours having a good old natter with her (mostly) on the boat and me doing (most of) the locks, keeping one lock behind our boat since they were setting the next lock ready for us. I left her as she was going into the next-to-top lock, went ahead to set the top lock for her, and waved goodbye as we went on our way.

Net outcome, everybody happy -- we put a bit more effort in to help (but I love doing locks anyway), she got up the flight a lot more easily than on her own, I got some interesting stories -- like the time her dog (also lovely!) was partly responsible for the sign at the Black Lion in Consall Forge (also lovely!) warning about the incompatibility of dogs and chickens, having got off the leash as she was leaving and killed one in front of the customers...

They still talk about that!

Having just got through the 11 th March winter stoppages for maintenance, happy to be on our way ,pointing in the right direction. I have noticed today Sunday wow a massive increase in traffic from the last few weeks, it must be the start of boating ,although all owned boats etc so far. Going along the Trent and Mersey this aft it was a boat meeting at every blind bend and bridge, seen more moving boats today than in the last month, and all heading towards me, but turned off on to staffs and Worcester never saw a boat move again, must be something going on ?

When we queued up at the lock stoppage, we noticed as there was a queue, people only seemed to be approaching the lock windlass in hand when it was there turn, I thought it is quicker for all concerned on both sides that we help each other through, so g/f went up about an hour before we would of got through, and locked about eight boats through before us, when it was our turn to go through, we had to do it alone, how sad.as all had there own boats so must know the score. Spread the word all help each other.

Story of our lives, we always go ahead and help, it means the boats ahead can get away without stopping to close up, we normally find when its our turn we are also alone.