Tim and Pru New series

STIG

Featured Posts

Surely any call to a pest control company would be a "nuisance"? Also, that company should be well able to deal with it.laugh.png

Probably why I subconsciously spelt 'bee' instead of 'be'. After noticing it I thought it fitting so I left it. Not that bees are necessarily pests (any more than wasps for that matter) but it does depend on where they choose to live.

Surely any call to a pest control company would be a "nuisance"? Also, that company should be well able to deal with it.laugh.png

Surely those kinds of companies virtually never receive calls from pests themselves? It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. Rather, they'd get calls from people wanting to eliminate pests.

What modern-ish Black Prince boats make use of a reconditioned taxi engine ? I though that sounded a bit fanciful!

I think from the quick look of the instrument panel it was a Canalline engine. I think they are Korean made and I have a faint recall of reading they were used in taxis amongst other things over there but maybe not.

It did make a bit of a racket sounded like belts slipping though.

I thought that as well - but kept schtum, the same with the squeaky water pump (?). However it was an elderly boat.

As with old Alvechurch boats, they end up in unusual locations. The paint was very faded....

Q. Would 'you' hire out one of your better boats - with T&P's visual history of hitting things and bad turns??

It had a 520... index number, so probably not elderly at all.

Yes, all of them. The Paddington mooring is either the old CRT 'Jena' boat mooring, or where one of the restaurant boats is kept. Canal museum mooring is bookable, Three Mills is a place where CRT sometimes put up reserved signs for boat trips ( think SPCC book it)

Anyone wanting to visit, If you book moorings, its not that stressy, to visit London, you could do a night at the new bookable spot in LV, then move to Canal museum and there is always room at Limehouse. Or just say you are visiting on London Boaters facebook page, ask for help with moorings, boaters will invite you to raft up with them and give you a good welcome.

Exactly what we did except for booking Rembrandt Gardens. Went through and up to Bishops Stortford and back through London for Christmas. Only breasted up once even though we spent 2 or 3 weeks in the centre.

Yeah feel free to dismiss farmers (and therefore farming). Best of luck sourcing your next meal - Quorn and water?

Have spent the last 29 years rubbing shoulders with many farmers, some of whom I counted as friends and I stand by my comment.

Phil

Have spent the last 29 years rubbing shoulders with many farmers, some of whom I counted as friends and I stand by my comment.

Phil

Well this is going to seem tit for tat but is just meant to show the other side of the coin I have spent over 40 years rubbing shoulders/working with farmers many of whom I count as friends and your comment is way off the mark in my experience.

It just goes to show farming must be profitable in your area but not anywhere I have been.

Doesn't the profitability in farming depend on if they own the land they farm or are tenant farmers and have to pay rent.

It's nothing to do with area is it?

If I see him coming I is activating hover mode for my boat :clapping: Jayne is just saying that she is better at getting in and out off locks better than Tim:captain:

Peter

Jan said much the same, but I still maintain there is an element of 'staging' involved.

Napton narrowboats might have something to say though, I wonder if he gets his damage waver back?

Just a thought, not wanting to start a scrap but, if farming was such a God awful way of scratching a living, why do it? Please don't say for the glory or the good of the common msn, the only reason any of us work at any profession is to make a bob or two.

Phil

Just a thought, not wanting to start a scrap but, if farming was such a God awful way of scratching a living, why do it? Please don't say for the glory or the good of the common msn, the only reason any of us work at any profession is to make a bob or two.

Phil

Well off topic and I promised myself not to disrupt the thread any more.

All the ones I know "for love". Most born into it and love it so much they can't consider doing anything else.

Phil

I would have thought that cleaning up vomit or the products of double incontinence which is what Care Workers do (often on little more than minimum wage) is hardly a desirable job and yet people do it. Perhaps some people DO actually work for the good of the common man, or why else would they take such work? The comparison with farmers is that they often handle industrial quantities of sh*t. Perhaps there may be a sense of achievement to it (which is rather lacking in most desk jockey jobs!)

• Greenie 1

Phil

It is absolutely a business but for many a vocation too. Like any business sector there are large corporations and small and medium companies too. There is no doubt that some small farmers work very hard for moderate returns like any owner operator. Farming has some very seasonal and climatic influences that mean each year can be very different with wildly fluctuating prices and success of crops.

If your are a sheep farmer you basically only have 1 crop per year and you work all year in all weathers to make that happen however get your lambing month wrong with the weather you may have have few too sell but still all the costs to produce next years lambs and hay to make and store for the following winter. It is hard work with a great deal out of your control. The upside is that you can be working for yourself and what you earn is yours. Working out doors on your own land is very satisfying.

There are of course generations of farmers who have owned and worked their land so there is in part a form of legacy and working to keep the farm together for the next generation.

The farmer next to us is just like that he has worked the farm since a boy and is all he wanted to do. His son is now taking over. The old man is part of the hills and mountain around just like the earth under his feet. In fact I said to him that he seems like he wasn't born just found in a field one day he is so in tune with what is happening he just laughed.

I did my bit today too. He rained all night and all morning and was cold. Some of the young lambs were looking weary and one had collapsed its mother nudging it to move. We picked it up limp and dried it off and warmed it up in front of the Rayburn. After and hour or so it stood and could be reunited with its mother. They are in the farmers shed tonight to recover further.

• Greenie 2

Churchwarden has posted the only post which makes any sense, a virtual greenie awarded.

Phil

yes I was expecting a conversation about the canal de midi, which I now have a lot more interest in than I did before I watched that programme, mainly because my wife said she would like to go there and as she has a milestone birthday in a year ar so, I think I may have found the perfect present,(for both of us) just hope Tim is not coming the other way,

Last night's episode was lovely. And, for all there's editing and staging, you really do feel they've travelled the waters, stayed the nights and 'been there' for the programme (unlike another programme in another place).

And Easter weekend is upon us, so we're out on the boat from Thursday night!

Glasses raised to all those in and around boats and especially to Tim and Pru for their TV episodes! cheers.gif

I found last night's episode fascinating. Also, as I know very little about the Canal du Midi, I felt that I was watching it in a way that was similar to that of someone who knows little about the British canals for the earlier episodes. I think I now understand a bit better how it would draw someone to see our own canals.

Have been boating in France for a few years now but never been as far South as the Midi, (its too hot for us and the dog) and I thought the programme was good, it actually inspired us to work out ways to get the boat there in cooler months. Tim is as daft as a brush, just like most of us would be if we were filmed. Its not an instruction manual on the finer points of boat handling nor is it a dreary travelogue, it is what it is, a couple of decent folk with not many more years in front of them with a love of watery things bouncing off bits of canal infrastructure.