Tim and Pru New series

STIG

Featured Posts

I think we are talking a wee bit at odds here :-) yes, if we are coming in to moor, I would use the rope to lasoo a bollard and do as you suggest but if I am getting off the boat to walk dogs or work a lock then tying the boat up at the bows would mean that the skipper has to come to the front to untie it again after I get off :-) . Also, I tend to get off at bridge holes to walk dogs and there aren't bollards there. OK, I know that you should get off at the back and not the front but with a trad stern and 3 dogs, I think it is safer to get off at the front. Now that we have a boat with lower bows, life is so much easier for me!

haggis

The easiest way to get on and off if you're not tying up, is off the stern end in a bridgehole. The steerer can keep the boat into the towpath with a cabinshaft.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I find the best place for crew to get off, whether that is for looks, mooring, leisure etc is for them to get off at the stern. It's far easier to get the stern closer to the bank than the bow. And additionally the steerer can briefly lend a helping hand towards them getting off

And if you then want to set off the bow is angled out so no need to push off or reverse, just stick tiller over and you're away, in fact we rarely push the front off, push the stern instead.

I find the best place for crew to get off, whether that is for looks, mooring, leisure etc is for them to get off at the stern. It's far easier to get the stern closer to the bank than the bow. And additionally the steerer can briefly lend a helping hand towards them getting off

What? A shove a boot up the rear perhaps?laugh.png

I think we are talking a wee bit at odds here :-) yes, if we are coming in to moor, I would use the rope to lasoo a bollard and do as you suggest but if I am getting off the boat to walk dogs or work a lock then tying the boat up at the bows would mean that the skipper has to come to the front to untie it again after I get off :-) . Also, I tend to get off at bridge holes to walk dogs and there aren't bollards there. OK, I know that you should get off at the back and not the front but with a trad stern and 3 dogs, I think it is safer to get off at the front. Now that we have a boat with lower bows, life is so much easier for me!

haggis

The skipper doesn't have to come forward to untie the rope, all he has to do before you leave for your towpath walk is to reverse a tiny little bit so there'll be enough slack in the rope for you to lift the loop of the bollard and trow in on the deck and he can set off.

That rope can be sorted later when your meeting up again in a lock or at a bridgehole or anywhere else.

Peter.

Dear me, calm down for goodness sake.

Not squabbling at all. Just clarifying that a hire holiday with Le boat in the UK is different from one in France regarding the fuel cost calculation. The poster I was responding to seemed to think it would be done the same way when it isn't. As well as the post in this thread confirming how it's done in France there was a thread about it a while ago where somebody got caught out by it and was very unhappy about how much cost it added to the holiday.

To true a real rip off, something like 5lt per engine hour so thats £5 per hour to add on, maybe £20 £30 per day

And this is the classic example... I wonder if they made up afterwards? tongue.png

Nice boat, awful woman.

I met the boat last week but not the lady

Edited by ditchcrawler

Re the classy shouty woman, feel for the poor child in the front of the boat. sad.png

Now the important bit: what was the engine? smile.png

NB perhaps he likes the taste of wedding cake?

Edited by mark99

Finally caught up with last 1.5 episodes of Tim and Pru.

I'm not easily satisfied by such things, but still find myself loving there programs.

This may be because I'm captivated by Pru, although she is easily old enough to be my mum. Lovely lady, and long may she be able to carry on doing what she so obviously loves.

Tim is a bit grumpy of course - no doubt why I'm able to empathise with him as well! :lol:

I rather suspect they will not attempt a further series, but I have loved the two they have done, and Ik genuinely believe they have as well. Good on em!

• 4 months later...

New New series.

While away from Ireland, I missed all the excitement at Riversdale....Pru and Tim have been let loose on the Shannon-Erne Waterway and Erne in one of Graham's hire boats. Whole episode financed by Waterways Ireland. The really daft bits (which I won't mention here) will no doubt be edited out.