Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1898 Bantock hull - looks good value to me, could be transformed with a nice paint scheme.

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/2929web/2929abnb.php?BoatID=2929

This boat doesn't look like a Bantock to me. Its certainly a riveted "Joey" but the top strake isn't Bantock style. No mention of a BCN plate either so how have they arrived at this conclusion? It could well be a "otholer" from the fore end.

• Greenie 1

This boat doesn't look like a Bantock to me. Its certainly a riveted "Joey" but the top strake isn't Bantock style. No mention of a BCN plate either so how have they arrived at this conclusion? It could well be a "otholer" from the fore end.

The details state:

Beginning life in Birmingham in 1898 as a horse drawn Joey boat & latterly working as part of the Stewart & Lloyds fleet, Priston came to her present incarnation when in 1978 the original 70ft hull was split in 2 and the fore end 37ft of riveted wrought iron hull had a new mild steel stern end added. Later in 1985 she had a steel cabin fitted over the intact wooden original.

Plus...

Comprised of 37ft of

the wrought iron fore end of a 1898 Thomas Bantock Joey boat with mild steel counter added when shortened to her present length in 1978. Work also done at this time includes adding a steel base plate (in replacement of wooden bottom). Various overplating has been carried out by previous owner.

The details state:

Yes, but sales details for boats based on old working boats are often woefully inaccurate.

The pictures are not great, but to my eye, it does not look like any of the types of BCN day boats that are usually dubbed "Bantock".

I would be surprised if that was its origin, but I concede the photos don't show the hull shape in much detail.

However I'm not sure about Laurences 'hot holer" suggestion either, if the details are correct that this is a former composite day boat that has has wood bottoms replaced by steel. I'm happy to be corrected, but thought I had heard that 'hot holers' were generally iro bottomed, because they had to be, if you were going to dump materials into them that were still glowing hot, and didn't want to ignite the bottom of the boat (!)

The details state:

Plus...

These statements are without substance. Very few Joeys had a composite bottom, indeed the earlier Bantocks were "over composite" with a wooden lower strake and bottom and had jigged knees and also very fine bows that this boat clearly has not. No other Bantock to my knowledge was composite. Also by 1898 Bantocks were into their second common bow seen on many GWR associated boats, again not looking like this boat.

You must also remember S&L picked up boats from many sources in the last years, there were ex GUCCCo boats alongside a myriad variety of wooden and iron joeys.

• 3 weeks later...

Ex guccc thaxted. Ex Howard sue and me. Cannot believe Mark is selling. Superb rebuild. We return to the UK in May . Please buy her before we get back or I may end up with two unconverted boats in the UK, and work in Australia...

Funds won't quite stretch far enough yet cool.png

Quite an interesting boat:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=465801

but an advert strewn with inaccuracy, and nowhere near as rare as the claimed "She is only one of two of these boats still in existence and afloat.".

Midlands and Coast Canal Carriers Ltd. had four iron composite horse boats built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd., Northwich in the late 1920's, followed by a counter sterned motor in 1935. These were followed by another four iron composite horse boats in 1928 / 1929 from John Crichton and Company Ltd., Saltney. All eight of these horse boats, as well as the motor are still extant in some form, with only one of the horse boats not being afloat.

Possibly of greater interest are the four steel (composite ?) horse boats that were built in 1922 / 1923 by John Crichton and Company Ltd., Saltney for Midlands and Coast Canal Carriers Ltd.. These are described in the Wolverhampton health register as being of a new design, but do not appear to have been used for long distance work for very long, and were most likely absorbed into the day boat fleet on Noah Hingley and Sons Ltd., Netherton. One of these may well be extant as an exhibit at the Black Country Living Museum captain.gif

edit = add quote from advertisement.

Edited by pete harrison

It always intrigues me that a vendor wanting a high price gets so much information wrong, worse still doesn't pay for a half decent advert where multiple images can be shown. God knows where these people do their research.