Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

As far as I'm aware this sold a few months ago as its been moored near Burscough on the Leeds Liverpool for quite a while on an end of garden mooring.

The ad I linked to was placed on Apollo duck on the 27th of January.

Forward is surely the back of Forward, which is why the front is decorated as a stern

I have always admired Forward for that bit of honesty

Richard

Exactly Richard, Forward is the back end of Forward going forward (ie backward)

But Braunston Marina describe Forward as being the forward part when it's clearly the back going forward.

I'm glad we cleared that up, now we'll move forward.

It's going to be interesting" to be stood directly on top of an air cooled Lister HR2. ("Half past three!"......)

With that much power in only 42 feet of boat, I imagine it moves along well.

Seems incredible that a brokerage based where the largest historic boat show takes place can't work out which end of a butty they are looking at, though!

Forward is indeed Tom Chaplin's old boat. I recall lettering it at Birmingham in the summer of 2000, when there was a canal event based at the ICC. It's full of history and deserves a caring new owner.

Tom has commissioned a new boat from CTS at Norton Canes. The stern is a patterned replica of the bow of the original motor with a swim beneath. I'm there regularly and have followed progress with interest, it will be an eye catching craft when complete. Steelwork can't be far away from being finished now...it's given Andy, the boatbuilder, a few head scratching moments during construction.

Cheers

Dave

It's going to be interesting" to be stood directly on top of an air cooled Lister HR2. ("Half past three!"......)

You can appreciate the sound of it but you can't appreciate the sound of much else. Our two previous boats 'Octavia' and 'Batto' had this exposed rear engine configuration - with a Petter PH2 and a Rigas Dizelis PM24. One did get used to smiling nicely at passing boaters, as one could see their lips move but could not hear 90% of what they were saying.

Is it really a historic boat when it has been butchered to such a degree? I can't see the appeal, it's like claiming a new house made of reclaimed bricks is a 19c cottage.

The words "axe" and "grandfather" spring to mind. But, as someone said to me once at the Festiniog Railway, as the supposedly "1865" built 'Prince' steamed into view, "The idea of 'Prince' dates back that far", it had been repaired, rebuilt and had new parts through the years but a version of it had been in existence since then.

Is it really a historic boat when it has been butchered to such a degree? I can't see the appeal, it's like claiming a new house made of reclaimed bricks is a 19c cottage.

It could very well contain a lot more historic boat than many that on the face of it look a lot more original.

I can't understand the analogy to the cottage built with reclaimed bricks - this is not a boat built from reclaimed narrow boat plates, most of it is still riveted together exactly as it always has been, or at least the visible part of it - I have no idea what goes on below water, but most of them contain many new parts there anyway!

Not to my personal taste, but it does allow someone to own some history for sub £30K, and still have a practical boat with lots of facilities. To achieve that with something more true to its origins, normally means paying for in excess of 70 feet, both in terms of purchase price and ongoing running costs - something that many will not be lucky enough to be able to afford.

The biggest blunder here is suggesting it is the front end of an historic boat, when it looks nothing like one!

Forward is indeed Tom Chaplin's old boat. I recall lettering it at Birmingham in the summer of 2000, when there was a canal event based at the ICC. It's full of history and deserves a caring new owner.

Tom has commissioned a new boat from CTS at Norton Canes. The stern is a patterned replica of the bow of the original motor with a swim beneath. I'm there regularly and have followed progress with interest, it will be an eye catching craft when complete. Steelwork can't be far away from being finished now...it's given Andy, the boatbuilder, a few head scratching moments during construction.

Cheers

Dave

I've read this three times now.

Are you saying that Tom Chaplin is having a new boat built where the back end is made to look like the front end?

If so what does the front end of this new boat look like, the middle?

You also say "The stern is a patterned replica of the bow of the original motor" Which original motor would that be?

It sounds as if he's following the trend he started with Forward, but that can't be the boat whose bow has been replicated for the back end of his new boat because it wasn't a motor, it was a butty.

I'm off to find a dark room to lie down in.

Exactly Richard, Forward is the back end of Forward going forward (ie backward)

But Braunston Marina describe Forward as being the forward part when it's clearly the back going forward.

I'm glad we cleared that up, now we'll move forward.

Just to confuse the issue further there used to be/is a full length Station boat of the same name That IIRC Forward was/is going forward

My apologies for any confusion. The bows of the new build are fairly standard CTS style, although Andy went the extra mile to pull plenty of shape in. The stern is patterned on the butty stern of the original boat, although the attached photo shows things just at the start of that stage of building.

Cheers

Dave

post-3041-0-53389500-1454947318_thumb.jpeg

post-3041-0-43317600-1454947457_thumb.jpeg

post-3041-0-78472000-1454947522_thumb.jpeg

Mabel and Forget-Me-Not.

(Posted before I think, but some time ago).

454720_1.jpg

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=454720

I remember encountering these on the Llangollen in what I think was their last year as hotel boats. A little different now!

What a terrible sight, I remember these working as hotel boats. Not worth much now and certainly nowhere near the asking price, hope they find a proper buyer with resources otherwise its more history to the bonfire.

What a terrible sight, I remember these working as hotel boats. Not worth much now and certainly nowhere near the asking price, hope they find a proper buyer with resources otherwise its more history to the bonfire.

They have been exactly like that for several years now. Neither is afloat

Richard

Can I make a polite request please?

I'm always interested when an historic boat comes up for sale but this topic appears to have gone off-topic and at 148 pages. Would anyone object to restarting the topic?

Have a lovely day all!

How is it off topic? It is still talking about historic boats that are for sale...

Can I make a polite request please?

I'm always interested when an historic boat comes up for sale but this topic appears to have gone off-topic and at 148 pages. Would anyone object to restarting the topic?

Have a lovely day all!

I think that Mabel and Forget-me-Not are indeed historic boats for sale.

Perhaps your dream boat will appear for sale on page 149. Keep watching this space.