Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Typical view of someone who uses their boat primarily as a house rather than a boat.

Having the engine in an engine room 10ft forward of the steering position instead of almost under your feet makes for a FAR quieter and better boating experience, hence my comment about the engine being in the wrong place.

Well worth paying the licence fee for eight feet of 'wasted' space, in my experience, too!

I agree that the noise is an issue but back cabins are hideously ugly as well as being a waste of space.

That's strange....I've only ever received positive comment about the cabin on our boat, including some from ex working boaters who used to live in one. It's obvious, these days, that the traditional mindset that led me to boating and still influences my work today is little understood or appreciated by many modern waterway users, a viewpoint shared by a good few old timers, few of whom engage on here.

Dave

• Greenie 1

That's strange....I've only ever received positive comment about the cabin on our boat, including some from ex working boaters who used to live in one. It's obvious, these days, that the traditional mindset that led me to boating and still influences my work today is little understood or appreciated by many modern waterway users, a viewpoint shared by a good few old timers, few of whom engage on here.

Dave

I can admire the workmanship that goes in to them, it just isn't to my taste.

Dave

I fully agree, a narrow boat without a back cabin has no character, including the late 'Severners' in my opinion. I lived in a back cabin for 6 years and I still claim those were the most comfortable of my life - a place for everything and everything in its place as well as being lovely and warm (well blooming roasting actually) captain.gif

• Greenie 1

I fully agree, a narrow boat without a back cabin has no character, including the late 'Severners' in my opinion. I lived in a back cabin for 6 years and I still claim those were the most comfortable of my life - a place for everything and everything in its place as well as being lovely and warm (well blooming roasting actually) captain.gif

I do like the innovative use of space, it's just the ugly wood and decoration.. I'd like to see a more modern take on a back cabin, i might like that.

• Greenie 1

I do like the innovative use of space, it's just the ugly wood and decoration.. I'd like to see a more modern take on a back cabin, i might like that.

When in Cropredy, do come and see ours! It's at the back but not at all trad.

The "tree"s did have a back cabin, only forward of the engine room. Laid out the standard way, only with 6' headroom and more storage as the swims didn't intrude into the space.

I'm looking forwards to putting Willow's back in; cosy crossbed, with a roof hatch you can open to lie directly under the stars.

The "tree"s did have a back cabin, only forward of the engine room. Laid out the standard way, only with 6' headroom and more storage as the swims didn't intrude into the space.

Yes, I am aware of how these boats and their cabins were constructed captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Am I sounding / being imperious again ?

Slightly, and justifiably so given your remarkable body of research, in my opinion.

I quite like it when you straighten posts out with some facts from your meticulous and expansive records!

(Imperiously is better in my opinion!)

(Imperiously is better in my opinion!)

I think you are right. My only excuse for poor spelling and grammar being a 1970's comprehensive school education.

Having said that I missed quite a lot of it as I was often away on a boat somewhere captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

I think you are right. My only excuse being a 1970's comprehensive school education.

Having said that I missed quite a lot of it as I was often away on a boat somewhere captain.gif

Tell you what, we will buy you a crown, then you can be as imperious as you like

Richard

What's ugly about a back cabin? I agree a sanitised bought cabin full of standard lights and fittings as a must have on a modern boat can be sterile but a proper one is a reflection of the individuals who own the boat and evolves over time, as items are bought paintings done plates are gifted etc. as to modern take one of our boats had an extended cabin from the front beam on wardrobe , heated airing cupboard, secure storage space and cabinets. Table cupboard wired as office. Spare bedroom, storage office and anti argument therapy all in one....course being a butty helped.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it is jolly nice.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=453197

Yes sadly that was the pride and joy of former forum member the late Tim Leech.

His wealth of knowledge of every aspect of working on historic boats and engines is probably the single thing on here I miss most.