Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

That's not a star, it's a compass. The boat is called "The North"

As the HNBC webpage shows, it was also known as 'Lion' for many years - it was owned by former working boater John Saxon. It was based in the Coventry area and quite well known in the '80's. If I read it correctly, the sale advert suggests it might be the Saxon family who are selling the boat.

Edited by John Brightley

As the HNBC webpage shows, it was also known as 'Lion' for many years - it was owned by former working boater John Saxon. It was based in the Coventry area and quite well known in the '80's. If I read it correctly, the sale advert suggests it might be the Saxon family who are selling the boat.

Just spoken to Mike H and he tells me John Saxon sold Lion to John Blunn who may have it for sale?

Any excuse for a piccy, Mike & John.

Edited by Ray T

See post #2342 in this thread - it was formerly called HOTHOLER. Been for sale since at least last September. Conversion originally by Malcolm Braine so the basics should be of good quality.

Edited by John Brightley

See post #2342 in this thread - it was formerly called HOTHOLER. Been for sale since at least last September. Conversion originally by Malcolm Braine so the basics should be of good quality.

I believe this is the boat that was a floating art gallery/picture framers in "Here at the Weekend".

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love inspection launches. I have a great love of wooden boats as part of the history of canals

And I have a choice of engines to go into it

Thank goodness I haven't got any money to buy it

Richard

MORE: Is it what the advert says it is - a Southern Oxford inspection launch?

Edited by RLWP

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love inspection launches. I have a great love of wooden boats as part of the history of canals

And I have a choice of engines to go into it

Thank goodness I haven't got any money to buy it

Richard

It does rather look more suited to the river. .... but it's starting at only 99p, and the advert says any offer from an enthusiast will be considered wink.png

LCx

It also mentions that the hull has been completely lined with fibreglass, "necessitating careful treatment of outer surface (largely complete but requiring final attention before entering water" ?

Edited by Lady Cassandra

I think the wording is along the lines of "believed to be..." which may, of course, equate to "we wish that it had been,..."

I think the wording is along the lines of "believed to be..." which may, of course, equate to "we wish that it had been,..."

Yes, I suspect that is the truth

I'm surprised by the square transom, it looks very awkward

Richard

Remembering Carlt's advice, this may be the kiss of death

Richards

I think that may depend on the type of construction. A friend of mine fiberglassed a double diagonal mahogany on oak ex RN admirals barge back in the late 70s. It's still going strong and has been virtually maintenance free.

Incidentally, it is powered by a beautiful pair of 6 cylinder Garners.

Salter's used to run a fleet of holiday hire boats from Oxford with one also suitable for the Oxford Canal. I think this is it.

Paul

That would make more sense, I think

Richard

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58-narrow-boat-Warspite-liveaboard-canal-boat-narrowboat-/182040264210?hash=item2a6271fe12:g:Uy8AAOSwUuFW1Zp0

Warspite is for sale, not quite what is usually found on this thread but for those who remember them it was one of the Royal Navy's foray into canal boats, Warspite was the nuclear submarine of the trio.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58-narrow-boat-Warspite-liveaboard-canal-boat-narrowboat-/182040264210?hash=item2a6271fe12:g:Uy8AAOSwUuFW1Zp0

Warspite is for sale, not quite what is usually found on this thread but for those who remember them it was one of the Royal Navy's foray into canal boats, Warspite was the nuclear submarine of the trio.

$_57.JPG

RN%20Fleet.JPG

You'll notice Warspite still carries the handrail and bulbous bow from when she was a submarine

I have been in her engine bay, it still shows it's RN origins there too. It is massively over specified! There are two complete raw water intake systems, including two water pumps, with a changeover valve.

Richard

It's not often that "massively over-specified" and "BMC 1.5" refer to the same boat. I would have expected twin Gardners at the very least.

I did say massively, not idiotically

Richard

RN%20Fleet.JPG

You'll notice Warspite still carries the handrail and bulbous bow from when she was a submarine

I have been in her engine bay, it still shows it's RN origins there too. It is massively over specified! There are two complete raw water intake systems, including two water pumps, with a changeover valve.

Richard

I can't imagine some of those fitting under Nell Bridge!

I did say massively, not idiotically

Richard

"Gardner" and "idiotically" are not often mentioned together either, except perhaps when referring to the prices which their owners paid for them.