Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I think a probable difference is that it you buy a recently built second-hand boat from one of the more prestige builders like (say) Norton Canes, R W Davies or (grudging cough!) Steve Hudson, you know that no part (except possibly the engine!) is older than the build date.

With the best will in the world, if you buy a conversion of an 80 year old working boat, some bits may be as new as in the modern boats listed above, but hopefully much of the visible bits will be 80 years old. At one end of the spectrum, some of the 80 year old bits will be almost as good as new, whereas at the other end they may have still been serviceable when last checked say 6 years ago, but it was anticipated that further work would be needed before long.

In my (admittedly relatively limited) experience, however any such boat is actually marketed, most new owners will not be unsurprised if before long they are spending further money on a genuine historic, that they almost certainly would not be on an NC, RWD or SMH, (unless rivets needed gluing back on. of course).

In our search for a full length converted historic, one of the best known surveyors suggested to be that unless a boat was truly exceptional, or particularly sought after because of an individual history, it is very very unlikely to be saleable at anything more than £70K tops, and usually the top price will be less than that. This was a bit of a reality check, because for most of is it means if we do manage to secure a boat needing work at say the £50K mark. if that work exceeds (say) £25K, we can more or less guarantee we are not going to ever get back what we spend.

There are several nice looking full length converted boats on the open market right now, (although they contain different amounts of original boat) at asking prices above £65K, and all seem slow to find a buyer. At least one has been on so long that one imagines if it is to be sold the owner will need to take a significantly lower offer.

I think most owners of historics know and accept this. Unlike former work colleagues I don't take frequent and highly expensive holidays abroad,

(Ashes tours and safaris spring to mind), but I do spend a great deal owning two historic boats. That said I don't think my former colleagues understand why I find a week on the BCN a more exciting prospect than what they do.

(Apologies for any typos, literally just back from shoulder surgery, andone arm currently completely out of use!.......)

Have a greeno for your comprehensive and informative post. Yes, sorry to write "Hudson", of course I meant to write R.W. Davis.

I could fancy an "Ashes tour" but, as a Northerner, I contented myself with three days watching the Australian team beat Derbyshire in Derby last year.

Get well soon!

I recently had a look at this old Regents canal barge with a view to conversion to a houseboat. Its build like a brick outhouse and the top is very well constructed if a bit agricultural but unfortunatetly it only has about 5ft headroom in there.

Interesting historic boat http://m.boatshop24.co.uk/houseboat/marine-projects-regents-canal-barge/104087?redirm=1

Unfortunately the cabin top is so well executed internally that it would be a real ball-ache to raise it by 2ft which is clearly what needs doing..

Compared with what one might have to pay for a modern boat of similar size with a high specification and a nice traditional engine, this is surely a competitive price, is it not?

I've absolutely no knowledge than I happen to clock the price of narrowboats and most of these type seem to be marketed at 50 - 60k.

It's a very small market I guess when you sell something with such a high premium. I su'spose you are hoping a sleeper type very rich man is just waiting to pounce on your lovingly restored historic. And there can't be many of those "money is no barrier" types around.

Edited by mark99

I recently had a look at this old Regents canal barge with a view to conversion to a houseboat. Its build like a brick outhouse and the top is very well constructed if a bit agricultural but unfortunatetly it only has about 5ft headroom in there.

Interesting historic boat http://m.boatshop24.co.uk/houseboat/marine-projects-regents-canal-barge/104087?redirm=1

Unfortunately the cabin top is so well executed internally that it would be a real ball-ache to raise it by 2ft which is clearly what needs doing..

To be honest, I would be wary of describing ANY ex working boat as that.

Every ton of steel or iron in the construction is one ton less cargo it could carry on the same draught. They may look the part but steel thicknesses of 8mm and above in such boats is the stuff of dreams.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 2

Every ton of steel or iron in the construction is one ton less cargo it could carry on the same draught. They may look the part but steel thicknesses of 8mm and above in such boats is the stuff of dreams.

That is an excellent post. On top of that, these boats have been wearing away through contact with the infrastructure and busily corroding away for eighty years

Richard

I su'spose you are hoping a sleeper type very rich man is just waiting to pounce on your lovingly restored historic. And there can't be many of those "money is no barrier" types around.

That made me think of that picture you once posted of you 'Kew-like' gardens Mark ;-)

Fair point - you assume that I am talking simply about plating thickness.

Anyway I didn't put an ultrasonic tester on it so I don't know how thick it was.

All the wonderful internal fit-out with granite tops and maple flooring turns me off completely. I would want to know, and be able to access behind and beneath. A lot of money gets spent on fitting out, but keeping it simple and removable for access would almost increase the attractiveness to me. Boats looking like the latest showhouse within are a turn-off.

But each to their own.

• Greenie 1

All the wonderful internal fit-out with granite tops and maple flooring turns me off completely. I would want to know, and be able to access behind and beneath. A lot of money gets spent on fitting out, but keeping it simple and removable for access would almost increase the attractiveness to me. Boats looking like the latest showhouse within are a turn-off.

But each to their own.

I agree - laminated wooden worktops and carpet-tile floor covering (removable for washing) for us. But there's obviously a market for that sophisticated level of fit-out, otherwise the builders wouldn't keep installing them.

• Greenie 1

Unless it's been rebottomed and refooted in, say, 10mm :) I'm not worried about grinding over stuff! Edited by FadeToScarlet

Eqquis (sp?), which as featured in this thread multiple times, must have finally sold. Recently as it was on brokerage at Iver, but I've just spotted it in Market Drayton.

20160505_135347_zps6imfnus1.jpg

I first saw this boat at King's Cross in London a few years ago and admired it's lines then. I believe the sales bumph said something along the lines that it was thought to be the oldest metal hull in existence.

Edited by junior

Eqquis (sp?), which as featured in this thread multiple times, must have finally sold. Recently as it was on brokerage at Iver, but I've just spotted it in Market Drayton.

20160505_135347_zps6imfnus1.jpg

I first saw this boat at King's Cross in London a few years ago and admired it's lines then.

We met the new owners of Equus when it worked down Marsworth locks several weeks ago.

I think they said its ultimate destination was the Leeds and Liverpool, so if it is only at Market Drayton now, they are in no rush with their trip.

It sounds nice, as well as having the attractive lines.

They say it passed a survey with very little found wanting, so I really don't understand why it took quite so long to find a buyer.

We met the new owners of Equus when it worked down Marsworth locks several weeks ago.

I think they said its ultimate destination was the Leeds and Liverpool, so if it is only at Market Drayton now, they are in no rush with their trip.

It sounds nice, as well as having the attractive lines.

They say it passed a survey with very little found wanting, so I really don't understand why it took quite so long to find a buyer.

Very plain inside, as I recall - what you might call a single man's boat.

Very plain inside, as I recall - what you might call a single man's boat.

I was just about to reply to Alan that I suspect the reason it took a long time to sell was because the interior was pretty gross irc. Then I saw your similar but slightly more polite post.

Went past Beaulieu the other day. It looked a solid tidy vessel but nothing outwardly to suggest that asking price. I wonder what they'll end up selling for, if they sell at all b

Went past Beaulieu the other day. It looked a solid tidy vessel but nothing outwardly to suggest that asking price. I wonder what they'll end up selling for, if they sell at all b

About 70-75k max I'd say.

About 70-75k max I'd say.

I thought it was suggested that Equus was a bit wide. If she has reached Market Drayton then can't be too bad. If it were mine I would be tempted to try Hurleston if they are passing anyway.

It's a nice boat !

I thought it was suggested that Equus was a bit wide. If she has reached Market Drayton then can't be too bad. If it were mine I would be tempted to try Hurleston if they are passing anyway.

I'm not sure there are many tight narrow locks between London and Market Drayton are there?

However, as you say, Hurleston would settle the matter!

I don't know how wide you can get away with on that trip. I suppose if they are heading for the Leeds Liverpool they nay bit be too concerned about it!

If it did fail to go through Hurleston that could potentially reduce the resale value not that there is much to be seen up thr welsh branch anyway :lol:

Edited to add...

Also just saw this in Market Drayton. Called Pumpkin and it has a for sale sign on it with a price of £25k.

20160505_135946_zps47zagitx.jpg

What is the origin of this boat? There is one of a similar construction moored at Redhill Marina name is unknown.

Is it a "river"- from the shape of the fore end, and the little metal tabs where the cants would normally be?

No it is not a 'river', the giveaway being that PUMPKIN is riveted.

PUMPKIN was formally a Thames Conservancy maintenance boat, named A89 and reputedly built by the Steel Barrel Company, Uxbridge in 1923.

PUMPKIN featured in a News report in September 2013 when it was rescued by the R.N.L.I. Hunstanton Lifeboat whilst adrift in the Wash, and was subsequently tows into the river Witham by the Boston Pilot Launch. You can't beat a bit of history, even if it is a bit iffy captain.gif