Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I'm reminded of a Wapping High Street warehouse conversion. Got about as much character as a dentists waiting room.

But then I'd live in a shed, so what do I know . . . If I had that sort of money being asked, I'd have SATELLITE, and pocket the change.

That was my feeling from going to look at it - it felt exactly like the ex-council houses all my colleagues are buying and doing up with Ikea. It just felt like someone who wanted a modern house but happened to be living in an old boat.

I think the owners of Beaulieu are hoping to get enough money to put down a deposit on a house, so it's possible that they gave up on selling the boat for that price but have now found a house they like and so are readvertising it. They were nice people and I wish them luck in selling. They invited us along to the survey, which was for insurance purposes, rather than selling ones.

I am moored near a nice chap, Stuart?, he used to own Poyle. Spent loads on it and sold it to a guy who let it go a little. Apparently Poyle is now sunk near Aylesbury.

It would be good to pass on any info to him.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

I am moored near a nice chap, Stuart?, he used to own Poyle. Spent loads on it and sold it to a guy who let it go a little. Apparently Poyle is now sunk near Aylesbury.

It would be good to pass on any info to him.

Martyn

This chap had POYLE for sale less than eighteen months ago after 27 years of ownership, and by his own admission it was 'in urgent need of replacement caulking of the bottoms planks' - so not entirely surprising if it is now sunk captain.gif

Thanks Pete. So the chap who I have been chatting to is the one that owned it for as you say 27 years. Is he the one that has let it go? Or the chap he sold it too. I have to be honest, I don't know how long it is since he owned it.

Martyn

Thanks Pete. So the chap who I have been chatting to is the one that owned it for as you say 27 years. Is he the one that has let it go? Or the chap he sold it too. I have to be honest, I don't know how long it is since he owned it.

Martyn

Well the chap who owned it for 27 years sold it instead of sorting out the bottoms, so I would say it was him that let it go rather than the person who bought it from him. My records indicate that POYLE was sold in October 2014 following 27 years of ownership.

This is only my opinion, and as I know neither party I am being speculative based upon the words of an advert captain.gif

Stuart has said that the caulking needed replacing, so must be he who owned it all those years ago. He said he had done loads of work on it in the engine room, replacing boards that had rotted. Unlike the rest of the base it wasn't coated in tar from the carrying days, when the butty was motorised.

Getting older and reduced income forced him to sell. He seems fairly sad about it.

To my (untrained) eye, the bow is reminiscent of a B.C.N. day boat. Did Bantock build some of those?

Yes Bantock built boats are generally what would be classed as a BCN Day Boat. Many were owned by the GWR.

However originally by far the largest share of such BCN boats were those of a much less shaped variety, often with just "axe shaped" ends, and open double ended so the rudder could be moved from one end to the other.

Although much more shaped single end boats, like this example here, did also once exist in great numbers, they were actually at the "classier" end of the spectrum I would say.

Obviously making a more attractive conversion than the much less shaped boats, their survival record as been relatively much better, and it now seems quite unusual to see what I would say was the more bread and butter less shapely type. The latter type also existed in vast numbers wood built, but now sound examples of the latter are a very rare beast indeed, (unfortunately).

Yes, I was probably thinking of the more shapely type. The last time I saw B.C.N. day boats in numbers was when Rothen's still had their coal yard at Atherstone. Alas, that has now closed, though he does keep some boats out in the country.

The back does seem like the ideal place for an engine room. Back cabins don't appeal to me anyway so may as well get rid and gain some useful space upfront

Typical view of someone who uses their boat primarily as a house rather than a boat.

Having the engine in an engine room 10ft forward of the steering position instead of almost under your feet makes for a FAR quieter and better boating experience, hence my comment about the engine being in the wrong place.

Well worth paying the licence fee for eight feet of 'wasted' space, in my experience, too!