Water point speed

DaveP

Featured Posts

Having added a flow meter to my inlet, I thought (if  mistakingly, please say so!) that water point flows  might be of interest here.

So,

Mile End, Regents Canal - 25 litres/min

IMG_20240301_134235.jpg

Edited by DaveP
Add photo of flow lashup
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Having added a flow meter to my inlet, I thought (if  mistakingly, please say so!) that water point flows  might be of interest here.

So,

How have I managed to boat for 60 years without knowing that ?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DaveP said:

So,

It is interesting and potentially useful if a flow is terrible. CRT could possibly do something. 

There are ones slow fillers around. The one at the top of Knowle locks is rather slow especially when a car parks their car, tyres on the hose to chat and express concern at the slow fill speed ... 

Might be a bit of fun.

I've often wondered what the slowest WP on the system would be.

😃

Lapworth services would be a strong contender in my book.

I'm told that filling up while someone is taking a shower can be, ahem, 'interesting' when the showerer dashes out to complain!

Edited by Victor Vectis

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Might be a bit of fun.

😃

I'm told that filling up while someone is taking a shower can be, ahem, 'interesting' when the showerer dashes out to complain!

Top of Farmers Bridge is like that

4 hours ago, DaveP said:

So,

IMG_20240301_134235.jpg

Let us know whether Stonebridge even registers enough flow to measure!

More might be relevant in some places though, e.g. if multiple taps, was there another boat filling at the same time? We were going to fill at Ellesmere recently but with two boats already trying to, it felt mean and a bit pointless to slow them down even more by joining in.

31 minutes ago, Adam said:

I think that's brilliant!

Have you heard of the Dull Men's Club on Faceache? They would appreciate this!

Pushing your luck admitting you do FB on here 🙈

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Pushing your luck admitting you do FB on here 🙈

Is it a banned app?

How about tinder, Grindr, park for night and Duolingo?

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

Have you checked the range of your flowmeter? They are not all ranging.

Specification quote 1-30 lit/min.  Wifi already tested and working from middle of boat.  Temperature max is 80degC.

2 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

Let us know whether Stonebridge even registers enough flow to measure!

It used to take me 2 evenings to fill my tank there.....nobody else used to moor there then so it didnt matter. Didnt ever dare take a shower in there though!!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Dobson Lock services on the L&L.  Worst ever!

We once interrupted a mate "filling" his water tank to get enough to fill a kettle.  Which took two minutes for a litre and a half ... he stopped bothering with his hosepipe, we didn't bother trying ours and we moved on.

Talking to the CRT bloke we saw there, he laughed and agreed.  The maintenance yard are under strict instructions not to fill their kettle or wash their hands if someone is trying to use the shower!

Apparently Yorkshire Water were complained at years ago, and to meet their own delivery targets (pressure at meter, not flow rate) they reduced the diameter of the supply pipes. 

Good water pressure, job done ... I haven't ever tried that shower.

16 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Hebden Bridge, just remembered,

slowest of the slowest taps, or was,

maybe they’ve improved it,

someone with a weak bladder could pee faster,

Should be in the Guiness Book of Records.

Presumably one would need to take into account the bore and length of the hose. 

I wonder if using black builders buckets (or any other buckets not specifically marketed at a defined racial group) might be quicker on a fast tap. Fill one, transfer to the road cone funnel into water tank while filling next bucket &c. Also good exercise.  

A bucket with a high rate bilge pump in it is another obvious way of getting around hose bore issues. 

19 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Might be a bit of fun.

😃

Don’t know about the shower thing, but I would not have said that Lapworth is that bad, Cambrian Wharf is a slow one and slower than Lapworth, which is mad given where it is you would think it would have a very good flow.

Off the top of my head I would say that Lower Hayford has to be a contender for slowest.

17 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Hebden Bridge, just remembered,

slowest of the slowest taps, or was,

maybe they’ve improved it,

someone with a weak bladder could pee faster,

That is indeed the slowest I've ever found.  Knowing this, I once risked going off shopping while filling.  It took another half hour after I returned from the town centre.

4 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

That is indeed the slowest I've ever found.  Knowing this, I once risked going off shopping while filling.  It took another half hour after I returned from the town centre.

The one at the top of Atherstone is not that fast, the slowest one I ever came across was at the Barley Mow, Newbould, but I think that has been sorted and moved slightly, it use to be closer to the bridge.

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

I wonder if using black builders buckets (or any other buckets not specifically marketed at a defined racial group) might be quicker on a fast tap. Fill one, transfer to the road cone funnel into water tank while filling next bucket &c. Also good exercise.  

I would have thought an inline pump in your hose, powered from the boat, would be more effective at overcoming the flow resistance of the hose and sucking water faster out of the mains.

The two taps at Gnosall have very different speeds. One being very slow. I can never remember which is which. At the other end of the scale, the water point below Three Locks, GU, capable of launching the hose out of the filler neck or drilling a hole in the bottom of the water tank.

MP.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

The two taps at Gnosall have very different speeds. One being very slow. I can never remember which is which. At the other end of the scale, the water point below Three Locks, GU, capable of launching the hose out of the filler neck or drilling a hole in the bottom of the water tank.

MP.

In about 1996 I split a seam on the polyprop tank on my narrow boat. Cookham lock. They used to have Chubb fire hoses on reels for the supply. Great idea. High volume. 

I was having a cup of tea with the lock keeper in the house and completely forgot about the water situation. Nobody else about as it was early spring. So the discharge from the hose was more than the gap around it and the vent combined. 

Result was quite a lot of water in the wrong places.

Someone else I spoke to had broken a stainless steel tank at the same supply point. 

Water supply systems have since been altered on the River. 

It was cool to be able to load water fast but one needed to be on the ball. 

I miss the fire hoses in a way. It was a great way to reduce the potential for queueueing at water supply points. 

Ironically back in those days there were far fewer Boats with large water tanks so the problem which was presumably trying to be solved did not exist.