Llangollen. Seen it all now!

johnmck

Featured Posts

This morning we finally moored up in Llangollen basin. All quite civilised and quiet. In early afternoon, a boat moored up in one of the corner slots, moved out, so as you do, we began relocating to that spot.

As we were doing this, something blue went past the entrance and upstream towards Horshoe falls. I assumed it was a kyak or similar, but no, it was some form of aqua car! The chap exiting the marina shouted to them, no powered boats, but on they went. By the time we had moored up, they were out of sight.

Later in the afternoon, we went for a walk towards the falls and saw this...

IMG-20230812-WA0013 (3).jpg

IMG-20230812-WA0014.jpg

• Haha 2

Having spent 13 hrs between ellesmere and whitchurch yesterday and today that is the only means of accessing the canal.

No paint i suspect on bottom of boat anymore.

We didnt stop in 2 bridges.

6 tow outs ( one after 90 mins taken to move 12 inches. What was worse it was was on the way back in a bridge we didnt stick on the way up

Fitness tracker stated body battery 0.

Beer consumption abnormal

16 hours ago, johnmck said:

This morning we finally moored up in Llangollen basin. All quite civilised and quiet. In early afternoon, a boat moored up in one of the corner slots, moved out, so as you do, we began relocating to that spot.

As we were doing this, something blue went past the entrance and upstream towards Horshoe falls. I assumed it was a kyak or similar, but no, it was some form of aqua car! The chap exiting the marina shouted to them, no powered boats, but on they went. By the time we had moored up, they were out of sight.

IMG-20230812-WA0014.jpg

That really is taking the p…. It’s very obvious that you are not allowed on that section.

Did he get stuck there, or has he just moved to the side to allow the horse drawn boat to pass?

16 hours ago, MtB said:

A car with three axles!! 

ISTR there was Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce, and an F1 back in the 70s with three axles, and that was about it. 

Any others?

I was looking on a second hand 'classic' car site a couple of weeks ago and saw a triple axle early model range rover. The lengthening had involved adding in the rear axle plus all the bodywork above, doors, seats etc.

I'll look to see if the ad is still there.

4 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I was looking on a second hand 'classic' car site a couple of weeks ago and saw a triple axle early model range rover. The lengthening had involved adding in the rear axle plus all the bodywork above, doors, seats etc.

I'll look to see if the ad is still there.

There were various triple axle Land Rovers and Range Rovers made, for things like airport fire trucks 

3 minutes ago, ssnowman said:

That really is taking the p…. It’s very obvious that you are not allowed on that section.

Disregarding the type of 'boat', by what authority is one not allowed to boat that section? On my first visit to Llangollen years ago I was disappointed to find that our hire boat went firmly aground on a gravel bar just above the basin at Llangollen. The bar had obviously been installed to prevent passage by other than very shallow draught boats, and looked like a protectionist measure to ensure the revenue of the trip boat!

Some years ago the modern replica butty Phoebe was taken all the way up to the valve house at Horseshoe Falls - photos appeared in one of the canal mags at the time.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

There were various triple axle Land Rovers and Range Rovers made, for things like airport fire trucks 

Found the ad

https://www.lesanciennes.com/annonces/recherche?ftype=vo&q=Rover&page=7

The site has some amazing cars on it. This rover section has some beautiful P4 and P5 cars.

• Greenie 1

I would love to know just where this thing entered the water?

The chap who warned him the section he was entering was prohibited from powered craft and was shallow, was greeted by "It's a car, we have wheels". The prop on his outboard certainly did some weed cutting!

• Haha 1

Gibbs marine in Shepperton had a triple axle Rangie parked in their car park when I went to Halliford school opposite. I think it was ex airport. 

There was an interesting triple axle motor car made by Briggs and Stratton. Briggs and Stratton hybrid

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/1980s-briggs-stratton-hybrid-is-30-mpg-six-wheeler/

IMG_20230813_113259.jpg.feeeaed1ae0d5d3fdf1258a91de1a4ad.jpg

Extra axle because of the lead acid batteries..

On 12/08/2023 at 18:24, johnmck said:

IMG-20230812-WA0014.jpg

Obviously it is a CRT prototype being tested, as it is compatible with a much reduced dredging programme necessitated by the governments funding cuts... :)

On 12/08/2023 at 18:24, johnmck said:

IMG-20230812-WA0014.jpg

I wouldn’t mind sharing a lock with him - the build papers on my boat have it as weighing 22 tons, so another fender is always useful 

3 hours ago, StephenA said:

How many bets it doesn't have a BSS, Licence or insurance.... 

Does it need them? Oddities like this can slip through the requirements because no-one envisaged them when writing the rules. It may fit the CRT definition of 'portable', because the crew can get it into and off the water without assistance. It may only need a short-term visitor licence.