Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Trace

Televisions

Featured Posts

(It’s been nearly an hour and no one has remarked on the apostrophe.
Is Athy asleep?)

 

 I think the TV has to have a 12v option. 
dunno

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Refering to the subject of televisions, perhaps?

I inherited a smart TV, so far, it has done absolutely nothing.

 

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We have a telly that is both 12v and 240v. We have created a choice.

Decisions, decisions, you have created a perfect storm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have a Tv which is 12v and 240v

 

plus an iPad upon which I watch iplayer

 

I have created a further choice 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I too have a Tv which is 12v and 240v

 

plus an iPad upon which I watch iplayer

 

I have created a further choice 

 

 

I have two tablets and two mifi's ..... Not sure if that creates choice or chaos, they both seem to be imperfect. My phone also has some irregular imput

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on here offered an opinion that better decoders were fitted to 240 volt tv so I took them at their word and bought a 240 Volt LG TV. With an omnimax aerial attached to a signal booster it has never failed to find 100+ tv stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have two tablets and two mifi's ..... Not sure if that creates choice or chaos, they both seem to be imperfect. My phone also has some irregular imput

You win. 
 

Just a shame there’s never owt on TV to make the hassle worth while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Someone on here offered an opinion that better decoders were fitted to 240 volt tv so I took them at their word and bought a 240 Volt LG TV. With an omnimax aerial attached to a signal booster it has never failed to find 100+ tv stations.

You might find that the power adapter provides the TV with 19V DC. At least that's what I found with a 24" LG I owned for a while. Also saw a lot of bigger Sony TVs, (up to 40" or so), an adapter to convert 240V AC to 19V DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have two tablets 

I took 3 today. One was a vitamin D tablet and the other two were echinaecia. Stops colds you know! Don't tell Donald.

 

43 minutes ago, LadyG said:

............ also has some irregular imput

.......better than irregular output!😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many mains TVs are really 12v ones and include an adaptor box to work off mains. Our Bush is like that. Its not

too easy to find out which models are like this, I went into Argos and they were very good, opened a few boxes to discover if they worked on 12v, it doesn't say on the outside of the box.

Then you can get a 12v stabilised adaptor to run it safely off the batteries when the alternator is pumping out 14 + volts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Many mains TVs are really 12v ones and include an adaptor box to work off mains. Our Bush is like that. Its not

too easy to find out which models are like this, I went into Argos and they were very good, opened a few boxes to discover if they worked on 12v, it doesn't say on the outside of the box.

Then you can get a 12v stabilised adaptor to run it safely off the batteries when the alternator is pumping out 14 + volts.

If you go into John Lewis, you can see the back of most of the TVs they sell. You can quickly see whether the input cable is DC or AC then, if it's DC, you can get a bit closer and see the voltage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

If you go into John Lewis, you can see the back of most of the TVs they sell. You can quickly see whether the input cable is DC or AC then, if it's DC, you can get a bit closer and see the voltage.

It doesn’t actually matter that much what the D.C. voltage is. You can get 12V adaptors that supply all sorts of voltages. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

You can always not bother with replacing the Gogglebox and go and do something less boring instead.

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It doesn’t actually matter that much what the D.C. voltage is. You can get 12V adaptors that supply all sorts of voltages. 

Even 220v 😱

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Welcome to the forum. Do you have 240V pure sine wave available on board?

You don't necessarily need a pure sine wave inverter. Mine is semi-sine wave and the TV works fine.

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blackrose said:

You don't necessarily need a pure sine wave inverter. Mine is semi-sine wave and the TV works fine.

But some hum, its a bit late when you have bought it to find the set up doesnt work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

But some hum, its a bit late when you have bought it to find the set up doesnt work

This is why I said pure sine wave. I get hum over the speakers when I run things from the cheapo emergency backup inverter the couple of times when the posh Victron throws a tantrum. There are higher frequency harmonics in the modified sine wave that can get through to the speakers sometimes.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There are higher frequency harmonics in the modified sine wave that can get through to the speakers sometimes.

Yep. If you draw a sine wave then add the second harmonic over the top, then the third, and keep going... you get a square wave :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yep. If you draw a sine wave then add the second harmonic over the top, then the third, and keep going... you get a square wave :)

Indeed, you can get any periodic waveform you like (eg square) by adding harmonics at the right amplitudes.  Fourier series/transform theory, which I have not quite forgotten.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to get this back on track - Avtex would be my go to as good picture and sound and they also cope well with knocks and falling over if bumped in locks etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.