Shiny boat stigma

Ben69

Featured Posts

Being full length with a shiny cabin but not shiny hull, we often found boaters coming the other way looking anywhere but at us as if we didn't even exist.

That is how boats should be in my opinion.

One of the few things that irritates me on the cut is people who are desperate to protect the paintwork on their hull, which is glossed down to the rubbing strip in the same colour as the cabin side. It can't be done with normal boating and display of such angst is a good indicator of marina parkers who only take their boat out for a couple of weeks per year.

Shiny cabin yes - shiny hull no!

I am a shiny boating man
Peaked cap and captain's stripe
Don't touch my paint, don't moor too close
Or dirt I'll have to wipe

Descending locks with fenders down
Not sharing when requested
Wasting water ? Bah, humbug
Patience sorely tested.

Slow down past me, tickover speed
Don't care how long it takes
Don't share my ring, leave a big gap
You'll have to use your stakes

Water points and lock landings
Are just for me to moor
C&RT Regulations
Are for the unwashed poor

I used to have a shiny boat
‘til Tim and Pru came cruisin'
Now the dents and scrapes and dings
Seem like I’ve been boozin'

• Greenie 1

I have no issue with any sort of boat as such, but at times have run into issues where shiny boats do like expect normal canal contact to take place, and while each to their own, I do struggle with people who feel the rubbing strakes must also remain shiny. Certainly if they prevents be sharing a lock with them.

Daniel

The only time I could be accused of having shiny rubbing strakes was the first 24 hours after the boat was blacked (and painted with black gloss above the top strake)

the only time after that that my strakes look anything like shiny is when I've scraped them down to bare metal

I'm struggling to read that, we need a clip of someone reading it, I can't get the rhythm right..

Casp'

Seems to fit "I'm a Neanderthal man",a song by whoever"ETA a band called "Hotlegs"

CT

I'm struggling to read that, we need a clip of someone reading it, I can't get the rhythm right..

Casp'

t

Edited by cereal tiller

When we had a mooring on the Eastern K&A (the posh end) a fellow moorer remarked "your boat would look ok if you tidied up the paintwork".

Going into the Barge at HoneyStreet (approaching the crusty K&A western end) a couple of years ago, with the boat now several years older, a drinker remarked "its the man from the shiny boat. You can't win!!!

............Dave

Oh dear, I spent some of this afternoon washing and polishing the right hand side of our boat. So am I half a shiny boater?

Anyway 2 in 1 here a shiny working boat:

Must get priority at bridge 'oles and locks. ninja.gif

Edited by Ray T

Hmph, don't care about shiny boats. What I DO care about is shiny 4WD brutes that cost tens of thousand of pounds, have hundreds of horsepower, are supposedly made to go 'offroad' and are driven by idiots that won't pull over to let me squeeze through a tight spot on country roads in case the cow parsley on the verge scratches the paintwork, I, meanwhile am driving through hawthorn, barbed wire, and puzzled cattle so they can pretend to be Brian Aldridge (the Archers in case you didn't know) Grrrrrr

• Greenie 1

Only once has a shiny boater refused to share a lock with me. Once he had told me that he was taking it to Crick as a "show boat" I was happy to wait and let him through by himself.

If someone refused to share a lock with me, that's their choice, but they would be the ones to wait.

• Greenie 1

Only once has a shiny boater refused to share a lock with me. Once he had told me that he was taking it to Crick as a "show boat" I was happy to wait and let him through by himself.

When taking Swift (ex Working Boat) to Crick a few years back we shared with one of the Shiny boats on its way to Crick for display. The owners were more than happy to share the locks with us.

I polished our last boat once and its the first time the dog has fell off the boat whilst on the move. Polishing can be deadly lol

Polished?

Not sure I understand. Boats sink if you polish them, don't they? Even if not, I'm damned if I'm taking the risk.

Besides, polishing it might mislead the local scrotes into thinking there was something inside worth breaking in and nicking!

Edited by Catnip King