Seven people injured in Taplow boat explosion

Ray T

Featured Posts

No Mike, not just outboards.

Lot's of boats on the Thames are essentially sea going boats. There are plenty of sports cruisers, with bloody great engines that never get above tickover at river speeds. Up to about 28 feet they're often single inboard engines with an outdrive. The popularity of petrol boats is usually due to the cheaper cost to buy, coupled with the availability of petrol, as Bray, Windsor and Racecourse marina's all sell petrol, and yet are virtually next door to each other.

Mostly you'll see it with mid range American boats, so at Windsor marina, for example, boats like Carver, Bayliner etc will be petrol inboards, with 5l, 5.7l and 7.5l Mercruiser engines. Not ideal for river cruising, but you get a lot of boat for the money, and it makes venturing onto the tidal Thames, or out to sea, an easier prospect.

They can be shorter too, with more engines. I spent time working on a twin Volvo engined Sunseeker

No idea what toilet it had though, not my area of expertise

Richard

Why are the tyres in American TV shows/movies always squealing? And have you noticed the cops in American shows/movies always leave their car doors unlocked?

And people pull up in their open-top cars and off they go, oblivious to the fact that drunken English football fans are about to stagger past and throw up into them all over the leather seats.

Saw a programme where the tyres were aquealing - diving over grass!

Tim

Only those with outboard motors, I'd suggest.

When I worked at Windsor Mariana as a service bod, I don't think I ever encounter a cruiser with an inboard petrol engine.

OTOH I didn't work there than long!

I'm not surprised at the prices that MDL charge..........

Anyway local knowledge has said that the boat was underway going downstream out of Bray lock near the M4 bridge.

Someone did some research and suggested that make and vintage of boat had an alcohol stove (WTF)???

Only those with outboard motors, I'd suggest.

When I worked at Windsor Mariana as a service bod, I don't think I ever encounter a cruiser with an inboard petrol engine.

OTOH I didn't work there than long!

A long time ago back in the 1970s we hired a GRP cruiser at Reading for the week that had an inboard petrol engine. I have no idea if any still exist though.

They can be shorter too, with more engines. I spent time working on a twin Volvo engined Sunseeker

No idea what toilet it had though, not my area of expertise

Richard

Um!

I believe that if one owned a Sunseeker, one doesn't go to the toilet! cloud9.gif

Nipper

Plenty of grp of all sizes up here on the Lancaster with inboard petrol engines.....interesting smell of petrol fumes as the go past often with people smoking etc....I keep waiting for a large bang! Oh and none of the yards sell petrol.

Cheers

Gareth

Saw a programme where the tyres were aquealing - diving over grass!

Tim

Next time you are watching a war / cop film and someone is letting fly with an automatic, see if any empty shells are ejected - its amazing how many don't!

Back on Toppic, if it has been confirmed that petrol was put in the pump out tank I wonder where the source of ignition came from.

Someone sat on the throne having a relaxing smoke?

How in gods name you put petrol in the sh!te tank is anyone's guess!!!

THE SHOWER OF SHIT OVER CHESHIRE

(short version)

by

Blaster Bates

Blaster Bates

I was approached by a gentleman with moleskin trousers on, with the crossed pockets, leaning well back on the pelvis. I'd never seen a bloke lean so far back without falling on his arse... and it suddenly occured to me... it was these crossed pockets... he'd obviously had no toys as a child!

"Here, young fella," he said, "I want a word with thee."

I said, "What is your trouble, Master?" (That's how they are, round our way.)

He said, "It's our septic tank. I've had a very nasty letter from the Council..."

It was about twice the size of this room, and the top of it was like one of these horrible meringues gone wrong, with a six-inch crust on it. I prodded it with a stick, and the swine sneered at me: "Come any closer and I'll have yer."

My God!... it was my duty to destroy it.

So we got the big five-pound sticks of explosive, tied them on the end of the cord, and tossed one in.

Plunk, it up-ended, and a big green bubble come up and winked at me. And we heard the most evil chuckle as the swine swallowed it.

I'm sure it thought I was feeding it.

There were four and a half thousand tons of effluent, all of it got to go. We got all the ends together, bit of wire, bit of fuse, detonator. Then the man in the moleskins said: "What about him down there?"

There was a bloke down the field in a bit of hedge, brushing with a blunt hook.

I said: "He'll have to shift. He'll get the lot."

Twelve seconds later, four and a half thousand tons of effluent leapt into the air. It climbed into the sky and, at 300 feet, it mushroomed out, and a shaft of sunlight hit it. You could see all the colours of the starling's wing, the greens and the golds and the browns, light and dark, and a lot of bottle-green in it, a lot of pig-muck, very sour smell, especially when it's been in there for eighty-two years. Then it turned over like an avenging cumulus, and he fled down the field, like Sodom and Gomorrah, very like, and his face went "Ahhh!". And he tried to run.

You can't run at 35 miles an hour, with clogs on, in a ploughed field.

He'd only made four yards, and he was carrying 25 pounds on his boots then. Visibly falling, and the second time he came up he got a face full of shite and a double hernia.

The main flight went hissing on its way, then it went to a grey fog and this thing wriggled and writhed on the ground and then rose up like a phoenix arising from the ashes.

The solids had mixed with the liquids and gone into a goo, so that when he lifted his arms... he had a pair of multi-coloured gossamer wings...

When I was at school (many years ago) one of the lads party tricks was to light a 'fart', unfortunately on this one occasion he had a blow-back and it melted his Nylon shorts which stuck to his skin.

Off to the School Nurse.

I don't remember him ever trying it again.

There is a Jasper Carrott sketch on that very topic :)

The BSS have just issued a press release saying

"In the past few weeks, three recent serious incidents linked to the use of petrol have seen nine people needing hospital treatment, two other people injured and eight boats damaged or destroyed. "

.. and they have issued this technical note and these top ten tips.

On our first boat we usually stored the petrol tank (and the filler tank) on the bank overnight, not least to reduce the smell. We also filled the main tank on the bank not in the boat.

sg_shetland.jpg?w=584&h=270

The problem isn't petrol per se, the problem is the people using it and tired old poorly made installations. A lot of cars seem to manage to use petrol without blowing up.

I was chatting to a Thames Lock-keeper a couple of weeks ago, and he said that one of his biggest fears was "tired old freemans cranking and cranking the engine whilst assuring him 'don't worry, it'll start in minute'"

I have had several petrol engined boats, the first being a converted ship's life boat with a sixty year old morris engine! I did a very careful carb rebuild to ensure no leaks and fitted a bilge blower (with a spark-safe fan) to dispel any fumes for a few minutes before starting the engine if it hadn't been run for a while.

The problem isn't petrol per se, the problem is the people using it and tired old poorly made installations. A lot of cars seem to manage to use petrol without blowing up.

I was chatting to a Thames Lock-keeper a couple of weeks ago, and he said that one of his biggest fears was "tired old freemans cranking and cranking the engine whilst assuring him 'don't worry, it'll start in minute'"

I have had several petrol engined boats, the first being a converted ship's life boat with a sixty year old morris engine! I did a very careful carb rebuild to ensure no leaks and fitted a bilge blower (with a spark-safe fan) to dispel any fumes for a few minutes before starting the engine if it hadn't been run for a while.

Spot on!

Cavalier attitude to boats and water usually ends up with something going wrong.