Pirate flags

blackrose

Featured Posts

I'm just amazed that people flying pirate flags think it's still funny. Like nobody has thought of it before.

A bit like all those people in Pisa trying to take a photo that looks as if they are holding the leaning tower up.

• Greenie 1

I'm just amazed that people flying pirate flags think it's still funny. Like nobody has thought of it before.

A bit like all those people in Pisa trying to take a photo that looks as if they are holding the leaning tower up.

Or people putting neckerchiefs on their dogs?

Edited by Naughty Cal

I realise there's no accounting for taste, but why do some of these people do it? Is it just newbies?

A couple of "Hugos" completely new to boats, just moved onto the moorings where I am and now they're flying a great big flag on their boat. It's brought the whole tone of the place down a couple of notches. I just think it's silly, but my other neighbours feel more strongly. I could understand it from a 7 year old, but they're in their 50s with no kids.

Never flown any flags never will. I hate them but must say they do not look anywhere near as naff as a satelite dish stuck on the side of a house/flat or heaven forbid on the roof of a boat when they look hideous.

Tim

• Greenie 1

A few years ago a new moorer here put up 2 Union flags on his boat and one very large on on his mooring, every single one upside down. He told me he was waiting for someone to tell him he had to take it down because it would offend "ethnics". Suffice to say no one told him to take them down and he never mentioned the 8x4ft Pakistan flag I bought off ebay. There's no flags here now.

A few years ago a new moorer here put up 2 Union flags on his boat and one very large on on his mooring, every single one upside down. He told me he was waiting for someone to tell him he had to take it down because it would offend "ethnics". Suffice to say no one told him to take them down and he never mentioned the 8x4ft Pakistan flag I bought off ebay. There's no flags here now.

clapping.gif

Will most certainly flag the rental on our holliday trip on the Forth&Clyde and Edinburgh union canal with a Swedish guest flag.

Worked a charm as conversaiton starter in the past.boat.gif

Not so sure about what Flag to fly above it though recent events considered, Union Jack or the St Andrews Cross?

Would be a let down if the conversation starts with "omont'n"".argue.gif

One of them?

Iain

Personally I couldn't give a large rodents bottom what bunting you choose to display just as long as you stay clear of ( sorry if this offends ) Rosie and Jim peeking cheekily from behind the curtains. Now I really am showing my grumpy old man side !

Personally I couldn't give a large rodents bottom what bunting you choose to display just as long as you stay clear of ( sorry if this offends ) Rosie and Jim peeking cheekily from behind the curtains. Now I really am showing my grumpy old man side !

No I agree with you there!

One boat round here has a Rosie and Jim sat on the roof that wave at passers by. Now that is sad.

It really doesn't matter what folks 'fly' or 'wear'.

Some flags are naff - as discussed on here - but then it's your choice.

Other flags have sensitive connotations - The Union flag (undefaced), white ensigns, blue ensigns (that upsets some folks - I don't know why).

Most important to me is the use of the cross of St. George on the Thames. As an ensign flag it's reserved for the Dunkirk Little Ships as a mark of respect. So it's distasteful if you wear one on the River from May to July (IMHO)

Otherwise any other flag is great - especially if it's a foreign national flag - then you can say G'day or Eh or where's that from - gets a conversation going....

Most important to me is the use of the cross of St. George on the Thames. As an ensign flag it's reserved for the Dunkirk Little Ships as a mark of respect. So it's distasteful if you wear one on the River from May to July (IMHO)

Being pedantic, it's actually a defaced Cross of St George but I agree with you about its importance and I have huge respect for what the boats and their crews did.

Howard

One of them?

I quite often fly "one of those" It is amazing how many people do not observe properly and mistake it for a standard UK red ensign. For a while last year I thought it may come to be in vogue again after over 300 years of disuse.

One person who noticed the difference asked "What Flag is that" when I replied "Caledonian" he nodded wisely and then added "Your English is very good, there is not a trace of Russian accent" I then told him that when my country was occupied my native language was forbidden in my part of Caledonia and we had to learn English at school. He nodded wisely and said no more.smile.png

biggrin.png

Reminds me of one of Gerald Durrell's books, in which the intrepid naturalist is boarding a train in London at the start of a journey to Africa. On seeing "Cameroon" stuck on his suitcase, a porter says to Durrell, "Sorry Sir, this train doesn't go to Scotland".

Just to clarify my position...

I've probably spent about 3 hours of my time with our new neighbours, helping them to understand the boat's plumbing and electrical systems. I've checked all his batteries and saved him over 300 quid on new batteries that he'd bought but didn't need (he got a refund). I helped him to adjust his leaking stern gland; given him a 2m length of braided nylon hose and jubilee clips for his engine room bilge pump which wasn't connected, and lent him my seasearcher magnet and long boathook when he dropped an expensive ratchet spanner and then rubber deck mats in the water.

All of the above for free.

So I'm not really such an uptight arse'ole, I'm actually very welcoming, friendly and helpful. I just happen to think that pirate flags on canal boats are silly, that's all. Others can disagree and that's also their prerogative.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 3

I've probably spent about 3 hours of my time with our new neighbours, helping them to understand the boat's plumbing and electrical systems. I've checked all his batteries and saved him over 300 quid on new batteries that he'd bought but didn't need (he got a refund). I helped him to adjust his leaking stern gland; given him a 2m length of braided nylon hose and jubilee clips for his engine room bilge pump which wasn't connected, and lent him my seasearcher magnet and long boathook when he dropped an expensive ratchet spanner and then rubber deck mats in the water.

So I'm not really such an uptight arse'ole, I'm actually very welcoming, friendly and helpful. I just happen to think that pirate flags on canal boats are silly, that's all. Others can disagree and that's also their prerogative.

You should have asked for the flag in payment

Great to hear boaters helping boaters. Can't find the greenie button on this tablet so will owe you one

Nice. That gives me a nice warm feeling :)