Pirate flags

blackrose

Featured Posts

Is there not something about submarines and the jolly roger I am sure it was mentioned on QI .

Would you maybe prefer the I.S. flag instead or maybe a yellow jack flag ?

At the end of the day it is a useful wind indicator for when you are manoeuvring in the marina.

Does the captain maybe only have one leg and therefore you could be guilty of discrimination ?

Is there not something about submarines and the jolly roger I am sure it was mentioned on QI .

Would you maybe prefer the I.S. flag instead or maybe a yellow jack flag ?

At the end of the day it is a useful wind indicator for when you are manoeuvring in the marina.

Does the captain maybe only have one leg and therefore you could be guilty of discrimination ?

The submarine thing is; when a sub had a successful "kill" during the war they entered harbour at the end of patrol with a sweeping brush tied to the periscope and a jolly roger tied to the broom. I was at Faslane when HMS Conquerer came back from the Falklands having sunk the Belgrano. As she came up the Gareloch towards the base the skipper had the jolly roger and broom tied to the periscope. He was quickly told by the Queens harbour master to take it down which he didn't.

What if you actually arrrrrr a Pirate?

(Edited for bad spelling of arrrrrr)

My thought were the same.

How does the OP know these new people aren't real pirates, about to ransack his boat and steal all his gold the second he goes out to work?

MtB

The Jolly Roger's gotta be better than the Miserable Roger which the others could fly in retaliation. smile.png

Perhaps their star sign is Pisces (Pisces of eight).

They're a pair of Doub-loons.

Edited by bizzard

The Jolly Roger's gotta be better than the Miserable Roger which the others could fly in retaliation. smile.png

Have also seen a 'Jolly Rodney,'

They are usually covered in Cobwebs,and persons on that Boat bearing the flag will laugh at you when you go by because your Boat is actually moving

CT

They should be banned from the canals. Then they'd be cutless.

• Greenie 1

I realise there's no accounting for taste, but why do some of these people do it? Is it just newbies?

A couple of "Hugos" completely new to boats, just moved onto the moorings where I am and now they're flying a great big flag on their boat. It's brought the whole tone of the place down a couple of notches. I just think it's silly, but my other neighbours feel more strongly. I could understand it from a 7 year old, but they're in their 50s with no kids.

Whats a ''Hugo''? If it is an insult i shall endeavor to start using it immediately.

I would say a lot of people get these flags as a moving on board present from friends or family that think they are mad.Bit of a laugh ,i suppose.I see them over here too and people dressed up as pirates at boat rallies.Each to their own.not for me.

Whats a ''Hugo''? If it is an insult i shall endeavor to start using it immediately.

I suspect it's an equivalent of "Hoorays", or what a burly rugby-playing Welsh acquaintance of mine used to dismiss as "bloody Nigels".

My thought were the same.

How does the OP know these new people aren't real pirates, about to ransack his boat and steal all his gold the second he goes out to work?

MtB

Or... it could be one of this lot

http://www.procolharum.com/99/p/mick-green1.jpg

Except I think they are all dead now.

Getting back on topic ...... I agree! These naff attempts to decorate boats is to be discouraged at all occasions.

I was appalled once to view a big sized boat, I guess nearly sixty feet of it was covered in what I can only describe as a grubby looking tent affair, all held own by ropes.

The titchy cabin at the back had unrealistic paintings of castles more akin to Walt Disney than anything I've ever seen via The National Trust.

And as for the amount of roses and daisies painted everywhere? ..... well honestly I thought for a moment Interflora were invading, but then I spotted all the various lines and lines of numbers! What's going on there? Mensa Afloat?!

More recently I was aghast to come across a whole collection of boats that I once remembered as rotting hulks lying about in places like Wendover Arm or Harefield. In those days they were history personified, some floating at funny angles with faded blue paintwork, but now they looked like showroom models and all sporting the same trend of unrealistic buildings and flora ..... and as for the numbers? Well they're multypling.

• Greenie 3

When we are trading we have Buddhist prayer flags on the roof and fly a black country flag from the front, is that ok???

There used to be a lovely old dutch barge style widebeam on the K&A and it always flew a pirate flag. It looked like it might be a pirate boat and I thought it was great.

Not sure that it works with a modern shiny "clonecrafr" style narrowboat though.

..............Dave

Or... it could be one of this lot

http://www.procolharum.com/99/p/mick-green1.jpg

Except I think they are all dead now.

Johnny Kidd was killed in a car crash in 1966, the rest of the group continued (intermittently and with some lineup changes) until

2010 when Mick Green died. Johnny Spence (bass & vocals) is still touring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8uC7ea9oE

springy

I realise there's no accounting for taste, but why do some of these people do it? Is it just newbies?

A couple of "Hugos" completely new to boats, just moved onto the moorings where I am and now they're flying a great big flag on their boat. It's brought the whole tone of the place down a couple of notches. I just think it's silly, but my other neighbours feel more strongly. I could understand it from a 7 year old, but they're in their 50s with no kids.

Just for you Mike, hehe

DSC_0034.jpg