Pirate flags

blackrose

Featured Posts

Just to clarify my position...

I've probably spent about 3 hours of my time with our new neighbours, helping them to understand the boat's plumbing and electrical systems. I've checked all his batteries and saved him over 300 quid on new batteries that he'd bought but didn't need (he got a refund). I helped him to adjust his leaking stern gland; given him a 2m length of braided nylon hose and jubilee clips for his engine room bilge pump which wasn't connected, and lent him my seasearcher magnet and long boathook when he dropped an expensive ratchet spanner and then rubber deck mats in the water.

All of the above for free.

So I'm not really such an uptight arse'ole, I'm actually very welcoming, friendly and helpful. I just happen to think that pirate flags on canal boats are silly, that's all. Others can disagree and that's also their prerogative.

I agree totally. Flags are not bunting and shouldn't be used as such.

It pisses me off every time I look at the SS G.B. from my mooring and see various flags being flown as bunting, (and the White Ensign flying at the stern - what the hell???? ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ensign : Brunel's SS Great Britain, although a merchant ship, appears to have worn (and still wears, in dry dock) the White Ensign, apparently because its first master (an ex-Royal Navy man) brought it with him.

Being pedantic, it's actually a defaced Cross of St George but I agree with you about its importance and I have huge respect for what the boats and their crews did.

Howard

Ah, yes, but I'm referring to the George being worn as an ensign. The defaced George is flown from the masthead, defaced with the arms of Dunquerke (IIRC). Just to confuse matters more, they also fly a plain George from the jack staff as well. Quite an imprssive sight!

maybe because some folks earned the right to fly it .... frusty.gif

Methinks those that object don't bother whether the owner has a right to wear it - they think everyone should wear only a Red.

(apologies for the very anoraky replies)

No apologies for pursuing the subject of flag flying / wearing, though.

Whilst on the subject of flying the ensign. Am I alone in thinking it looks a bit daft on the back of a narrowboat, yet cruisers look at bit naked without one?

I do agree with the first point. I don't think an ensign looks right on a narrowboat. Couldn't say why really, bit of discussion on this thread about being entitled to fly one and I don't feel I am entitled to do so. I have sailed under red and white ensigns so perhaps feel differently. Having said that i do agree that you can flutter whatever you like, it's not the end of the world.

Whilst on the subject of flying the ensign. Am I alone in thinking it looks a bit daft on the back of a narrowboat, yet cruisers look at bit naked without one?

No, you're not alone, especially when it's flying from a bit of old garden cane, tie-wrapped to the swan neck. However, each to his own, I suppose.

Howard

Absolutely.

That's why I only wear mine when on the river, else it get's mucky in a lock....

Absolutely.

That's why I only wear mine when on the river, else it get's mucky in a lock....

They get holes in them when you get them caught around the cleat whilst hanging the boat in a lock!

We found that out late last year in West Stockwith lock!

I'm all for people having fun, and whether it is tasteful or not is a very. I think we can all have a lapse in taste; in fact some people even own yoghurt pots

However, it is worth remembering that piracy still exists in many parts of the world, and people have been killed, or subjected to extended periods of captivity by pirates who are not fun people in any way! Piracy is not fun, it is brutal and cruel, and in my opinion it is not a subject for mirth.

Please give this a passing thought next time you hoist the black flag!

Howard

Yeah this, because as we all know Somali pirates fly the Jolly Roger.

Give me a break.

I remember my mother' confused expression when on our first cabal holiday a rotund gentleman with a captains cap on his head and a plum in his mouth informed her he had lost his ensign overboard.

It was only on later questioning we realised she thought he had lost his ELSAN overboard!!!!!

Yeah this, because as we all know Somali pirates fly the Jolly Roger.

Give me a break.

Willingly, but stop speaking rubbish and open your mind. It isn't the flag they wear, it's the association with pirates that I take issue with. Pirates are not fun, and many people have suffered at the hands of modern day pirates.

Howard

Willingly, but stop speaking rubbish and open your mind. It isn't the flag they wear, it's the association with pirates that I take issue with. Pirates are not fun, and many people have suffered at the hands of modern day pirates.

Howard

They are good looking though :)

pirates-of-the-caribbean-pictures-jack-s

Howard

How politically correct do you have to be to object to people flying a Jolly Roger or 6 year olds wanting to dress up as pirates?

It's hardly in the same league as displaying as swastika or navigating wearing a kkk hoodie is it?

You're the type of person that will watch a T.V. show that you dissaprove of just so you can get offended and pen a letter to the broadcaster.

As a pirate I must apologise for the brutality and barbarism I have inflicted upon (amongst others) Sony Entertainment, Warner Brothers, MGM etc.

• Greenie 2

How politically correct do you have to be to object to people flying a Jolly Roger or 6 year olds wanting to dress up as pirates?

It's hardly in the same league as displaying as swastika or navigating wearing a kkk hoodie is it?

You're the type of person that will watch a T.V. show that you dissaprove of just so you can get offended and pen a letter to the broadcaster.

As a pirate I must apologise for the brutality and barbarism I have inflicted upon (amongst others) Sony Entertainment, Warner Brothers, MGM etc.

Yes indeed, well said.

My own objections have nothing to do with political correctness, just what I perceive as the poor taste of boaters with affectations of pantomime cliche.

Just to clarify my position...

I've probably spent about 3 hours of my time with our new neighbours, helping them to understand the boat's plumbing and electrical systems. I've checked all his batteries and saved him over 300 quid on new batteries that he'd bought but didn't need (he got a refund). I helped him to adjust his leaking stern gland; given him a 2m length of braided nylon hose and jubilee clips for his engine room bilge pump which wasn't connected, and lent him my seasearcher magnet and long boathook when he dropped an expensive ratchet spanner and then rubber deck mats in the water.

All of the above for free............................

They sound more like Bandits than Pirates...

Yes indeed, well said.

My own objections have nothing to do with political correctness, just what I perceive as the poor taste of boaters with affectations of pantomime cliche.

I can't argue with that.

Each to their own, personally I loathe country and western but the missus likes it and she's got a great pair of Bristol's which more than makes up for her appaling taste in music.

Edited by Skyraker