Pirate flags

blackrose

Featured Posts

No flags on Patty Ann but do have.....Rosie and Jim..suspect not for long as granddaughter coming today.

I did consider having flags on canes with right and left on so that sister could indicate from the bow for me when i attempt to wind boat ...oh and one with a L or P on to warn others of my newbie driving status..then thought wot the heck I'll crash along and anyway knowing Karen she'd wave the wrong one.

As for pirate flag...nope not for me..

I agree totally. Flags are not bunting and shouldn't be used as such.

It pisses me off every time I look at the SS G.B. from my mooring and see various flags being flown as bunting, (and the White Ensign flying at the stern - what the hell???? ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ensign : Brunel's SS Great Britain, although a merchant ship, appears to have worn (and still wears, in dry dock) the White Ensign, apparently because its first master (an ex-Royal Navy man) brought it with him.

There are two museum ships with dispensation to fly the white ensign and use the prefix "H.M.S." Cavalier and Belfast. I would imagine the admiralty would be upset by this and they do seem to take it seriously.

There are two museum ships with dispensation to fly the white ensign and use the prefix "H.M.S." Cavalier and Belfast. I would imagine the admiralty would be upset by this and they do seem to take it seriously.

The museum have a whole page on why she is flying the White Ensign.

http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/your-visit/things-see/ship/white-ensign

Just to clarify my position...

I've probably spent about 3 hours of my time with our new neighbours, helping them to understand the boat's plumbing and electrical systems. I've checked all his batteries and saved him over 300 quid on new batteries that he'd bought but didn't need (he got a refund). I helped him to adjust his leaking stern gland; given him a 2m length of braided nylon hose and jubilee clips for his engine room bilge pump which wasn't connected, and lent him my seasearcher magnet and long boathook when he dropped an expensive ratchet spanner and then rubber deck mats in the water.

All of the above for free.

So I'm not really such an uptight arse'ole, I'm actually very welcoming, friendly and helpful. I just happen to think that pirate flags on canal boats are silly, that's all. Others can disagree and that's also their prerogative.

Nice, so as far as they are concerned you are this warm fuzzy friendly helpful type, whilst behind their back you have gone on to the internet to slag them off for having a flag you dont approve of.

I see loads of boats with pirate flags, in fact I would go so far as to say there are more pirate flags than any other type. Sadly my GF wouldnt let me have a pirate flag, so instead I got this pirate hat made which I wear when boating.

IMG_171177879338810.jpeg

• Greenie 2

The museum have a whole page on why she is flying the White Ensign.

http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/your-visit/things-see/ship/white-ensign

....and it seems they are squirming, trying to justify why they are now flying a flag which is illegal in the present day.

if something is justified 'for historical accuracy' then we might expect replica sailing ships to buy slaves in Nigeria today and transport them to Barbados.

............................ perhaps this should be moved to the 'grumpy' thread.

Nice, so as far as they are concerned you are this warm fuzzy friendly helpful type, whilst behind their back you have gone on to the internet to slag them off for having a flag you dont approve of.

I see loads of boats with pirate flags, in fact I would go so far as to say there are more pirate flags than any other type. Sadly my GF wouldnt let me have a pirate flag, so instead I got this pirate hat made which I wear when boating.

IMG_171177879338810.jpeg

Your flag on the back is upside down.

....and it seems they are squirming, trying to justify why they are now flying a flag which is illegal in the present day.

That's just silly. You can't expect a museum exhibit, specifically intended to show something as it was at a time in the past, to be changed to adhere to modern rules.

(What have I started... flag pedants versus rivet counters... an unstoppable force meets an immovable object... get your popcorn here!) argue.gif

Ssscruddy's flag is indeed the right way up, but a red ensign would be more appropriate maybe, and I think on inland waters there's no requirement for any flag.

The tricorne hat is well overdue for a fashion revival, and on its own does not in any way signify a pirate. It was very widely worn in the 18th century by all sorts of men. Maybe I should get one and start wearing it around Croydon. I'd get some funny looks on Tramlink, but it would be a great conversation starter.

To be fair to them, they give a reasoned argument as to why, as a museum piece, it would be appropriate for her to wear the White Ensign.

The problem is that they stop there.

"We think this is right, so we will ignore the law and do it".

We know that it is possible for vessels that are NOT commissioned RN ships to fly the White Ensign by Admiralty Warrant, so why haven't they taken their justification and applied for an Admiralty Warrant?

To be fair to them, they give a reasoned argument as to why, as a museum piece, it would be appropriate for her to wear the White Ensign.

The problem is that they stop there.

"We think this is right, so we will ignore the law and do it".

We know that it is possible for vessels that are NOT commissioned RN ships to fly the White Ensign by Admiralty Warrant, so why haven't they taken their justification and applied for an Admiralty Warrant?

exactly.

Because that would be silly. It's a museum exhibit.

Also, because there is nothing illegal about flying the White Ensign from the SS Great Britain anyway.

The present restriction on flying this flag arises from the Merchant Shipping Act 1995, section 2(1): The flag which every British ship is entitled to fly is the red ensign (without any defacement or modification) and, subject to subsections (2) and (3) below, no other colours.

But what is a "British ship"? Well, the definitions section 313 says it has the meaning given in section 1(1), which in turn defines it as a "ship" that meets certain conditions about being British.

And what is a "ship" in the first place? Back to the definitions in section 313, we find that “ship” includes every description of vessel used in navigation.

But the SS Great Britain is not a vessel used in navigation. She is permanently out of the water with a building built around her. She is not, and never again will be, a vessel used for navigation.

So although she is clearly still a ship in the colloquial sense of the word, she is not legally one for the purpose of the Act.

And thus is not restricted by the rule in section 2(1) which would prohibit a ship from flying the White Ensign.