Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I beleive the Yarmouth was shortened by a Mr. C.H. Taplin and renamed  Golden Valley at that time. He was an early IWA member and was involved in the Lower Avon Restoration .  He kept the boat on the Avon for many years, he had  a company that carried out chassis conversions  so the commander would make sense.. The company also built several steel narrow boat hulls in about 1966 onwards. Probably finishing production when builders began constructing their own shells. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yarmouth is a lovely boat.

Of course being really quite old there could be some issues. Not sure if or when it had major hull works but if my memory is working the front 80 percent of it is an old horse boat. 

Very nice item. 

ETA 1914 and rebuilt by Roger Farringdon in 1986 according to the ad. 

Probably alright then. 

Edited by magnetman
correct name of fabricator

On 01/08/2023 at 14:33, magnetman said:

Yes it is interesting. We had it on here a few weeks ago. Seems a good price there must be an achilles heel (other than the shocking state of the interior!)

I don't think there has been any price change - £35K when last discussed -£35K now.

A famous British monarch uttered the memorable words "Bugger Bognor" - presumably that interior was the result!

YARMOUTH had extensive new steel in 1986, including an 18' swim, all new footings, steel bulkheads to keep the side straight, a 10mm steel bottom replacing the previous worn Elm, and a fully fitted back cabin by the Late Chris Lloyd. The internal bottoms and 3" angle iron bottom frames were treated with waxoyl, laid upon which was roofing felt, onto which was placed heaven knows how many paving slabs for ballast. The entire sides and roof were spray foamed. The new (back then) Classic stove was treated to having its oven door chromium plated, suggested by Chris, as a bit of 'boatman's bling'. She was our cosy home for ten years. Seeing her again I am tempted, but we are too well established on the land with 'animals', to restart another period of boating. And things are never the same when you go back to something you once knew so well.

1984: With plywood sides on inch square tubular framing, a steel 'coach' like top with rooftop water tank, and two inch wide gunnels. Powered by a BMC 2.2 diesel. In that trim, we took on the Thames, Wey, right up and across the Pennines, up the Trent from Keadby. Got well stuck in one of the bottom locks going down Napton due to spread, got helped out by Esme, the lengthsman, who flushed us out big time.

1005astuff0005.JPG.a3b8138e7b67442ca2e6ba5b56a1fd63.JPG

Braunston '86.

1026aaYarmouth0012.JPG.4527c18dfc093263db826f47b86ff1ea.JPG

Hammering it, on the Stainforth & Keadby '88 - Petter Power.

10280107Pict0028.thumb.JPG.2286f2c276e1d68b253d56e9f6e0a2e7.JPG

1050aYarmouth0023(Medium).JPG.eaf7a780a59a38fef8a088d6e118a022.JPG

Edited by Derek R.
typo
  • Greenie 2

15 hours ago, magnetman said:

Yarmouth is a lovely boat.

Of course being really quite old there could be some issues. Not sure if or when it had major hull works but if my memory is working the front 80 percent of it is an old horse boat. 

Very nice item. 

ETA 1914 and rebuilt by Roger Farringdon in 1986 according to the ad. 

Probably alright then. 

I’d be more worried about the 80s steel - some of the boats in the UCC fleet built at this yard at a similar time have had to be re footed.  There is also I believe the potential for galvanic action between the iron and steel with the steel corroding.   On my last boat the iron sides were near perfect but the steel bottom was beginning to show pitting.  There are also other visible issues with Yarmouth like the disintegrating wooden doors - not a big issue but perhaps an indication of how much maintenance it has received over the years.

Still tempted though!

Paul

3 hours ago, Paul H said:

I’d be more worried about the 80s steel - some of the boats in the UCC fleet built at this yard at a similar time have had to be re footed.  There is also I believe the potential for galvanic action between the iron and steel with the steel corroding.   On my last boat the iron sides were near perfect but the steel bottom was beginning to show pitting.  There are also other visible issues with Yarmouth like the disintegrating wooden doors - not a big issue but perhaps an indication of how much maintenance it has received over the years.

Still tempted though!

Paul

All the same, anyone contemplating buying BOGNOR for £35k would do well to consider adding £15k and buying YARMOUTH instead. Far better value for money IMO! 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, MtB said:

All the same, anyone contemplating buying BOGNOR for £35k would do well to consider adding £15k and buying YARMOUTH instead. Far better value for money IMO!

It's as valid a viewpoint as any other I guess.

However purchase of Bognor gives you the hull of a full length Grand Union Canal Carrying Co motor boat.

Purchase of Yarmouth gives you what was originally an ex Fellows Morton & Clayton horse boat, subsequently shortened and rebuilt at the back end to have a motor counter.

Clearly thiugh Yarmouth's JP2 trounces the unsuitable engine in Bognor though.

It depends what you want - there are plenty of people interested in a converted historic boat who would probably not be interested in either of these.

I believe this is a price drop since I last looked -apologies if it  has already been recorded.

Note also that David now explicitly states that he is prepared to split the pair.

Cyprus and Cedar

Edited by alan_fincher

On 11/08/2023 at 13:54, John Brightley said:

I used to have quite a soft spot for TASMANIA - quite an admission, as I am firmly a "Grand Union" fan!

But that was when it was much shorter, (probably 40 feet I think), and had a lovely old Lister (probably an FR2, though I might be mis-rememberng).

Subsequent re-lengthenings have removed much of it's appeal for me and it is now too much new build, and not enough ex FMC horseboat.

We spent a day boating alongside TASMANIA sharing locks with our FLAMINGO as we attempted the Rochdale from Manchester to Hebden Bridge.   I have to concede that TASMANIA was a lot shallower draughted than FLAMINGO, and also narrower beam, so encountered less problems on a"difficult" canal.

One oddity of TASMANIA, (obvious in those photos), is that the exhaust goes out through the hull side.  It was the preference of the owner not to breathe in exhaust from a vertical pipe on the roof.  However being on the wrong side in a shared lock was not present.  Apart from which it just seems plain wrong.

9 minutes ago, junior said:

How much of that is 'old'?

Absolute maximum 40 feet - given that Braine would often put an entirely new counter stern on, with little attempt to use as much original iron as possible, probably quite a bit less than 40'.

If Pete Harrison sees this post, I would be grateful for correction of anything I have got wrong.

14 minutes ago, DShK said:

Badsey is for sale again. I was briefly tempted to consider buying her. But I believe it's a wooden topped boat - not really excited by the problems that will entail.

Id be more concerned about all that "SHOUTY" text" that implies that the vendor is looking for something other than a straight you agree a price,  pay it, and it is yours.

No doubt Mr Lauder thinks he has been clear, but I can't help thinking I can't be the only one who doesn't really understand what he is suggesting (or why?).

18 minutes ago, DShK said:

Badsey is for sale again. I was briefly tempted to consider buying her. But I believe it's a wooden topped boat - not really excited by the problems that will entail.

the wooden top didn't look bad when it was on slip a few weeks ago bit of patching in round the gunnel maybe..... nice boat tho 

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Id be more concerned about all that "SHOUTY" text" that implies that the vendor is looking for something other than a straight you agree a price,  pay it, and it is yours.

No doubt Mr Lauder thinks he has been clear, but I can't help thinking I can't be the only one who doesn't really understand what he is suggesting (or why?).

You do have to wonder why the previous sales fell through...

I do remember seeing previously in this thread, he had posted a similar shouty top-note last time it was up, raging about their experience with buyers. He could just be fed-up with idiots himself. Or it could be them causing disagreement? We only have one side of the story.

21 minutes ago, Darrenroberts said:

the wooden top didn't look bad when it was on slip a few weeks ago bit of patching in round the gunnel maybe..... nice boat tho 

From reading people's experiences with wooden tops, it seems typically you don't see problems until staining appears inside, by then it's started to rot. Advice tended to be "if it's not got historic value, skin over it with steel". They did note that the wood is being checked over at the moment, but that doesn't mean there won't be problems with it down the line. Seems a bit like living in a shed with no windows in a boat hold, and from the photos it looks like all it has is a bed, a sofa, a diesel heater and a bath(?!) in one large room.

Edited by DShK

20 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes. Would be cleaner if he just completed the various works listed then sold the boat as newly fettled. I suppose 6 months free mooring might appeal to some buyers.