Gaily Lock

Midnight

Featured Posts

Just been sent a video by @Jon57 the lock beam at Gailey has snapped - "vandalism" I suspect! Nothing to do with a rotted beam that should have been replaced awhile ago. Let's see how long this one takes to fix bodge.

image.png.611cd47cb607441d18c537df6fced9e1.png

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

If they do claim vandalism then someone has a pretty robust sense of humour. 

7 hours ago, Midnight said:

Just been sent a video by @Jon57 the lock beam at Gailey has snapped - "vandalism" I suspect! Nothing to do with a rotted beam that should have been replaced awhile ago. Let's see how long this one takes to fix bodge.

image.png.611cd47cb607441d18c537df6fced9e1.png

I have seen this picture on Facebook at Brick Kiln lock 

IMG_2934.jpeg

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

The condition of this one is so bad I doubt that one of those 'temporary fix' braces would be able to sort it!

They could fit 2 braces onto the remaining woodwork, then use a third brace to brace the 2 braces.

24 minutes ago, magnetman said:

More robust than the balance beam, for sure.

Vandalism is intentional destruction of property so it might apply in this case, it all depends on whether the various fungi involved intended to destroy the beam, or just wanted to eat it and its destruction was an unintended byproduct of this.

• Haha 1

It is Brick Kiln lock, the one before Gailey, according to the stoppage notice.

As it is near a hire base and will impact many other hire bases I wonder if there will be pressure to get it sorted quickly if materials are available.

Robust:  Post Office definition of robust:

Having an initial design that would do the job effectively, as checked from inspecting the paper documents, without any checks to see if the actual build as implemented, works.

• Greenie 1

As the Middlewich link is currently shut with a sunk boat, that's a ring unringed in good style!

Maybe the old days were better, when we simply didn't know about all this and just took breakdowns in our stride rather than getting exasperated because we expect to be able to plan ahead.

3 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Having an initial design that would do the job effectively, as checked from inspecting the paper documents, without any checks to see if the actual build as implemented, works.

I think you've just defined management.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

It them pesky fungi vandalising the lock gates... :)

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

As the Middlewich link is currently shut with a sunk boat, that's a ring unringed in good style!

Maybe the old days were better, when we simply didn't know about all this and just took breakdowns in our stride rather than getting exasperated because we expect to be able to plan ahead.

Dont know why they put a stoppage for that one, just seen the photo and there looks to be room to pass with ease.image.png.0c3331a597a7b404b29c9d17be000735.png

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Where is the bridge?

A couple of boat lengths off camera to the left.

EDIT: looks about halfway along the straight section between bridges 23 and 24, next to or a bit east of Clive Green 48h moorings. More than a couple of boat lengths from bridge 24 in the background.

The boat used to belong to David Wheeler of WBDCS, up for sale a few months ago.

Edited by Francis Herne

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is the full photo, I can see one bridge behind but dont know where the next is image.png.e0ef5c644568a178625da0cae1161c1e.png

That's awful looks like a decent boat. Weed hatch maybe?

4 hours ago, Paul C said:

They could fit 2 braces onto the remaining woodwork, then use a third brace to brace the 2 braces.

More robust than the balance beam, for sure.

Someone on Facebook suggests that it will be fixed with a  steel brace on Monday but I don't know where they got their information from

5 hours ago, Paul C said:

I think the more accepted method is known as belt and braces...  ;)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

I have seen this picture on Facebook at Brick Kiln lock 

IMG_2934.jpeg

That looks a bit naughty. 

Heel post no longer connected to balance beam ?

It seems like something one could fry or barbecue. 

I wonder if the CRT should look at inviting educational tours and perhaps set up one of those mobile coffee things. Making wife better by water and all that jazz. 

isn't it. 

15 hours ago, magnetman said:

That looks a bit naughty. 

Heel post no longer connected to balance beam ?

It seems like something one could fry or barbecue. 

I wonder if the CRT should look at inviting educational tours and perhaps set up one of those mobile coffee things. Making wife better by water and all that jazz. 

isn't it. 

Is brick Kiln lock is near Leicester?

Is  Brick Kiln lock near Leicester?

1 minute ago, Steve Manc said:

Is brick Kiln lock is near Leicester?

Is  Brick Kiln lock near Leicester?

The photo is the one on the Staffs and Worcs below Gailey. 

N

On 08/06/2024 at 10:34, system 4-50 said:

Actually I think it was Deloittes' definition . . . 

Doing a better review was looking very expensive and not advised, or taken up. Shades of most public services (inc canals) ie we don't have enough money to do the proper thing but we have to look as if we are not ignoring it!