A pint with?

frahkn

Featured Posts

There was a thread today that wandered off topic (as threads often do) into an (to me) interesting area.

Basically "who would you/have you had a pint with"?

Having spent the odd hour or two in various pubs over the last 54 years or so; I would be interested to hear of any interesting encounters which fellow members might have had.

If there is any response I will mention one or two of my own.

8 minutes ago, frahkn said:

There was a thread today that wandered off topic (as threads often do) into an (to me) interesting area.

Basically "who would you/have you had a pint with"?

Having spent the odd hour or two in various pubs over the last 54 years or so; I would be interested to hear of any interesting encounters which fellow members might have had.

If there is any response I will mention one or two of my own.

Do you mean forum members??

Too many so called celebrities to mention due to a pub I ran in a very very very expensive village. Several well known figures attended, some as regulars and some just odd times. Its a long list but they are only people anyways.

24 minutes ago, MJG said:

Do you mean forum members??

I only know one forum member and I have not knowingly met any. So, no not forum members particularly.

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Too many so called celebrities to mention due to a pub I ran in a very very very expensive village. Several well known figures attended, some as regulars and some just odd times. Its a long list but they are only people anyways.

Indeed they are only people and some are not helped by being celebrities but some (or perhaps more the circumstances of the encounter) will be interesting.

Possibly, meeting as a landlord should be excluded.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Whilst tending bar at Uni i served Derek Nimmo (his son was at Cheltenham when i was) as he'd come to see his lad in a play. Doing the theatre bar was a perk for the bar staff who were competent, half hour mad rush before the show, another mad half hour at intermission, then clean up, stock up and F off, all for a full nights pay :D 

Once when on holiday in France many years ago we once shared a bottle of red (or two) with the couple on the adjacent pitch.

After a while I had to ask - 'you are the spitting image of somebody famous who is it please? (I genuinely couldn't bring it to mind).

'You are thinking of Clark Gable I believe......' And he was correct, he was the absolute double. He was also still alive (Gable died 24 years previous) and he was actually a retired Met Police Inspector. So it defo wasn't him. 🤣

So I don't think that encounter counts.

Edited by MJG

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I knew a guy who looked like Graham Hill.

No answer to "if shorts are allowed" so I will submit to having a whiskey with Bernard Manning.

I am a member of the local clwb wisgi, we meet every friday night. If you are ever in the area you are welcome to join us.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Shouldn't this be in the virtual pub ? Maybe we should ask Admin 

I didn't think it counted if you only had a virtual pint with someone.

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I knew a guy who looked like Graham Hill.

No answer to "if shorts are allowed" so I will submit to having a whiskey with Bernard Manning.

Only counts if you have the real stuff (ie whisky) and not the other stuff!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I didn't think it counted if you only had a virtual pint with someone.

Only counts if you have the real stuff (ie whisky) and not the other stuff!

Its got to be Irish, more flavour.  Scotch is fine with water but Irish is neat.

Patrick Moore bought me a pint once (he was in St Andrews collaborating with my housemate, an astronomer, on a book).  My main memory of him was that he was so large that he required two chairs, side by side, one for each cheek.

I met him again at Jodrell Bank, with another astronomer friend.  No pints involved that time, unfortunately.

Not a pint I know, but George Best paid for my chips in the local chip shop when I was a kid, I guess I still owe his estate 10d in old money, or about 4 pence new money.

• Greenie 1

A pint with George Harrison, a cup of tea with David Jason.

(I have also had a pizza with Matt Hancock but that was in a professional capacity rather than for pleasure).

Alec

I had a pint with Omar Sharif at a bar in Palermo. Didn’t know who he was until someone told me later.

I stood next to Bob Hawke in the gents urinal. Does that count ?