Fly Tipping and Canals

Heartland

Featured Posts

The Wolverhampton Councillor Phil Bateman recently featured in the media condemning the serious fly tipping along the Wyrley & Essington Canal, where CRT staff have removed various items. Carpets and underlay were included in the haul from the canal.

The CRT state it is difficult to find those responsible and the problem is similar to preventing those that daub graffiti along our transport network.

Is there a way to rectify this

(1) Is there any point for a dedicated text number to receive details of what people might see

(2) Is it possible to identify the waste to a point of origin?

(3) If it is established that a person or persons have benefitted from the tipping, should harsher penalties be imposed?

(4) Should more scrutiny be made regarding the Waste Companies, some of whom appear to make vast profits from this business?

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

5. make it easier and cheaper for householders to dispose of their rubbish at the council "tips".

absolutely....

at our tip, on the road leading up to it theres a spot people unload their cars after being turned away from the tip. Nobody seems to be upset as the people at least tried. Crazy rules.

• Greenie 1

Last winter I saw someone had brazenly tipped a load of carpet on the grass verge and towpath at the bottom of Factory Locks.

The tyre marks where they’d reversed were quite clear across the grass.

The carpet remained there for a month or so before it disappeared.

Hopefully it didn’t end up in the cut.

Anyone caught fly tipping should be crushed along with their vehicle,

that’d stop ‘em. 

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

5. make it easier and cheaper for householders to dispose of their rubbish at the council "tips".

I thought proper flytipping was usually done by dodgy commercial outfits? As they have to pay to pay to dispose of their waste. For example, hardcore from commercial construction.

I might be ignorant here but tips aren't exactly like trying to get hold of an NHS dentist...

Edited by DShK

13 minutes ago, DShK said:

I thought proper flytipping was usually done by dodgy commercial outfits? As they have to pay to pay to dispose of their waste. For example, hardcore from commercial construction.

I might be ignorant here but tips aren't exactly like trying to get hold of an NHS dentist...

Lots of tips are very, very specific about what they will and wont take, along with amounts. I've had to take 4 carloads of old kitchen cabinets from when i did our kitchen over 4 weekends as they would not allow it on one weekend - makes no sense....

Yes, I had to get rid of faulty laminate flooring , the local tip would not take it but I  went to a different authority (as advised by the local tip) and they did take it.

The local tip refused to take six empty wine bottles as I was driving my van!

Sometime locals leave stuff outside the local tip at night when it is closes, I suppose I can understand that given the flooring debacle.

Commercial waste, generally has to be moved to landfill in a skip and paid for. The dodgy man with van is the one who dumps in any convenient place.

Edited by LadyG

Interesting. Back in my hometown the local one you have to book trips now, so does limit the amount you can take at a time. But the one in the town over has no such restrictions.

The only time I've met a problem was "that's asbestos" lol. It was an old outdoor plant pot. Had no idea...

Even then they would take it but it had to be bagged up properly.

1 hour ago, DShK said:

There is no way you can take anything to the Reading & Wokingham tip if you do not have a vehicle. Don't even think about walking the 00 yards from Fobney lock.

You have to make a booking for a half hour slot and print out a form to take with you.

When you get there you then have to produce photo ID and you may be asked for certain other document like a utility bill.

This all encourages householders to employ those who do fly tip.

• Greenie 2

This is one of the reasons we are a tad reluctant to keep going back to the BCN. Apart from a tyre on the prop and the usual amount of plastic, fishing line and weed, we've thankfully got past with no problem a sunken bath, lots of shopping trollies, road cones and numerous kitchen cupboard fronts. Until peeps and industries alongside these canals see them as something other than a tip, the closure of these canals will not affect them. Easy to become depressed, except - so many walkers and cyclists that we are engaging in conversation along the towpaths here on our way to the Brum protest are very concerned. This needs sharing and maybe education in local schools with visits to the many joys of these green spaces. For once, I agree with CRT's community outreach arm. The unique UK canals really are for everyone.

I think in my short 10-11 years experience of the BCN, the BCN is a lot lot better. 
Has the price of carrier bags helped keep a bit of plastic out of the cut?

My biggest problem has been coal bags and they’ll have come off boats. 

Maybe I’ve got better at navigating the BCN and not stirred up so much crap. 

Mind, I always seem to catch a sari at Titford Pools. 

Which ever way the BCN is worth the trouble 👍

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

25 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think in my short 10-11 years experience of the BCN, the BCN is a lot lot better. 
Has the price of carrier bags helped keep a bit of plastic out of the cut?

My biggest problem has been coal bags and they’ll have come off boats. 

Maybe I’ve got better at navigating the BCN and not stirred up so much crap. 

Mind, I always seem to catch a sari at Titford Pools. 

Which ever way the BCN is worth the trouble 👍

My one trip down the weedhatch this year was a coal bag picked up on the Llangollen.  Normally don't find the BCN a problem.

4 hours ago, DShK said:

You obviously haven't tried using my local tip then.

You'd be turned away unless you turned up in a pre-registered vehicle, with the right residents disc displayed in the windscreen.

Even if you are entitled to use it as a local council-tax-paying resident.

• Greenie 1

What about the cases - particularly on the BCN, where it's bleeding obvious who's dumped the crap as it's at the bottom of their garden or behind their industrial unit?

A car repair business I passed regularly used to throw old tyres,  bumpers etc. over the fence quite brazenly. I moored up one day and threw the lot back over. Most of it landed on customers cars.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Just been down to the boater facilities at Cosgrove.  Outside the bin compound is a huge pile of fly-tipped stuff, including a set of dining chairs.  And inside the locked compound is just as bad, with bits of a bed among other stuff.

16E4F373-72D1-442B-B9BB-5E992644EAEA.jpeg

A416179F-CA22-4EAE-8138-257814979D19.jpeg

Reading this I realise how lucky we are with our tip/recycling centre.  No booking, no time slots, no proving who you are, no limit on what you can take, in fact basically no limits apart from if you have a sign written works vehicle or the two mentioned below..

Over the years the only problem I have had was when I turned up with a 6 wheel vehicle, 6 wheels not allowed.  So I parked outside in view of the staff and transferred the load into the car going back and forwards many times.

Oh and double axle trailers aren't allowed without applying for a permit.

On 11/08/2023 at 17:19, DShK said:

Well as you mention later you need to book, can’t book on the day and you can’t turn up in a van can’t dispose of this and that  need to be a resident etc. it is no wonder there’s fly tipping. I fear it’s become worse since it became hived off by the council. It’s so stupid as the cost of fly tipping far exceeds the cost of a properly worked out contract. 

I suspect some problems relate to all sorts of foolish legislation that ultimately the great British Public manage to navigate around with a larger mess to clear up.

The only good thing about the local tip is they still take motor oil from our boat. I can imagine a DNA style  test soon to assess whether the oil was used in the councils district to prevent disposal. 

In contrast as I’ve been registered with the local dentist for years I can get seen surprisingly fast if ever in pain. Completely appreciate you can’t if not registered. You are though comparing a dire lack of trained dental professionals to a potential surfeit of workers with limited training requirements at the local tip. 

On 14/08/2023 at 12:03, adam1uk said:

Just been down to the boater facilities at Cosgrove.  Outside the bin compound is a huge pile of fly-tipped stuff, including a set of dining chairs.  And inside the locked compound is just as bad, with bits of a bed among other stuff.

16E4F373-72D1-442B-B9BB-5E992644EAEA.jpeg

A416179F-CA22-4EAE-8138-257814979D19.jpeg

When we were there in May the local man with a van was unloading most of that.