Boat Index/directory

Silent Flight

Featured Posts

Its not an unusual front end, its a seperate bedroom for when the kids come.

Licence is as X feet (without the extension) and then add the extension.

Similar concept to this as used by Victoria Plum (used as a garage for his disability cart and other accoutrements)

Lid opens, hydraulic lift places the buggy at 'bank height', drive off.

Victoria plum 2.jpg

Victoria Plum 3.jpg

Victoria Plum 5.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

On 26/04/2023 at 11:04, IanD said:

Most builders -- at least, the more upmarket ones rather than the lower-end "off-the-shelf" ones -- will offer lots of options including bow/stern/cabin shapes/types and amount of ornamentation, depending what the customer wants. There may be some little distinctive features which give away who the builder was, but it's not always that obvious. How many people would quickly spot who built this? (if I hadn't already said...)

20230306_125600(2).jpg

Tyler/Wilson have distinctive handrails and cants plus the decorative hinges on the gas locker.

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Tyler/Wilson have distinctive handrails and cants plus the decorative hinges on the gas locker.

Correct (Tim Tyler) 🙂

Not a gas locker here though (no gas!), bow locker has ballast and BT at bottom (boo, hiss...) and storage for anchor/chain/rope/hoses above...

On 26/04/2023 at 11:14, Jen-in-Wellies said:

No one has mentioned the Stow Hill "distinctive" pinched in bow shape. Bit of an acquired taste that.

Simon Piper's boats are easy. PIPER, cut in to the hull side at the stern on each side as engine bay air vents/intakes.

What about Simon's dad David Piper boats. They are very similar to Mike Heywood boats. Think Mike started as an apprentice at Pipers. Ther early Pipers all had the same style window and a hatch above the front door

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

That’s right, built by Crestelle/ Tony Francis, not in quite his usual style though. 

https://newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boats-for -sale/1200

Gosh what a remarkable boat. So much thought and effort put into all of it, yet an asking price of only £47k back in 2018.

Worth a whole lot more than that nowadays i'd imagine.

5 hours ago, MtB said:

Gosh what a remarkable boat. So much thought and effort put into all of it, yet an asking price of only £47k back in 2018.

Worth a whole lot more than that nowadays i'd imagine.

It appeals to a very niche market. And there is an argument that it's faux, which is something that particular market isn't always keen on. I can understand why it might not fetch the price it's initial appearance might suggest.

Most boat buyers seem to want their boat to look like a city centre apartment rather than a country cottage these days. In it's defence the interior of this one does look a lot like what a boat should look like - a boat.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

Any info to go with this ?

What are the plates on the hull pic 

White Heather, Regents canal refuse tug

The hull is riveted construction, overlapping plates riveted together, wrought iron although National Historic Ships register says hull is steel??

White Heather has had a lot of overplating which is clearly visible in the pictures. Steel plate over the original material which may have been steel or iron.

The bilge keels must have been added later as I don't think they are original.

I believe the bows on White Heather were reinforced a long time ago for use as an icebreaker hence the rather unusual shape of the overplating. 

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, merline said:

White Heather, Regents canal refuse tug

The hull is riveted construction, overlapping plates riveted together, wrought iron although National Historic Ships register says hull is steel??

I think Owls Den is talking about what look like mini bilge keels stick out the side on what looks like angle brackets. All I can think of is a sort of wear flange to protect the hull

• Greenie 1

I think this overplating has happened quite recently. I remember the boat back in the late 90s on the Thames and I'm sure it was on its original hull. 

It really spoils the lines of what is a very nice looking craft. 

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

Is that the South Pennine Boat Club dry dock?

Yes David. Went in yesterday for the first time. Was interesting as the present owner (custodian) had not had it dry docked before. We had pictures of when it was on a low loader and knew about the bilge keels. Managed to dock it without any problems. Lovely boat, and yes the bilge keels are not part of the original hull and have been well  fitted at some point. Present owner was told they were fitted to help stabilise her when sat on the bottom in the mud.

• Greenie 1

Certainly not there when our son Jason owned it in the 70s. They're pretty small, but it would be interesting to know how they affect the handling.

I don't think I've put this picture on before - Jason and Mike Carter taking two Joeys down onto the Thames on hire for a civil engineering job.

Tam

white heather2.jpg

• Greenie 4

On 04/05/2023 at 16:13, Alan de Enfield said:

Its not an unusual front end, its a seperate bedroom for when the kids come.

Licence is as X feet (without the extension) and then add the extension.

Similar concept to this as used by Victoria Plum (used as a garage for his disability cart and other accoutrements)

Lid opens, hydraulic lift places the buggy at 'bank height', drive off.

Victoria plum 2.jpg

Victoria Plum 3.jpg

Victoria Plum 5.jpg

I saw Victoria Plum's Garage a couple of years ago at Stanilands Marina, Thorne looking rather forlorn. However, yesterday I saw this:

20230506_130157.jpg.2cc7f3bc4ffe542af6d47a4915514c6b.jpg

It has been smartened up and paired with a different boat.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think Owls Den is talking about what look like mini bilge keels stick out the side on what looks like angle brackets. All I can think of is a sort of wear flange to protect the hull

Yes I was referring to those odd fins coming from the side. 

Mini bilge keels New to me.

I am sure this boat can go round Cape Horn now!