Foolhardy - 1st time Paddleboarder

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Dicing with death YouTuber paddleboards over North Wales and the world's tallest canal aqueduct - North Wales Live (dailypost.co.uk)

The Youtuber shared a video with his 3.8million combined followers

A thrill-seeking YouTuber has uploaded a video of himself dicing with death, paddleboarding across a 126 feet high North Wales landmark. Ally Law, 25, a social media influencer posted footage of his crossing the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in Llangollen.

Law, from Southampton can be seen swaying side to side as he paddles across the structure, putting his own life at risk - despite warning signs urging people not to risks causing a serious accident, or worse.

In the footage Law can be heard describing the cold winter conditions in North Wales, when he performed the stunt. In temperatures as low as two-degrees he is seen taking the paddleboard for the first time ever in just a pair of shorts and socks.

He said: "I either go in and get hypothermia, or I go overboard and fall about a hundred feet."

During the video which was uploaded on Monday, December 19, the Youtuber can be seen almost coming off his board several times.

Approaching the side of the aqueduct in panic, Law, who filmed the crossing on a head mounted GoPro can be heard saying "oh no" several times.

Just now, jonathanA said:

It's scary enough hanging on to the tiller of a 70foot nb...  

Next thing there will be calls to add a fence to the offside....  can't have numpties falling to their deaths....

There have already been a 'few'.

Our mooring was at Wixhall so the 'Ponty' was on our normal run - I remember one day we went across and there was a wreath on the railings. It turned out that a 'local' had walked over to the pub, had a bit too much and on his way home fell in - it was determined that he must have 'climbed' out on the 'wrong' side and fell to his death.

16 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I got wobbly knees just walking across... not sure that I could do it on the deck of a narrow-boat (and definitely not on a trad stern). The chances of falling off are slim, but the consequences severe!

(and don’t get me started on the term “influencer” -- the “me, me, me” culture of everyone wanting to be a “you-bend” sensation, get their two minutes of fame, and become millionaires overnight without having to study or work. It is so demeaning to people of genuine influence; the scientists, the writers, the painters, the explorers, and even some of the politicians who have shaped this brave o’erhanging firmament! Spending a day pretending to live on a narrow-boat or turning up somewhere in a VW Camper and making a 2 minute video about “free” camping” before going home to your three-bed semi in Walsall is not influential…)

Also I have it on good authority that this particular "influencer" has got his paddle-board the wrong way round  :boat:

Last time we crossed we had to wait for a group of paddler boarders to complete the crossing.  It seemed there was some organised out and back trip for paddler boarders and canoeists that included crossing the aqueduct.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Last time we crossed we had to wait for a group of paddler boarders to complete the crossing.  It seemed there was some organised out and back trip for paddler boarders and canoeists that included crossing the aqueduct.

We had to wait for a long stream of canoeists, but at least they were cheerful. Paddle boarding across seems ridiculously risky, but then some people seem to enjoy dicing with death...

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Next thing there will be calls to add a fence to the offside....  can't have numpties falling to their deaths....

Like they did on Marple aquaduct. About £2 million I think.

There was that young man who fell off the Aqueduct after trying to walk along the outside of the towpath hanging in the cast iron rails. He died and the aftermath of that  folly seemingly encouraged the CRT to prevent such acts in future. May be it did not. The CRT appears to encourage paddle boaters whose activities can affect boaters. May be it is time there is a charter for well being stating what can be done and what cannot be done. For example:

(1) Electric Scooters should be banned and fined

(2) Paddle Boarders should be restricted to "safe" locations, those that behave in an unsafe manner be fined

(3) All cyclists who ignore the CRT code should be banned from the towpath and those that repeatedly abuse the code be fined

(4) All fast food delivery service should be banned and their companies fined every time a cyclist or motorcyclist appears on the towpath

(5) Poorly training with the use of Go Boats should involve a fine to the company

(6) Any fines so accrued should be donated to the NHS

Not far from there the Dee has rapids by the Hotel may be this young man should try his skill there. "If at first you do not succeed try and try again" could be the epitaph that appears on the gravestone 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, manxmike said:

I wonder if the gene pool would have been better off if he had indeed taken a 100 foot fall. Almost a shame someone wasn't coming the other way.

Actually it's risk takers who have contributed well above average to human progress.  Most historical figures who are looked on as heroes, were risk takers.

It's those who sit at a screen, moaning online who generally hold back the gene pool.  And yes, I get the irony of this comment.

• Greenie 4

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Actually it's risk takers who have contributed well above average to human progress.  Most historical figures who are looked on as heroes, were risk takers.

It's those who sit at a screen, moaning online who generally hold back the gene pool.  And yes, I get the irony of this comment.

I personally think this bloke was being foolish, I certainly wouldn't do what he did but I also agree with what you say here completely, which suggests I am unlikely to contribute much to human progress I suppose :)

19 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

However, whilst this is undoubtedly true, the overwhelming majority of risk takers did not become heroes or contribute to progress and this guy is likely to remain amongst that number.

(The truth is, of course, it takes all sorts).

55 minutes ago, Heartland said:

There was that young man who fell off the Aqueduct after trying to walk along the outside of the towpath hanging in the cast iron rails. He died and the aftermath of that  folly seemingly encouraged the CRT to prevent such acts in future. May be it did not. The CRT appears to encourage paddle boaters whose activities can affect boaters. May be it is time there is a charter for well being stating what can be done and what cannot be done. For example:

(1) Electric Scooters should be banned and fined

(2) Paddle Boarders should be restricted to "safe" locations, those that behave in an unsafe manner be fined

(3) All cyclists who ignore the CRT code should be banned from the towpath and those that repeatedly abuse the code be fined

(4) All fast food delivery service should be banned and their companies fined every time a cyclist or motorcyclist appears on the towpath

(5) Poorly training with the use of Go Boats should involve a fine to the company

(6) Any fines so accrued should be donated to the NHS

Not far from there the Dee has rapids by the Hotel may be this young man should try his skill there. "If at first you do not succeed try and try again" could be the epitaph that appears on the gravestone 

Electric scooters are currently on legal on roads that aren't private when they a official hire scooters in the trial areas. It's just that shops still sell them and it appears no action is taken against people using them illegally. https://electroheads.com/blogs/news/electric-scooters-legal-uk-law

4 hours ago, Bacchus said:

Also I have it on good authority that this particular "influencer" has got his paddle-board the wrong way round  :boat:

The footage of him actually paddling across and back again has him correctly facing, the shot from on high has him the wrong way round, not sure what went on there other than him turning round a 360 on the board.

His board is missing the central larger fin which aids stability, he also doesn't have an ankle strap fitted, which is daft, as that board is his flotation device if he falls in, and would shoot off on its own without the strap.

The guy is an complete dickhead looking at his history of vlogging, problem is, others will try to copy and someone will get hurt.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

The footage of him actually paddling across and back again has him correctly facing, the shot from on high has him the wrong way round, not sure what went on there other than him turning round a 360 on the board.

His board is missing the central larger fin which aids stability, he also doesn't have an ankle strap fitted, which is daft, as that board is his flotation device if he falls in, and would shoot off on its own without the strap.

The guy is an complete dickhead looking at his history of vlogging, problem is, others will try to copy and someone will get hurt.

There's a slight difference between people doing stupid things after seeing them on the internet that will hurt if they go wrong and things like are quite likely to be fatal if they go wrong... 😞

Here's an interesting question -- if somebody emulates said idiot who has posted his idiocy up for people to see and copy, and they die as a result, does the idiot carry any blame -- morally or legally -- for their death? Or is it just Darwin in action?

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

he also doesn't have an ankle strap fitted, which is daft, as that board is his flotation device if he falls in, and would shoot off on its own without the strap.

Perhaps he didn’t wear an ankle strap on purpose, so that if he did fall over the edge at least his board wouldn’t get dragged to oblivion too…..every cloud! 

Seriously though, it’s utter stupidity. I thought CRT has guidance in place that paddle boards shouldn’t go across the aquaduct, or if they do you should not be stood up. 

I left a comment in the comments section about his stupidity but it appears to have disappeared. 🤣

Another you tuber that doesn't like criticism.

Some/most of the comments clearly feed his ego so he's likely to carry on doing stupid things until he dies doing it or ends up seriously injured. I wont be going to the 'vigil' if it's the former nor shed any tears.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

The risk takers who contribute to human progress are people like explorers, scientists, astronauts, and the like. Or people who take risks as an occupational hazard eg National Grid line workers, Wind turbine maintenance crew, Tree surgeons etc etc.

They are not taking the risk to simply massage their egos or for 'likes' on Social Media. 

There is a big difference.