Vandalism hot spots.

yabasayo

Featured Posts

I have read a few posts on here and elsewhere and seen a few youtube clips that refer to vandalism or places that are not safe to stay overnight.

Mention of mooring lines being cut, stones thrown at boats, theft and even a boat being set on fire.

Maybe this forum is a good place to identify such areas for the benefit of those who may pass by without the benefit of local knowledge ?

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

One-off or rare unfortunate occurrences don't make for "vandalism hot-spots".

Look at who the OP is.

Look at all the previous 'contentious' threads he has started and then never made a second post in them.

"Narrow boat prices are ridiculous"

"Never use a dry-powder extinguisher is a confined space"

"Canals are unpleasantly overcrowded"

Throws in the hand-grenade and walk away

Sooty & Sweep have nothing on him.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I've been cruising for 53 years - the only vandalism was in my home village of Hopwas at the time and stoning in Stoke which is common place in the areas mentioned - the canal system is generally very good if you are reasonably streetwise and strive to fit in rather than confront.

As with all things these days there is too much hype both in the formal and social media highlighting the bad aspects of our society

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Look at who the OP is.

Look at all the previous 'contentious' threads he has started and then never made a second post in them.

This is at least slightly unfair. I haven't seen the one about fire extinguishers, but the other two were good subjects for discussion. The "Overcrowded" one was in fact couched as a question, not a statement, and yes, he did make a further post in it.

That said, we haven't seen him for a week now.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Look at who the OP is.

Sooty & Sweep have nothing on him.

If you find my posts interesting enough to quote, please do actually quote rather than modifying my text to suit your emotive attention seeking needs

11 minutes ago, yabasayo said:

If you find my posts interesting enough to quote, please do actually quote rather than modifying my text to suit your emotive attention seeking needs

The remoulding of your actual words has been commented on (see post no.9). Welcome back anyway. 

Three months ago we went through Newton Heath and Failsworth and not a single stone was thrown at us, in fact some children even spoke nicely to us. Last year we were shot at when moored at one of the nicest mooring spots on the system!

...............Dave

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Stone throwing yoofs at Stoke on Trent.

Bricks thrown off the bridge  just before tunnel entrance (South end) Harecastle tunnel

Are you sure this wasn't the north end (the orange end?) Always considered the south portal one of the safe spots near Stoke (along with Westport lake)

I've been here and there all over the system, up and down the Macc, through Hursdfield and up the Peak Forest via Marple, through Stoke dozens of times in the last thirty years and never had any trouble apart from ropes cut one night about ten years ago on the T&M just by the junction.  Had a sherbet lemon thrown at me in Chester about twenty years ago. I ate it.

The thing about vandalism is that there aren't really any hotspots any more.  Towns are always dodgier than the countryside but kids have other things to occupy themselves with these days.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

I've been cruising for 53 years - the only vandalism was in my home village of Hopwas at the time and stoning in Stoke which is common place in the areas mentioned - the canal system is generally very good if you are reasonably streetwise and strive to fit in rather than confront.

As with all things these days there is too much hype both in the formal and social media highlighting the bad aspects of our society

Completely agree. There are no particular hot spots. We have been stoned only 3 times in nearly thirty years, once in Knottingley and twice in supposedly posh Thrupp on the south Oxford. Yes had the ropes let go a couple of times, last time being in Banbury a couple of years ago but hey ho its no big deal. If I moor on a river I tend to use chains and padlocks if there are people about.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Three months ago we went through Newton Heath and Failsworth and not a single stone was thrown at us, in fact some children even spoke nicely to us. Last year we were shot at when moored at one of the nicest mooring spots on the system!

...............Dave

I had a really peaceful nights sleep at Failsworth near the taxi office earlier this year too. I will admit  I did find the policewoman who knocked on the side of the boat to warn me a little worrying though ?

45 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I had a really peaceful nights sleep at Failsworth near the taxi office earlier this year too. I will admit  I did find the policewoman who knocked on the side of the boat to warn me a little worrying though ?

I would not choose to spend a night there, though its not as bad as Newton Heath. A friend spent an unplanned night in Failsworth very recently due to an empty pound and a big prop foul and she had no trouble.

What did policewoman advise you to do ???? ?

..............Dave

3 hours ago, yabasayo said:

I have read a few posts on here and elsewhere and seen a few youtube clips that refer to vandalism or places that are not safe to stay overnight.

Mention of mooring lines being cut, stones thrown at boats, theft and even a boat being set on fire.

Maybe this forum is a good place to identify such areas for the benefit of those who may pass by without the benefit of local knowledge ?

They are very few, not in any particular place, and very rare so stop worrying about it and get out there and actually use your boat!

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

I would not choose to spend a night there, though its not as bad as Newton Heath. A friend spent an unplanned night in Failsworth very recently due to an empty pound and a big prop foul and she had no trouble.

..............Dave

I must admit I didnt actually choose to spend the night there-I managed to miss where it was planned to stop (was travelling with another boat too) Judging by the locals they dont see many boats there for the night!

Police lady recommended I might want to move elsewhere (it was dusk) but failing that said she would let the station know I was there, to move closer to the taxi office and to ring if I had any trouble...

The only disturbance I got was from the taxi headlights and doors slamming throughout the night ?

In 5 years one youth found it fun to run along my roof at Adlington near Poynton on a hot summers day. Then another youth threw a brick at me from a bridge I'd just paddled under at High Lane in my kayak. That was on a freezing cold December day. He missed, but only just. That's it.

Problem with the internet is we all hear about things which happen to others, usually bad.  There are certain dodgy areas but it doesn't help to report them as more people stay away which makes them ever more dodgy.

Just use common sense, it's fairly easy to tell if an area is unsafe to moor:  Lots of bad graffitti, signs of vandalism, fly tipping, drug related litter, shady character hanging about under bridges. 

By the same token, it's best not to cruise through those areas on warm evenings.  Freezing monday mornings when it's sleeting is your best option.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

One of the first place we ran a pub was Failsworth!!  Never had a problem.