March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

I also came across this 14' monster at the weekend, which has been on this 13 mile pound for about 4 years now. 

He always moors leaving as little walking distance to his car as possible.

There were quite a few narrowboats before this so we were on tickover, strong winds on Sunday andthe offside is shallow and there was a fallen tree to the left. The front end brushed his, he was straight out shouting that "you dont know how to steer, there is at least a 100 foot to the bridge and your an f'in tosser"

I just pointed out the fact that he was IN the navigation channel again, and should moor more considerately. More abuse I couldnt hear as concentrating on getting through bridge hole, but I did wiggle my arse at him which made Kath giggle a bit.

20230529_121137_optimized.jpg

20230529_121228_optimized.jpg

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I also came across this 14' monster at the weekend, which has been on this 13 mile pound for about 4 years now. 

There were quite a few narrowboats before this so we were on tickover, strong winds on Sunday andthe offside is shallow and there was a fallen tree to the left. The front end brushed his, he was straight out shouting that "you dont know how to steer, there is at least a 100 foot to the bridge and your an f'in tosser"

I just pointed out the fact that he was IN the navigation channel again, and should moor more considerately. More abuse I couldnt hear as concentrating on getting through bridge hole, but I did wiggle my arse at him which made Kath giggle a bit.

He must be highly sensitised to boats hitting him to have been 'straight out shouting'. Imagine if you'd been 14ft wide too! 

Eventually the penny will drop, perhaps. It always strikes me that fatty owners are in general pretty thick-skinned. They have to be to ignore what a PITA they are to everyone else. 

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

1. You've got a great view when approaching the bridge hole from the first picture, not.

2. That's ugly. Why spend fortune on what looks like a floating skip, at least from the outside.

3. There's a certain arrogance that they are okay to be there yet, while you couldn't pass unimpeded, how would they expect a similar sized boat to them to be able to pass. 

2 minutes ago, Ianws said:

1. You've got a great view when approaching the bridge hole from the first picture, not.

2. That's ugly. Why spend fortune on what looks like a floating skip, at least from the outside.

3. There's a certain arrogance that they are okay to be there yet, while you couldn't pass unimpeded, how would they expect a similar sized boat to them to be able to pass. 

I'm not sure if I should have said arrogance or entitlement, perhaps both. 

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

That's the guy that moors with the ratchet-straps isn't it?

I expect (hope) he gets a hammering every weekend from the Gayton hire fleet!

Well to be fair he has got a sign on top of his boat indicating the position for ' Maxview', and you haven't yet reached it. Another 20ft and you will see right through that bridge.

He really needs to meet a similar sized craft as his own….love to see how they would both react. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ray T said:

This is good, innit!  "Oxford Canal (north) - narrow canal."

"Widebeam access to........."

So much for having to book a passage.

Sign at Braunston.

IMGP8263.JPG

There are two of those signs, one each direction approaching Braunston Turn on the GU, they have been there a couple of years.  They are supposed to book the passage, I get regular notifications from the stoppage system about widebeam movements, so some at least do book.  Does not make it right though.   

The Notifications for widebeam transits of Braunston and Blisworth tunnels is getting very frequent as well.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Ray T said:

This is good, innit!  "Oxford Canal (north) - narrow canal."

"Widebeam access to........."

So much for having to book a passage.

Sign at Braunston.

IMGP8263.JPG

Can't see the problem it's a sign for access and says no mooring for widebeams 

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

Can't see the problem it's a sign for access and says no mooring for widebeams 

The problem is that it was originally decreed that Fatties needed to book passage in advance and adhere to their proposed timings.

This was because being a narrow beam waterway with narrow bridge holes etc. and an under water profile not designed for easy passage without bottlenecks.  Heated tempers and bloody mindedness is on the cards without planning.  Especially in the narrows between Midland Chandlers and north of the road bridge.  

• Greenie 1

Not originally, it was only decreed that fatties should book passage in advance and not moor on the N Oxford after some incidents and much complaining by the narrow boating community.  I find it rather annoying that the standard email about these bookings asks narrowboaters to take care.  Last time we went that way it was apparent that more cutting back of offside vegetation would make it easier to pass a wide beam boat.  The warning signs unfortunately do not mention the need to make a booking.  

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

The problem is that it was originally decreed that Fatties needed to book passage in advance and adhere to their proposed timings.

This was because being a narrow beam waterway with narrow bridge holes etc. and an under water profile not designed for easy passage without bottlenecks.  Heated tempers and bloody mindedness is on the cards without planning.  Especially in the narrows between Midland Chandlers and north of the road bridge.  

2 minutes ago, Lady C said:

Not originally, it was only decreed that fatties should book passage in advance and not moor on the N Oxford after some incidents and much complaining by the narrow boating community.  I find it rather annoying that the standard email about these bookings asks narrowboaters to take care.  Last time we went that way it was apparent that more cutting back of offside vegetation would make it easier to pass a wide beam boat.  The warning signs unfortunately do not mention the need to make a booking.  

CRT need to sort ot out!

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

All they had to do was add "with prior booking" to the first sentence 🤷‍♂️ you had one job, etc.

Good point. 

Hang on though. Don't CRT have one or two other things to do, besides designing that sign?

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Good point. 

Hang on though. Don't CRT have one or two other things to do, besides designing that sign?

Sourcing new clothing and vehicles, designing new logo's, painting duck-lanes, collecting money, topping up the pension fund, issuing misleading 'Boaters Updates', arranging to have towpaths tarmacadamed (as opposed to macadamed)

• Greenie 1

"Unfortunately movement of the towpath side waterway wall underneath this bridge has caused the canal width to reduce by 120mm, and so, for the foreseeable future,  we’re having to for the foreseeable future reduce maximum beam for navigation from the published 12’6” to 12’."

That's a lot of foreseeable future :D 

• Greenie 1